Hattons enter n gauge market as manufacturer

Started by NGS-PO, November 19, 2018, 12:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NGS-PO

If you know someone who's depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn't a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they're going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It's hard to be a friend to someone who's depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do."

(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

Dr Al

Interesting announcement.

Reading the blurb it'll be interesting to see how the mechanism turns out - looks like only one chassis unit will be powered.

They are certainly not starting with the easiest of prototypes!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

emjaybee

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Steven B

Now that Hattons are scaling down the Bayer Garret to N I wonder if they could be persuaded to shrink the ICI hoppers and the newly anounced YOB General Purpous Crane too?

@Ben A @red_death how about twisting their arm?

ntpntpntp

It does look interesting, though I'm slightly concerned where it says in the specification "5 pole motor with wheels at the bunker end driven" - makes it sound as though the front end would be free-rolling (not driven)?   That would be disappointing if so.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Chetcombe

That came out of the blue! Great to see Hattons take the plunge and I know many of us will be excited to see this weird beast in N. Not suited to my layout at all, but that didn't stop me with the Blue Pullman!
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Dr Al on November 19, 2018, 12:17:22 PM
Reading the blurb it'll be interesting to see how the mechanism turns out - looks like only one chassis unit will be powered.

Yes that's how I read it too.  Disappointing if so.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

emjaybee

Quote from: ntpntpntp on November 19, 2018, 12:57:44 PM

Yes, but now you understand why it's £199 and not £250!

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Dr Al

Quote from: emjaybee on November 19, 2018, 01:05:30 PM
Quote from: ntpntpntp on November 19, 2018, 12:57:44 PM

Yes, but now you understand why it's £199 and not £250!

Maybe, but that will all depend on the performance - if it's haulage is low as a result then it being cheaper won't necessarily compensate. But alas this is speculation - all will be revealed in time for sure.

Cheers,
Alan

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

1936ace

i received an email from hattons. yes its only powered from the rear driving wheels. they never said why though. that said im getting one

Dr Al

Quote from: 1936ace on November 19, 2018, 01:10:05 PM
they never said why though. that said im getting one

Fairly simple to surmise why - motorising with a single central boiler mounted motor is only possible at one end as it'd be hard to mask or hide a driveshaft at the smokebox end. Presumably, double motoring each end would be a lot more expensive.

Cheers,
Alan

scottishlocos

All

Great Hattons is doing N Gauge this one is not for me but hopefully it will do well and more N locos and wagons will be released

1936ace

If this goes well maybe they could do some locos that were promised by others and never delivered

Ditape

Diane Tape

austinbob

Just read the Hatton's notification. Looks good. January 2020 availability seems a bit optimistic if they've just started the project.
:) :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations