Why do you put up with it ??

Started by m1racleman, March 28, 2011, 10:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m1racleman

I was just wondering how many other folks  got as fed up as me with not being able to read through a thread without coming across pointless and childish comments ?

Tank

You're back again!  Thought we'd lost you. ;D

cloughie

all depends on what you call " pointless and childish comments ?, can you give an example please

cloughie 

am I there yet

longbridge

I haven't seen any "pointless and childish comments" on this forum which to me is a big plus, I have found it useful in my hobby and all threads I have read seem to be posted in an easy to read and friendly way.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Mustermark

There is a lot of good humoured and harmless banter.  But I think that is what adds to the friendly atmosphere.

There's a lot that is helpful and informative, and I think the atmosphere helps to make it a safe place to ask the occasional beginner's question or just post some progress because people seem interested.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

findus

Quote from: Zunnan on March 28, 2011, 06:25:32 PM
I have to admit that I have a very good idea about exactly what he means, its the only detractor I find with this forum which is otherwise a good read and reference source. It is extremely frustrating at times and completely changes the tone of what would otherwise be very useful topics.

I agree to a certain level, but after a long day to come and read a good topic with the odd bit of friendly banter is good.. i feel i can almost say anything on this forum knowing i wont upset people.
This is very important to have a good member base for our comfort and people looking in on our chat, it makes the forum more appealing to people just like me who have been members of other forums but could not join in as my model knowlege is almost nill, but now with the light hearted banter i can ask and feel ok too..

i hope all that makes sense if not im sorry in advance   :-[

michael

ive been on a few forums and this is by far and away the most friendly, honesty if you think people on here are childish or otherwise, I can promise you Ive seen stuff 100 times worse, train related too sadly.  :(

Richard G Dallimore

I findthis a far more relaxed, friendly forum than others. On another N Gauge forum I had to step in try to defund a member from a serious malicious and verging on liable character assisgnation. I have seen on other forums people only responding to railway or modelling questions with comments about spelling or grammer. Even stating that as they know the answer everyone should. Like Findus I am new to this hobby and we all need some where we can ask the basic questions as well as the more advanced. As I said at the start I have not seen any nasty, pointless or childish coments on here. I am sorry if you have been offended on here, but they are far worse forums in my opinion.
Regards
Richard
Formerly NtasticShop
Now N'Tastic Scale Models & Copper Mine Miniatures
https://www.coppermineminiatures.co.uk/n-tastic-scale-models
https://www.facebook.com/NTasticScaleModels

findus

Thats true i do like cake  :o but back to it, i do understand what your getting at now.
if it was stupid and related thats ok but a non related stupid answer is pointless.

Is that what you mean?

m1racleman

Quote from: findus on March 28, 2011, 06:34:18 PM
I have to admit that I have a very good idea about exactly what he means, its the only detractor I find with this forum which is otherwise a good read and reference source. It is extremely frustrating at times and completely changes the tone of what would otherwise be very useful topics.

I agree to a certain level, but after a long day to come and read a good topic with the odd bit of friendly banter is good.. i feel i can almost say anything on this forum knowing i wont upset people.

I can tell you for a fact that you can say what you like and insult whoever you want, JUST SO LONG AS YOU PUT A COUPLE OF SMILEYS AFTER THE COMMENTS!!

Why beat about the bush?? You all know who I am on about and you all know how irritating his comments are but you just put up with it !! If he made half of his comments in public, he would probably be arrested and charged with behavior likely to cause a breach of the peace .

I really don't care about any reprisals as this will be my final visit to the forum. I have over the last few days, been trying to find interesting threads that are NOT spoilt by his stupid remarks. See if you can find one but don't hold your breath. I wish the forum and most of it's members well but I for one will not put up with him when I don't have to.

zwilnik

This is something every forum will have issues with :) Each forum user's tolerance for off topic differs and there'll always be some disagreements somewhere, which is where it's really down to what level the mods think is reasonable.

However, as a non mod, if you think a post is wildly off topic (ie it gets in the way of you being able to get involved with that thread or gain the information it's meant to give), there's always the report to moderator option. It's up to the moderators as to how the post is dealt with, but it's an easy way to let the mods know if a particular thread is getting a bit wild or if certain posts need to be moved to the off topic waffle zone :)

Each to their own though, sometimes a little tolerance for the odd bit of waffle can go a long way to keeping a forum a friendly place ;)

findus

Quote from: m1racleman on March 28, 2011, 07:42:43 PM
Quote from: findus on March 28, 2011, 06:34:18 PM

I can tell you for a fact that you can say what you like and insult whoever you want, JUST SO LONG AS YOU PUT A COUPLE OF SMILEYS AFTER THE COMMENTS!!

Why beat about the bush?? You all know who I am on about and you all know how irritating his comments are but you just put up with it !! If he made half of his comments in public, he would probably be arrested and charged with behavior likely to cause a breach of the peace .

I really don't care about any reprisals as this will be my final visit to the forum. I have over the last few days, been trying to find interesting threads that are NOT spoilt by his stupid remarks. See if you can find one but don't hold your breath. I wish the forum and most of it's members well but I for one will not put up with him when I don't have to.

So have you been insulted directly by this member or is it an insult to you that the threads are filled with mindless dribble?  

m1racleman

So have you been insulted directly by this member or is it an insult to you that the threads are filled with mindless dribble?  
[/quote]
Yes I have been personally insulted by this peson and it was reported ! But as I said earlier, he had put a couple of smileys after the insuls so Mods thought that was acceptable !!!!

findus

Quote from: m1racleman on March 28, 2011, 08:05:21 PM

Yes I have been personally insulted by this peson and it was reported ! But as I said earlier, he had put a couple of smileys after the insuls so Mods thought that was acceptable !!!!
[/quote]

Oh thats where its diffrent then, im sorry you have had to go through that.

m1racleman

Quote from: BROADTRAIN1979 on March 28, 2011, 08:17:49 PM
Ive not been on here for four days, so dont blame meif thats how far you are dating back? and also since H SITUATION i feel everyones turned on me, sorry all if i have now degraded the forum ,but like i say im me and since my bad health i look at life differently. ;) Yes of course i take modeliing seriously blimey!! probably more fanatical than most on here, with what im trying to achieve but humour goes a long way with me, as life isnt short enough to cuphands drinking chocolate ;) anyway miracle man sorry i chased you off, still no one can stop me from modelling. Anyway sorry for being totally annoying as its me you are talking about isnt it miracle man ;) :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :Class414:

You know what they say about caps fitting ??

And stop using your health as a excuse for your behavior !! You are not the only person who has been or is seriously ill and we dont use it as an excuse to behave the way you do !!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations