Graham Farish 0-6-0 steam locos - how many types are there?

Started by E Pinniger, August 08, 2012, 04:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbo 57

:D To confuse matters even more, Grafar produced at least two versions of the Holden tank locomotive, one definitely a J69 with sandboxes?,  on the top of the water tanks. And another with a cab window beside the door and the dome is set further back. Haven't identified that yet but definitely one of the J60's.

Timbo 57

Timbo 57

Actually could be a J67/1 or J69/1 depending on boiler psi. :D

Timbo 57

Note this has no sandboxes and dome is placed further back

martyn

The 'sandboxes' on top of the tanks on J67/69 were tool boxes, I believe. Note that the position of the dome depended upon the diagram of boiler fitted, and also, on the prototype, likewise, the position of the safety valves. The full history of the two classes was intertwined and complicated, with different sized water tanks amongst other things. In general, 140lb (later, by LNER days, 160lb) boilers were J67, 180lb boilers J69. Engines could switch between classes/subclasses.
Martyn

BernardTPM

Quote from: Timbo 57 on November 09, 2016, 12:45:34 PM
Note this has no sandboxes and dome is placed further back

That one is the first 'General Purpose' tank, which has already been mentioned - a modification of the J69 to give something to offer in LMS and Southern colours (The GWR had the 94xx pannier, of course). Looks like that's been given a basic coat of black.

Roy L S

The loco illustrated above is definitely the later General Purpose Tank in that picture. I understand that the J69 tooling was modified to produce them.

The livery looks like a repaint. That vintage of GP Tank only came in LMS red and Southern green.

I don't think the box is original, the felt lined jewel case was provided for the J69, the GP Tanks came in a card sleeve type box with a plastic tray inside.

Also, just an observation the body isn't fitted on the chassis properly, there are two tiny protrusions on the rear of the chassis that fit in equally small holes in the rear of the body just above the buffer beam. They are visible from the exterior of the body as they go right through.

As to Farish 0-6-0s, my count is: -

Original

J69 BR Black, LNER Green, GER Blue
GP Tank LMS red, Southern Green
94xx Pannier GW Green, BR Black

Later metal chassis: -

94xx(Original Tooling for body)
Later GP Tank (Bigger based on the 94xx chassis)
94xx Newly tooled body.
J94 Saddle Tank
4F 0-6-0 Tender Loco (BR and LMS Black
Jinty
57xx Pannier

Bachbmann Farish "re-treads" finer wheels and better liveries: -

94xx
J94
4F
Jinty
57xx Pannier

New Bachmann Farish: -

J39
4F (coreless motor)
Jinty (coreless motor)
64xx Pannier (coreless motor)

To Come: -

J72

I think that's it!

Roy

Timbo 57

Thanks for the info, both have been serviced and painted by Ozymandius ready for transfers and detailing. I bought them 30 years ago. Run like a dream now😊

Timbo 57

Les1952

Looking at the photos of the Holden tanks I think there is a good reason why Farish and Dapol have yet to touch it (nor for that matter any of the OO manufacturers).

There were quite a lot of these locos and they got to a good number of places, but there were at least two (and possibly three) tank widths, two tank heights, two or three cab opening variants, two cab roof variants, and more than one bunker.

Add presence or absence of large toolboxes and domes usually on the first boiler ring (but maybe not always) it gets close to being a class of over 100 of which no two were the same.  Locos could also revert to an earlier version on overhaul so timelines were not all that logical.  Indeed it makes the Gresley A1/A3 class a very simple one to follow by comparison.

Rather a shame because it is a rather pretty little thing in the Liverpool Street Pilot version (or as preserved).

Les

Timbo 57

well if they could base it on the preserved one at Bressingham and do it in BR and GER liveries, That would make a nice addition. Better still a J15  :)

martyn

Some of the J69s sent to Scotland in the 30s returned to the GER section in the 50s, and had escaped Stratford's modifications-noticeably retaining the GER cab roof, and not the higher LNER one; at least some retained the GER stovepipe chimney; and despite having NBR style shunters' footsteps fitted. they still looked very close to the original GER version.
I agree almost with Les-there were so many variations that to get a commercial version for a number of liveries/long timescale is very difficult without VERY good research.
Pity-I could do with two or three (or their cousins, the J68s which basically had a side window cab).
A kit that fits not mentioned so far ( I think); I used the Farish Pannier chassis (57xx?) to go under a Langley LNER N7.
Martyn

lil chris

This is my GP Tank from the late 80's/ early 90's, as you can see comes with a box with a plastic sleeve. I bought this for a layout made for my two sons, the other loco I bought is a 4P which is in bits. The GP tank is a good runner it has been converted to dcc by Digitrains, I thought it was a Jinty for ages till coming on this site. I am thinking of buying a Langley kit to convert it into a L& Y tank engine.

Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

Timbo 57

While we are on this topic, did BR J69 etc have red coupling rods, I know the GER generally did?

Timbo 57

Ah just found out it may have been the Liverpool St pilot was the only one with red coupling rods

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations