Forum Issues

Started by Tank, July 19, 2023, 05:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Speed seems fine now.

Ed

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bealman on July 23, 2023, 10:17:08 AMYeah, all OK now, but I still have a blank screen on my laptop.

Could you do a screen grab and show it on the forum please, George. I just can't picture in my mind what the issue is

ohlavache

Hello.
I would like to report an issue I have when viewing the forum on my smartphone.
The "Last post" column never appears, no matter I am in portrait or landscape mode, no matter "computer version" is ticked or not in my browser. So I can't identify which topics I want to read.
I don't have this issue on my computer or on my Android tab.
That would be nice if you could fix it.
Thanks.

PS: I am missing the flag below member's avatar to see in which country people live. But I can live without it of course.

Nbodger

A Minor issue

When posting, if you select and highlight a section of text and click on bold and italics to highlight, the the text appears bold only.

what is happening is a bold marker is inserted at the beginning of the text and two italic markers and one bold marker are inserted at the end of the text. One of the italic markers should be at the beginning of the text.

There is a work around and that is to re-select the relevant text plus markers and add the italic marker

Hope that all makes sense

Mike H

njee20

When I press "unread posts" I'm typically only getting 6-8 threads listed, where I'd expect hundreds (I may be prolific, but not that prolific!). Equally "updated topics" doesn't seem to be a chronological list of everything. 

Can we reverse the "preview" and "post" buttons too? I keep hitting preview on every post, which tells me they must be the other way around to before, or at least aren't the intuitive way around!

Ed

Going slow again and I've just had the following message

"Temporarily Unavailable
Due to high stress on the server the forum is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.
"

Ed

Nbodger

Quote from: Ed on July 23, 2023, 01:02:20 PMGoing slow again and I've just had the following message

"Temporarily Unavailable
Due to high stress on the server the forum is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.
"

That message appeared for me yesterday evening around 10:00pm

Agree that it was just slow taking 20 seconds plus to load at around 13:00 today

Mike H

crewearpley40

I've had same issue. Just patience

Ed

Now it's speeded up again.

It's like something is making the site very busy and slowing it down every now and again.

Very odd.

Ed

Edit Tried to post this and got the 'Temporarily Unavailable' message again.

Try again

Ed

Tank

Quote from: Nbodger on July 23, 2023, 12:05:59 PMA Minor issue

When posting, if you select and highlight a section of text and click on bold and italics to highlight, the the text appears bold only.

what is happening is a bold marker is inserted at the beginning of the text and two italic markers and one bold marker are inserted at the end of the text. One of the italic markers should be at the beginning of the text.

There is a work around
Quote from: Nbodger on July 23, 2023, 12:05:59 PMA Minor issue

There is a work around and that is to re-select the relevant text plus markers and add the italic marker

Mike H
[/i] and that is to re-select the relevant text plus markers and add the italic marker

Mike H

Yes, that's right.  A little annoying, but that's because you're selecting some text, adding code, and the cursor is placed in a position of the last highlight, as the job is done.  Then you want to do a second job/function, so you need to highlight the area to be altered once again.

Nbodger

Quote from: Tank on July 23, 2023, 01:26:21 PMYes, that's right.  A little annoying, but that's because you're selecting some text, adding code, and the cursor is placed in a position of the last highlight, as the job is done.  Then you want to do a second job/function, so you need to highlight the area to be altered once again.

That isn't how it used to work previously!

you only highlighted once, then select the functions required, used to do it on the majority of my posts

Mike H

Tank

Quote from: njee20 on July 23, 2023, 12:37:21 PMWhen I press "unread posts" I'm typically only getting 6-8 threads listed, where I'd expect hundreds (I may be prolific, but not that prolific!). Equally "updated topics" doesn't seem to be a chronological list of everything.

That's not good.  Have you cleared your cache on your browser?  Or, perhaps it's the forum is only showing you want you haven't seen since we've been on the new server?  Mine seems to work fine, and I presume that everyone elses is?  Let me know if not folks.

Quote from: njee20 on July 23, 2023, 12:37:21 PMCan we reverse the "preview" and "post" buttons too? I keep hitting preview on every post, which tells me they must be the other way around to before, or at least aren't the intuitive way around!

You'll get used to it.  :)

chrism

Quote from: Newportnobby on July 23, 2023, 10:30:54 AM
Quote from: Bealman on July 23, 2023, 10:17:08 AMYeah, all OK now, but I still have a blank screen on my laptop.

Could you do a screen grab and show it on the forum please, George. I just can't picture in my mind what the issue is

If he's still referring to the large area of blank screen between the NGF header image and the top of the table of posts tat he mentioned this morning, a screenshot will be a tad tricky - on mine that blank space is about the height of 9 hits on the [Page Down] key.

Train Waiting

Hello

I wonder if anyone can help.  I was looking for my draft posts and they are not there.  But I noticed a notice that drafts will be deleted automatically after seven days.  This is a new feature.  Does this mean that my draft posts have all gone?  I had a good few of these because I often work on a post for several weeks (or months!).

With many thanks and all good wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £25.67
Below Goal: £74.33
Site Currency: GBP
26% 
May Donations