Painting ratio Lineside Fencing

Started by tayloss, November 07, 2019, 08:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tayloss

Hi All,

I have picked up some Ratio & Peco line side fencing in brown and they could do with a dab of realism!

What is the consensus on paining them to make them look a little less plastic and more wooden? I have some railmatch sleeper grime, would that work or a cover of brown acrylic paint?

:searchingsign:

Thanks,
Chris

Bealman

The finer Ratio product is extremely resistant to paint. It is super flexible and I've never had any success with painting it, to the point of leaving it as it is.

The thicker Peco product may take to paint more easily, but I abandoned it long ago as overscale.

Good luck!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

port perran

I use acryllic applied as lightly as possible but it ends up looking a bit too shiny so once dried, I go over it with tamiya weathering paint to take off the gloss and dull it down a bit.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Newportnobby

Quote from: port perran on November 07, 2019, 09:07:55 AM
once dried, I goover it

An old Cornish expression to keep those English confused, Martin? :confused2: ;)

I found the Peco stuff requires priming before applying paint, as I found out when the first coat of paint just fell off :doh:

Bealman

The Ratio stuff is a million times worse
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

port perran

Quote from: Newportnobby on November 07, 2019, 10:04:19 AM
once dried, I goover it

An old Cornish expression to keep those English confused, Martin? :confused2: ;)

I found the Peco stuff requires priming before applying paint, as I found out when the first coat of paint just fell off :doh:

Ha Ha - amended. I rather like goover though  :D
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

tayloss

I use acryllic applied as lightly as possible but it ends up looking a bit too shiny so once dried, I go over it with tamiya weathering paint to take off the gloss and dull it down a bit.
Thanks Martin!

That sounds kind of like what I had in mind.. This is for the diorama rather than the layout, but someone mentioned etch brass fencing is a good replacement?

I have some dark umber brown somewhere, so will use that and weather it down a bit.. maybe a black wash in some areas to take the newness off it!

Every day is a learning day!

dannyboy

I recently painted some brown line side fencing, I think it might have been Ratio and all I did was give it a spraying from a Halfords rattle can. The paint I used was the basic grey primer. I then gave the fencing a light spraying of brown, (just checked and it was Rover Russet Brown). So I have brown fencing with a hint of grey. Looks okay to me.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Phoenix

Hi there,

Paint is really difficult to apply to the ratio fencing, as others have said, so it definitely needs primer, and like David, I use Halfords grey primer from a can.

Then a thin wash of brown, and a dusting of powders seem to do the trick.  :D

Old wooden fencing in real life is often more grey than brown  :thumbsup:

Here is some of the Ratio brown fencing on Windmill Hill

All best wishes

Kevin

:beers:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP