What's your favourite feature or building of your local station?

Started by guest2, March 24, 2011, 07:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

What's your favourite feature or building of your local station?

My local station is Kenley, which is on the Caterham branch line.  I haven't got my photo's on this laptop (on other computer!).   My favourite building is on the left and is the original Station Masters House from 1856.  It also housed the ticket office until the new one opened in 1899.  The building is a very unusual style for a station.

I love finding out about the line, and how it began, and so I started a website about the entire line a few years ago, but it's a little bare as I never finished it.   ::)  www.TheCaterhamRailway.co.uk

Kenley Station is below (about 1905):-

I will try and get this updated with my own photo's soon.

Geoff

Well my favourite buildings around railways has to be the warehouses, they just ouse with atmosphere, I know you mentioned stations but I could not let this picture I took early this year not get shown, I know my new layout is a passenger model but to be honest these buildings are fantastic.

Picture taken in Manchester.
Geoff

cupoftea

I think the old canopy supports are my favourite feature of Newport Station. The new station buildings that have recently been put up depress me unutterably - why put a modern steel and glass monstrosity next to a grand old station when you could have used the funding to restore and preserve the existing and historical structure?

Tank

Lovely picture Geoff.  Do you know if the writing is painted on, or are those bricks a different material to the others?  ???

Cupoftea, I agree about about the canopy supports in stations.  They can be very beautifully made, and can definitely show the wealth of the railways.  Get a picture when you can, and I'll get one of Kenley.   :camera: :thumbsup:

Geoff

Hi there Tank I think they were done in brick but they have been painted to show them out more here is a photo of a close up.

Geoff

Tank

point blank

My local station is Blackpool North and for me the best feature of the station is the kettle in our office, boy does that get some use  :smiley-laughing:

Tank

cloughie

Quote from: point blank on March 25, 2011, 07:30:11 AM
My local station is Blackpool North and for me the best feature of the station is the kettle in our office, boy does that get some use  :smiley-laughing:
could not agree more, after Blackpool central went in 64 :'( the town lost out, you would not have any photos of the stations(apart from that one taken from the top of the tower) would you P B
cloughie
am I there yet

point blank

Quote from: cloughie on March 26, 2011, 11:38:39 AM
could not agree more, after Blackpool central went in 64 :'( the town lost out, you would not have any photos of the stations(apart from that one taken from the top of the tower) would you P B
cloughie
I don't have any pictures but I have got 3 of the Foxline Books in the Scenes from the past 26 Series. Journeys by Excursion Train from East Lancashire.

Part Three Preston via Kirkham and the Marton line to Blackpool Central
Part Four Return from Blackpool Central via the Coast Line, St Annes, Lytham
Part Five Kirkham to Poulton Blackpool North and Fleetwood

These books are excellent and well worth a look although they are a bit pricey.

longbridge

My favourite building is Flinders Street Station in Melbourne Oz, caught hundreds of trains there in my early years and it brings back fond memories.

Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations