DCC short circuits

Started by Paddy McF, December 05, 2023, 10:05:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paddy McF

I have had several incidents where locos have been damaged by undetected short circuits with DCC usually causing wheel distortion and sometimes their support framework, the result is that the loco does not work and sometimes can't be repaired if too old.
Does anyone else have this problem and if so do you know how to prevent it happening?

Quicknick

Hi Paddy,

I use an NCE DCC system, and my layout is divided into 5 zones, each protected by a DCC Specialities PSX1, or the newer PSXX1. They can be set from about 1.2A up to 10A. And provide excellent instantaneous protection. They can be set to auto or manual reset when a short occurs.
Nick

ntpntpntp

@Paddy McF   can you tell us which DCC system you're using? Does it have built-in short protection or are you relying on an add-on device for that?
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

willike1958

I had a similar frustrating and expensive problem until I split my layout into two zones and fitted both power buses with an NCE EB1 circuit breaker. I would also advise to power point motors and other accessories from a separate bus if you don't already have this arrangement.
Kevin

martyn

I've seen this twice, once on  a friend's dc layout, and once on my own dcc one.

The only conclusion we could come to-and it may well be wrong-is that the locos concerned inadvertently were parked across an isolating joint and acted as conductor through the chassis.

But this could be completely wrong, we both have never had it happen since (thankfully).

Martyn

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations