Rolling stock display cabinet

Started by gavin_t, April 30, 2020, 02:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gavin_t

Hi

Apologies if this has been covered multiple times before but I couldn't find much information on my search of the forum.
Got a few locomotives and bits of rolling stock now which are currently stored in their original packages when not in use.
Does any have any display cabinets that they keep their models in?
Got a blank wall in the spare room/train room and thought I could make use of it and keep them all safe and dust free whilst been able to view them at the same time.
Much nicer to be able to appreciate them on show and not have to get them in and out of their boxes all the time

Thanks
Gavin

njee20

Lidl do them periodically which are quite well regarded and very affordable.

crewearpley40

Gavin there is a thread search display cabinets in that facility. It was started in Aug. 2014. Google n gauge display cabinet. I forgot lidl. IKEA.

njee20

This thread. I suspect many links are dead after 6 years though.

crewearpley40

Thanks nick. I have seen a couple in a used furniture recycling shop that may just need an extra shelf. Gavin could check the model magazines. How did @njee20   , nick make that link appear.

gavin_t

Quote from: njee20 on April 30, 2020, 02:10:54 PM
This thread. I suspect many links are dead after 6 years though.

Thanks for the link, your searching skills are far superior to mine  ;)

crewearpley40

Maybe worth asking local independent store or recommendations if at plus daughters or john dutfield or better still on  the phone or email to them

ntpntpntp

The Lidl vertical cabinets are good but heavy especially when you have all the glass shelves installed.  I made sure mine stood on cupboards not jsut relied on wall fixings.

There are firms out there offering cabinets, you'll seem them at the larger shows sometimes.  Picture Pride Displays (?) comes to mind, though personally I don't think I liked the style. They probably advertise in Railway Modeller etc.

Recently on ebay there was a genuine Farish cabinet for sale complete with grooved glass shelves etc.   I was tempted even though I don't run British N any more, but it was £400 collect from too far away.    Must admit I thought those cabinets remained the property of Farish, but....

Currently I'm on the lookout for ex shop-fitting display cabinets, something long and tall but not very deep, with storage underneath for all the boxes of whatever is on the shelves.  They're not cheap but one day something suitable will appear I'm sure.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

gavin_t

Quote from: crewearpley40 on April 30, 2020, 02:43:00 PM
Maybe worth asking local independent store or recommendations if at plus daughters or john dutfield or better still on  the phone or email to them

I was thinking about asking Ken at John Dutfield as it goes as I am in the process of discussing some other bits I want to collect via email.

gavin_t

Quote from: ntpntpntp on April 30, 2020, 02:47:43 PM
The Lidl vertical cabinets are good but heavy especially when you have all the glass shelves installed.  I made sure mine stood on cupboards not jsut relied on wall fixings.

There are firms out there offering cabinets, you'll seem them at the larger shows sometimes.  Picture Pride Displays (?) comes to mind, though personally I don't think I liked the style. They probably advertise in Railway Modeller etc.

Recently on ebay there was a genuine Farish cabinet for sale complete with grooved glass shelves etc.   I was tempted even though I don't run British N any more, but it was £400 collect from too far away.    Must admit I thought those cabinets remained the property of Farish, but....

I quite like the Lidl ones from what I have seen when I searched them. Could keep some of my other models in there as well too.
What are they like for keeping dust out. As it would be nice to keep some of the models in there unboxed.

ntpntpntp

@gavin_t  well the glass doors aren't totally sealed of course, but I've never had any probs with dust getting in.   

The worst thing I've had is when we had an earth tremor here in the South East around the Folkestone area a few years back, and a few things shuffled along the shelves a bit  :D
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

StufromEGDL

I have two of the Lidl ones as pictured above...you would have to collect from Swindon though.
£80 for both, brand new and still in their boxes.

Later,
Stu from EGDL.
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

Simon D.

Search Alsino display cabinets on Amazon. Lots of different ones including specifically for N.

Sent from phone.

Merrylee

Also try watsonsontheweb and wayfair, i've Seen some on their sites.

My mate had a few long rakes he wanted to show as complete, so what we did was put 2 cabinets together (they had wooden sides) and cut holes in each cabinet level with the shelf, curved brick lined cardboard around the cut, he then fitted Peco bridge/tunnel faces to the cabinet sides and it looked really effective as the loco and wagons passed right through both cabinets.
He also used the self adhesive LED tape which went right round the cabinet insides. Came in 5m lengths.

Ron

BramptonBranch

I have two from Picture Pride Displays, not cheap but designed for various gauges including of course n

Andy
You can never have to many Warships!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations