A Children's Christmas Story: Jenny and Father Christmas

Started by Chris in Prague, November 25, 2023, 03:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris in Prague

Copyright Christopher Shallow MSc 2023

As it is exactly four weeks to Christmas, I thought I'd begin a Christmas story featuring one of the least-known 'Chelsea Girls' and a special Christmas railway goods van, which will end in Trevelver Castle's Grand Christmas Eve party in the Great Hall during the Great Snow of 1962.

It was Saturday, December 22nd 1962. The winter of 1962-1963 was to be one of the coldest winters in the United Kingdom in the Twentieth Century. Jenny Davies, a shy young Welsh woman, barely out of her teens, with blonde hair, the brightest blue eyes, and a short, round face, was feeling very worried. Angela Evans, the very methodical organiser among the group of friends known as the 'Chelsea Girls', was ill in bed with a bad case of the 'flu, or so it was said. So, instead of Angela, Jenny had been tasked with organising the last-minute delivery of a special railway van of Christmas presents to Trevelver Castle in North Cornwall. Jenny's friends were all busy helping prepare Trevelver Castle's traditional Christmas Eve party in its Great Hall.

The problem was that snow had begun to fall in Cornwall on December 12th to the 13th and was forecast to continue throughout Christmas. The snow was so heavy that it had blocked roads and railways, brought down power lines and stranded villagers. However, Jenny knew if she could only contact them, she could count on her childhood friends, Father Christmas and his elves, and the 'North Pole Express' to help her deliver the goods van load of presents from Santa's Workshop on time. But how could she get in touch with Father Christmas?

Chris in Prague

Jenny and her friends, known as the 'Chelsea Girls,' were gathered around a well-scrubbed oak table in Trevelver Castle's Great Kitchen. The delightful warmth of hot cocoa accompanied the enchanting stories spun by Sylvia's cherished Cornish nanny, 'Nursie,' Widow Curnow. 'Nursie' told them tales of the castle's history, the area's legends, and local customs.

But what really caught Jenny's attention was when 'Nursie' spoke about a magical mailbox in Cardinham Woods that could send letters directly to Father Christmas at the North Pole. She said that she had used it when she was a little girl. She told them that she had written a letter to Father Christmas every year, telling him how much she loved and appreciated his gifts.

However, not everyone believed Widow Curnow. Some of the 'Chelsea Girls' laughed at what they thought was 'Nursie's' childish and silly story. Monique Gournay, a stunning brunette Parisienne fashion model, dismissed the charming fairy tales of the English as naive.

Sylvia did not like what Monique said. She thought that Monique was being mean to 'Nursie'. So, Sylvia spoke up and defended her nanny against Monique's unkind words. Sylvia's best friend, Elayne Guillou from Brittany, also supported 'Nursie' and said that Parisiennes were shallow.

The 'Chelsea Girls' did not like how Monique was being negative and mean.

'Big' Belinda Andersen, with her blonde hair and oval face, spoke about their common love for Christmas and its traditions.

With her long, dark, wavy blonde hair and brown eyes, Suzi Williams emphasised that while not everyone may believe in magic or miracles, they shared a common belief in the power of kindness. Suzi said kindness could make a big difference in someone's life, bringing joy and healing to the soul.

Amanda Morgan finished by urging Monique not to make fun of people's traditions and beliefs. She asked Monique to judge them by their actions, words, and deeds, also emphasising the importance of kindness.

Monique felt very sorry for her words. She wanted to make things right with Sylvia, 'Nursie', and the 'Chelsea Girls'. She said: "Sylvia, I'm so sorry for what I said. I was wrong to mock your story, Widow Curnow. I was wrong to think that any of my friends were naive or gullible. You are not. You are smart, kind, and generous. You have a wonderful friend in 'Nursie', Sylvia, who has shared the magic of Cardinham Woods and Father Christmas with us."

She continued: "I hope you can forgive me for my rudeness. I hope that we can stay friends. I don't want to lose you over this silly argument. We have so much in common despite our differences. We all love Christmas, we all love stories, we all love kindness. We are all friends, no matter where we come from or what we believe in."

Sylvia and 'Nursie' were happy to hear Monique's apology. They knew that it takes courage to admit mistakes and ask for forgiveness. Sylvia said: "We forgive you, Monique. We know that you didn't mean to hurt anyone. We know that you are a good person at heart. We are glad that you are our friend."

The other 'Chelsea Girls' agreed: "We forgive you, Monique. We are happy that you realised your mistake and apologised. We are happy that we can all be friends again. We are happy that we can all enjoy Christmas together." Then, each of them got up and gave Monique a big hug.

Monique then admitted that she was grumpy because she had received a telegram cancelling an important photo shoot in London in the New Year, which she had been really looking forward to.

And so, Jenny and her friends learned an important lesson: that kindness and forgiveness are part of the true magic of Christmas. They knew they would always be there for each other, no matter what, and they would always be friends, no matter where they came from or what they believed in.

Chris in Prague

With Widow Curnow's tale of the magic of Cardinham Woods still fresh in her mind, Jenny packed a small, sturdy rucksack with some hearty snacks, a thermos of hot, sweet tea, a flashlight with spare batteries, a walking map, snowshoes, and her much-loved childhood companion, a small brown bear named Teddy. Lastly, she grabbed some dry bread slices to fill her winter coat's pockets. Dressing warmly with her matching woollen scarf, hat, and gloves before pulling on her long, warmly lined boots, she set out from the snowbound Trevelver Castle, leaving behind a note to her friends explaining where she was headed.

Jenny stepped out of the grand front entrance of Trevelver Castle and onto the long drive that led down to the main road. The snow was falling steadily, but the drive had been kept fairly clear by a pair of tractor-powered snowploughs repeatedly driven by Lord Trevelver and the Castle Estate's General Manager, Marrek Prowse.

Jenny fastened her long winter coat tightly around her and pulled her hat down over her ears. She could feel the cold wind biting at her cheeks and nose. She took a deep breath and started walking down the drive. She had a long journey ahead of her but was determined to succeed. As she walked downhill, she noticed that the snow was falling harder and faster than before. The wind was picking up, and the snow was drifting more. How would she be able to get through it?

Chris in Prague

The snow crisply crunched under Jenny's feet as she walked down the long drive from Trevelver Castle. The tall sycamore trees on either side of the drive were covered in a blanket of sparkling white. The only sound was the soft rustling of snow as it fell from overloaded branches. Jenny walked slowly, taking in the beauty of the winter landscape. She felt a sense of peace and calmness.

As Jenny walked, she looked up and saw a beautiful tawny owl flying soundlessly high above her. The owl had large, round eyes and soft, brown feathers. It was gliding gracefully through the snowy air, its wings spread wide. She knew that its home was a tree cavity in the Castle grounds.

She also saw the occasional animal track in the snow. There were rabbit tracks, deer tracks, and even the tracks of a fox. Jenny wondered where her animal friends were now and how they were surviving in the snow and cold. She worried about the animals and their ability to survive in such unusually harsh conditions.

Finally, after what seemed like hours, Jenny reached the main road running across the hills from the coastal town of Penmayne to Bodmin and Wadebridge. She looked back at the distant silhouette of Trevelver Castle standing tall among the snow-shrouded ash, beech, oak, and sycamore trees and smiled, thinking of her friends hard at work and relying on her. To her dismay, she found that massive drifts of snow completely blocked the road. The top of the bus stop sign by the open Castle Gates at the foot of the drive was just visible, poking from a particularly tall drift. Her friend, the robin, was perched on top of the sign, looking at Jenny with a curious expression.

Jenny felt a sense of panic. There was no way that she could get past such enormous snowdrifts. She looked around for help, but there was no one in sight. She felt alone and scared. How would she get to Bodmin, then Cardinham Woods, now?

Chris in Prague

Jenny Davies was a special young woman, descended from a long line of Celtic chiefs and druids. She had inherited a magical gift that allowed her to talk with animals and birds. Whenever she was alone, the animals and birds would come to her and speak to her in their own language. They would tell her about their lives, their dreams, and their secrets. Jenny felt blessed to have this gift and used it to help her animal and bird friends whenever possible.

Jenny looked up at her friend the robin and asked him if he could fly up to see if there was anything coming along the road from the direction of Penmayne. The robin flew up into the snowy air and circled around a few times, scanning the horizon for any signs of movement. After a few minutes, the robin returned to Jenny and perched on her shoulder. He told her he could see an enormous yellow snowplough lorry in the distance approaching slowly, followed by a green single-decker 'bus. Jenny felt very relieved; help was on the way. She thanked the robin for his help and gave him a small piece of bread from her coat pocket as a token of her gratitude. The robin chirped happily and flew away, disappearing into the snowy landscape.

Jenny stepped out into the centre of the road where the snow was not so deep, as most of it had been blown into a massive drift along its edge. She could feel the cold snow crunching under her feet as she walked. The wind was howling, and the snow was falling harder than ever. She worried about the driver of the snowplough, high up in his cab. Could he see her through the falling snow and stop his massive vehicle in time? She was gripped with fear.

Chris in Prague

Jenny's friend, the robin, had been keeping a close eye on her as she waited near the bus stop. The robin had been circling just in front of the snowplough's cab windows, making sure that the driver could see Jenny. As the snowplough neared Jenny, the robin started urgently tapping on the windscreen in front of the driver. The driver saw the robin and slowed down, coming to a stop just inches away from Jenny. Her heart was in her mouth as she saw the massive sloping orange and white striped snowplough blade looming over her. She was very relieved as she realized that she was safe. The driver of the snowplough got out and helped Jenny climb up the steps and into the cosy cab, telling her that the 'bus behind was jampacked. The cab door proudly carried the words, 'Penmayne Urban District Council Snowplough No.1'. After introducing herself and explaining that she needed to get to Bodmin, Jenny felt warm and safe as they slowly cleared a way through the snowdrifts. Through the rear mirror, Jenny could see the packed 'Southern National' 'bus, its windows all misted up, coming from Penmayne to Bodmin and Wadebridge, crawling behind the big lorry.

The snowplough driver told Jenny that his name was Jowan Trelawny, but she could call him John. John told Jenny that everyone had laughed when the council decided to buy such a big Scammell 'Mountaineer' snowplough lorry, saying that it would never be needed. John explained that he had been driving the massive four-wheel drive lorry all day around Penmayne but had volunteered to clear the Bodmin road so that the only 'bus to make the journey could carry people stranded in Penmayne after doing their Christmas shopping and meeting friends and relatives back to their homes in Bodmin and Wadebridge in time for Christmas. He showed her a framed picture of his wife and twins, a boy and a girl, waiting for him back in Penmayne when he returned, followed by the 'bus. Jenny felt deeply grateful to John for his kindness and selflessness.

She watched through the windscreen as the snowplough blade forced cascades of snow to one side of the road, making a path for the following 'bus to pass along. She could hear the loud rumble of the powerful diesel engine in front of the cab and the constant scraping of the plough against the drifted snow. The snow flew up in the air and fell back down in a shower of bright white.
As they powered through the snowdrifts, Jenny's friend, the robin, flew just ahead to warn them of any hidden obstacles. The robin was a loyal friend and had been keeping a close eye on Jenny throughout her journey. He chirped happily as he flew, leading the way through the snow. Jenny felt a sense of comfort knowing that the robin was watching over her.

Chris in Prague

Finally, the two snow-covered vehicles arrived in Bodmin, and the grateful passengers got out of the 'bus, before the vehicles set off for Wadebridge and then Penmayne. After thanking John, Jenny carefully climbed down from the enormous lorry, put on her snowshoes, and set off again. The snow was deep and powdery, but her snowshoes helped her walk on top of the snow. She could feel the snow under her feet and hear it crunching with each step she took. The sound was soothing and peaceful as it echoed through the snowy winter landscape. Jenny felt a sense of calm as she walked, listening to the repeated sound. She knew that she was never alone, thanks to her connection with all living creatures. She decided to ask every animal she met if they knew where the magical mailbox was. Surely, at least one would know?

First, she asked a passing badger, "Excuse me, Mr. Badger, do you know where I can find a magical mailbox that sends letters directly to Father Christmas at the North Pole?" The badger replied, "I'm sorry, Jenny, I don't know. But I wish you luck on your journey!"

Jenny then asked a deer, "Excuse me, Mr. Deer, do you know where I can find a magical mailbox that sends letters directly to Father Christmas at the North Pole?" The deer replied, "I'm sorry, Jenny, I don't know. But I hope you find what you're looking for!"

Jenny then asked a fox, "Excuse me, Mr. Fox, do you know where I can find a magical mailbox that sends letters directly to Father Christmas at the North Pole?" The fox replied, "I'm sorry, Jenny, I don't know. But I wish you all the best!"

Jenny then asked a hedgehog, "Excuse me, Mr. Hedgehog, do you know where I can find a magical mailbox that sends letters directly to Father Christmas at the North Pole?" The hedgehog replied, "I'm sorry, Jenny, I don't know. But I hope you find what you're looking for!"

Jenny then asked a rabbit, "Excuse me, Mr. Rabbit, do you know where I can find a magical mailbox that sends letters directly to Father Christmas at the North Pole?" The rabbit replied, "I'm sorry, Jenny, I don't know. But I wish you luck on your journey!"

Jenny then asked a squirrel, "Excuse me, Mr. Squirrel, do you know where I can find a magical mailbox that sends letters directly to Father Christmas at the North Pole?" The squirrel replied, "I'm sorry, Jenny, I don't know. But I hope you find what you're looking for!"

Next, Jenny asked a blue tit, "Excuse me, Mr. Blue Tit, do you know where I can find a magical mailbox that sends letters directly to Father Christmas at the North Pole?" The blue tit replied, "I'm sorry, Jenny, I don't know. But I wish you all the best!"

Jenny then asked a great tit, "Excuse me, Mr. Great Tit, do you know where I can find a magical mailbox that sends letters directly to Father Christmas at the North Pole?" The great tit replied, "I'm sorry, Jenny, I don't know. But I hope you find what you're looking for!"

Finally, Jenny asked a robin, "Excuse me, Mr. Robin, do you know where I can find a magical mailbox that sends letters directly to Father Christmas at the North Pole?" The robin replied, "I'm sorry, Jenny, I don't know. But I wish you luck on your journey!"

Jenny felt very sad and hopeless.

Chris in Prague

Then she heard a hooting sound. She looked up and saw a tawny owl perched on a nearby tree. "Excuse me, Mr. Tawny Owl", she said. "Do you know where I can find a magical mailbox that sends letters directly to Father Christmas at the North Pole?"

The owl hooted and replied, "Yes, Jenny, I do. The mailbox is hidden in the centre of Cornwall, deep in Cardinham Woods, just outside Bodmin, and is guarded by a group of friendly elves. But be careful; even the most beautiful forest can be dangerous at night. Good luck on your journey, Jenny!"

Jenny thanked the tawny owl, checked her map under a sheltering tree, and then set off towards Cardinham Woods, her heart filled with hope. Jenny walked for about an hour on the deep, crisp snow until she reached the edge of a mixed woodland. She saw a wooden sign that stated 'Cardinham Woods' and followed the arrow that pointed to the right. Her map showed her that the woods were nestled in a beautiful valley with a stream and viewpoints.

Soon, Jenny was inside Cardinham Woods, following a winding path that led her deeper and deeper among the snow-covered trees of the vast 650-acre woodland. She walked for hours. At first, her heart was full of anticipation; then, she started to feel scared and lonely. She wished she had brought a friend with her. She wondered if anyone would look for her after finding her note.

Suddenly, a loud growl echoed through the forest. Startled, Jenny spun around and found herself face-to-face with a pair of glowing eyes. It was a big wolf, and it looked very hungry. Jenny remembered reading in the 'Cornish & Devon Post' that some wolves had escaped from Willoughby Chase, and a few had already reached Cornwall. The article stated that an unknown person had illegally imported packs of wolves to Willoughby Chase; it was said that they wanted to save the wolves from the bitter cold of Eastern Europe and Russia. Jenny tried to run away, but she tripped over a root and fell, her breath knocked out of her. The hungry wolf crept closer and closer, baring its sharp teeth. Jenny felt very faint.

Chris in Prague

Just when she thought it was the end for her, she heard a short hoot above her. It was her friend, the tawny owl. The big owl swiftly and soundlessly swooped down and landed on the wolf's head with its talons extended. The wolf was surprised by the owl's sudden attack and tried to shake it off, but the owl held on tight. The wolf ran away, leaving Jenny unharmed. The tawny owl had saved her!

The owl then flew back to Jenny's side and asked if she was alright. Jenny got up on her feet, thanked her friend and said she was okay. The bird then explained to Jenny that the woods could be hazardous at night. There were many dangers lurking in the shadows, not only wolves waiting for unsuspecting passersby. But the owl told her that she was not alone. She had friends in the woods who would protect her.

The owl then called out to the other animals and birds in the woods. He asked them to help Jenny find the magical mailbox and protect her from harm as she searched. The animals and birds immediately agreed. Jenny was surrounded by a group of loyal friends who stood guard around her. The badger, the deer, the fox, the hedgehog, the rabbit, the squirrel, the blue tit, the great tit, and the robin all used their sharp senses to detect any danger and their quick reflexes to fend off any attack. Jenny felt safe and happy, she had friends who cared for her and would protect her as she continued her search for the magical mailbox.

Chris in Prague

Jenny walked further down the path, which was getting narrower and steeper. She had to be careful where she stepped. Suddenly, she realized that she had lost track of time and had no idea where she was or how to get back to Trevelver Castle. With her flashlight, she looked at her map and realized, with shock, that she was very close to a steep slope. She could hear the sound of water rushing below. She tried to turn back, but it was too late. She was already standing at the edge. Shining her flashlight, she saw that it was a long way down. She felt dizzy and scared.

Chris in Prague

Suddenly, Jenny heard a rustling behind her. She turned around and saw her friends, the animals and birds, rushing towards her. They formed two circles; the animals held each other's tails while the birds held each other's wings. They then formed their circles around Jenny and asked her to place her feet one in front of the other while the animals guided her steps, and the birds, led by the tawny owl at her back, gently guided her back to where she had missed the turning. She felt the strength and warmth of her friends around her. They had warned her of the steep slope and saved her from tumbling into the icy stream below.

Jenny's friends continued looking out for her. Whenever she was about to take the wrong turn in the path, one of her animal friends would warn her and promise to keep alerting her to unseen dangers.

Suddenly, she heard a rustling behind her. Was it the wolf coming for her again? No, it was her friend, the badger. The badger warned her to be careful where she was about to step because of some roots that might trip her. Jenny thanked the badger and continued walking.

As she walked further, she heard more rustling. It was her friend, the deer. The deer warned her to be careful of some low-hanging branches ahead that might hit or cut her. Jenny thanked the deer and continued walking.

As she walked on, she heard rustling again. It was her friend, the fox. The fox warned her to be careful of some thorns ahead that might cut her and some nettles that might sting her. Jenny thanked the fox and continued walking.

Jenny felt safe and happy, knowing that she was not alone in the snow-covered woods. Her friends cared for her and had promised to protect her, alerting her to any dangers she could not see. Jenny thanked them and continued her journey, following the winding track. She felt lucky to have such wonderful friends and hoped that the path would soon lead her to the mailbox.

Chris in Prague

Finally, Jenny saw a small clearing among the tall trees. In the centre of the clearing stood a beautiful bright red and green mailbox, its pointed roof covered in snow and decorated with twinkling colour lights.

Jenny approached the mailbox and opened the door. Inside, she found a stack of blank letter paper and matching envelopes with a silver pen under a small sign that read, "Write your letter to Father Christmas here". Jenny took a deep breath and began to write. She poured her heart out onto the paper, telling Father Christmas all about her worries and fears.

When she finished, she addressed the letter to "Father Christmas, The North Pole", placed the letter in the envelope, sealed it and dropped it into the mailbox. She closed the flap and firmly closed the door. As she turned to leave, she heard a soft jingling sound. She looked back, and a group of friendly elves appeared, smiling, and waving at her.

Before leaving the clearing, Jenny took out her rucksack and pulled out the hearty snacks and her thermos of hot, sweet tea. She also had some dry bread slices in her coat pockets. She called out to her friends, and they all gathered around her. She shared all her food and tea with them, making sure everyone had enough to eat and drink. The badger and the hedgehog enjoyed the nuts and berries while the deer and the rabbit nibbled on the bread slices. The blue tit, the great tit, and the robin sipped the warm tea from the thermos' cup while the squirrel and the fox munched on the biscuits.

Jenny was delighted to see her friends enjoying the food and drink. After they finished eating, she waved goodbye to them and promised to come back soon. Her friends said goodbye as she walked away, feeling happy and content. Jenny's act of kindness made her woodland friends feel loved and appreciated. They knew they could always count on her. And that is what true friendship is all about sharing, caring, and being there for each other.

Chris in Prague

At last, Jenny had found the special mailbox and had posted her letter to Father Christmas. She set off on the long journey back through the snow to Trevelver Castle, her heart filled with hope and joy. She had found new friends in the woods and promised to visit them again with gifts of food. She also promised herself to tell the other 'Chelsea Girls' about her adventure and thank them for giving her a reason to meet her animal and bird friends.

Jenny had been walking for hours through the snow-covered woods of Cardinham. She had been so focused on finding the mailbox she had not realized how tired she was. It was not until she left the woods and her friends that her exhaustion hit her. She was completely drained, her legs felt heavy, and her feet were throbbing. She realized it was many miles back to Trevelver Castle and was unsure if she had the strength to make it. She felt fear rising in her chest. She could feel the cold wind biting at her cheeks and nose. She knew that she had to be careful and save her energy. She took a deep breath and kept walking, taking small steps and resting often. She felt a sense of growing desperation as she walked, listening to the rhythm of her snowshoes on the snow. Finally, Jenny lay down in the snow, just for a little rest, she told herself, although she seemed to hear her small brown bear, Teddy, warning her not to. She let out a deep sigh; she was so tired. She felt the bite of cold snow against her face but no longer cared. She was too tired to move. Then, just before she closed her eyes, she saw a ghostly figure rapidly approaching out of the falling snow.

Chris in Prague

As the figure got closer, she saw that it was a Roman centurion. The centurion saluted crisply and introduced himself as Marcus Dubricius, telling Jenny that his tribune at the Roman fortress of Isca Dumnoniorum – which Jenny knew as Exeter – had sent him to guide her safely back to Trevelver Castle, after lifting her up and respectfully brushing off the snow.

As Jenny lay half-conscious in the snow, her tawny owl friend had been closely watching over her. The owl saw the Roman centurion striding across the snow and knew that he could help Jenny. The snow was falling heavily, and the centurion was struggling to find Jenny. Suddenly, he heard a hooting sound. He looked up and saw a tawny owl. The owl hooted again as it flew through the falling snow. The centurion followed the owl, and it guided him to where Jenny lay, covered in a thin layer of newly fallen snow. The centurion, recalling that owls were associated with Minerva, the Roman goddess of wisdom, was not surprised by the owl's intelligence and thanked him for his help.

Marcus was a tall and muscular man with a stern expression on his battle-scarred face. He wore a cuirass made of bronze that covered his chest and back. The cuirass was decorated with intricate designs and symbols representing his rank and many military achievements. He also wore a tunic made of wool that was dyed in a deep shade of red. The tunic was long and reached down to his knees. Marcus wore sandals made of leather on his feet with straps that went up to his ankles. He carried a gladius, a short sword Roman soldiers used. The sword was sheathed in a scabbard that was attached to his belt. On his back, he carried a travel pack and a rectangular shield, called a scutum, using a strap over his shoulder and across his chest. This allowed him to use both hands for other weapons or tasks.

He wore thick, woollen socks designed to be worn with sandals to keep his feet warm and dry. To provide warmth and protection from the wind and rain, he wore a thick woollen cloak, a long piece of fabric draped over his shoulders and fastened at the front with a brooch, and wore a pileus or pileum, a brimless felt cap on his head under a woollen hat. He kept his metal helmet in a simple drawstring linen bag attached to his travel pack to protect it from scratches and dents while travelling.

Jenny was surprised but also excited to meet a Roman centurion. She followed Marcus as he led her along pathways known to him through the snow-covered fields and hills. Along the way, Marcus taught Jenny Roman marching songs, including some very bawdy ones, making her giggle, and told her stories about his life in the legions.

Jenny noticed that Marcus' leather sandaled feet left no mark in the crisp, deep-packed snow. She wondered if he was a ghost or a spirit. But she felt safe with him by her side.

Chris in Prague

As they walked through the snow-covered fields and hills, Marcus explained to Jenny how a Roman road network spanned the land of the Dumnonii, what she knew as Cornwall and Devon, connecting important settlements with military forts as well as wider Britannia. He told her that the Romans built these roads to facilitate trade, commerce, and military operations. The roads were made of stone and were built to last. They were also designed to be straight and level, which made them ideal for travel by foot, horse, or cart. The Romans used these roads to transport goods, troops, and messages across the country. They also used them to maintain control over their territories and to project their power beyond their borders. Jenny listened intently to Marcus' words and asked him many questions. She was fascinated by the history of the Romans and their achievements. Marcus was happy to share his knowledge with Jenny as he guided her on her long journey.

Several times, looking up, Jenny saw her tawny owl friend overhead checking on their progress. She knew she was not alone in the world and had friends who cared for her.

Jenny and the centurion were crossing open ground when they suddenly noticed a pack of wolves stealthily approaching out of the falling snow. Jenny's heart started racing as she realized that they were in grave danger. Marcus prepared to fight. The wolves were getting closer and closer. How would they be able to fight off so many hungry predators?

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations