a complete newbie !

Started by cjbeattie, January 12, 2015, 01:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

Quote from: newportnobby on January 12, 2015, 09:45:18 PM
There are not many locos that come 'DCC fitted' i.e. they already contain the chip. There are many locos that are 'DCC ready' and they are fitted with a blanking plug to enable running on DC. The idea is you run the loco in on DC, remove the blanking plug and then fit the chip of your choice rather than a factory fitted one. (note, however, this invalidates the warranty)
However, there are many old DC farts like me who have a large collection of DC locos from the stone age which would cost a small fortune to fit chips to or, even worse, pay someone else to do it.
However, with DC it is perfectly possible to have trains running on loops whilst shunting etc is carried out and that's enough to keep me happy :)
Spot on but as I said before it would be worth him reading up about dcc before deciding what to do.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

RHEINGOLD

Hi CJB,
Apart from a foray into N gauge back in the 80's when I used Peco track,I haven't had a model railway although one was always "in the planning stage"....aren't they always!!/.
Anyway a month or so ago I joined this site and not wanting to be bothered about Code 80 or 100 or insulfrog or electrogfrog points and seep point motors etc etc which meant that I was never going to get started I asked the members on here about any simple "plug and play" and was referred to Kato track,look earlier on the site to a pinned topic,....it may assist.
Anyway I bought the M2 Kato pack and it is excellent,in my opinion if as I am you are pretty clueless about electrics and dont have weeks just to plan lay nd wire up etc. a simple junction,although that is exactly what appeals to some people.
Hope you enjoy the site,you should do,I am.
Rheingold
Rheingold

Bealman

Can't you get a Farish train set already DCC fitted? Or did I just dream that.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

austinbob

Quote from: Bealman on January 12, 2015, 10:24:16 PM
Yes. We've already been there Bealman. Check earlier in this thread. ???
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

shaker_wooders

Quote from: cjbeattie on January 12, 2015, 06:25:43 PM
thanks bob

may i ask why you never moved to dcc? watched a few videos on utube regarding it and it looks amazing the control one has compared to what it use to be..

Im hoping that controller will run all the dcc engines i buy.. i will test with a cheap second hand one first

thanks for the good luck word! ill need it i think, i think my other half see's it as a complete waste of money..   :laugh:

Hi cj,

Welcome to the forum.  I am by no means an expert as I am a relative newcomer myself and I had to take down my first layout because my other half wanted the conservatory back!  For some reason she didn't appreciate my 8 foot by 4 foot baseboards taking up all that space!

Does your other half like any sorts of crafting e.g. Card Making etc?  If she does then you might be able to make use of her skills when it comes to scenery etc.  Mine got quite excited when I showed her the Metcalfe kits that I had bought and ended up building quite a few for me.  So much so that every time we go near a model shop she now says lets have a look to see what Metcalfe kits are in stock!!

I am a DC man too and managed to build a layout where I could run 3 trains at the same time.  2 going round and round on the inner and outer loops and a 3rd doing shunting in the yard.  I think I could possibly have got a 4th one running in the fiddle yard, but I couldn't multi task that much by myself.

Some of the layouts on here are awesome.  Good luck with yours.

Simon

Bealman

Quote from: austinbob on January 12, 2015, 10:39:10 PM
Quote from: Bealman on January 12, 2015, 10:24:16 PM
Yes. We've already been there Bealman. Check earlier in this thread. ???
Yes, thanks for that, Bob... I'm just having an Antipodian brain you-know-what  :-[
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

cjbeattie

Thanks for your replys simon and Rheingold and everyone else

do you have 3 controllers simon? how did you run 3 lines at once? or am i thinking back in the 80's again lol

Ja simon the thing with my other half i get the impression that she thinks im being a child or something, when i explain to her its much more than just watching a toy train around the track, there is points, shunting etc etc etc she sees none of that.. and on top of that MONEY Of course lol when i told her the intial kit will be around 150 pounds and engines are around 50 to 80 pounds each there was a long silence.. Hey i looked at the metcalfe kits they look brilliant! and not too expensive either.. love the engine sheds.. Ill try and slyly reel her in by getting her to make some for me lol..

Read alot about DCC now and DC and pros and cons either side.. The big let down for DCC is the number of engines and that it wont run dc engines without potentially damaging them so that limits... The lights and running multiple trains on the same line is very appealing but not at the cost of the creativity and creating the world/set..

Thanks to everyone who has gave me advice its been very interesting...

Craig

shaker_wooders

Quote from: cjbeattie on January 13, 2015, 12:10:37 AM
Thanks for your replys simon and Rheingold and everyone else

do you have 3 controllers simon? how did you run 3 lines at once? or am i thinking back in the 80's again lol

Ja simon the thing with my other half i get the impression that she thinks im being a child or something, when i explain to her its much more than just watching a toy train around the track, there is points, shunting etc etc etc she sees none of that.. and on top of that MONEY Of course lol when i told her the intial kit will be around 150 pounds and engines are around 50 to 80 pounds each there was a long silence.. Hey i looked at the metcalfe kits they look brilliant! and not too expensive either.. love the engine sheds.. Ill try and slyly reel her in by getting her to make some for me lol..

Read alot about DCC now and DC and pros and cons either side.. The big let down for DCC is the number of engines and that it wont run dc engines without potentially damaging them so that limits... The lights and running multiple trains on the same line is very appealing but not at the cost of the creativity and creating the world/set..

Thanks to everyone who has gave me advice its been very interesting...

Craig

I have a Gaugemaster unit with 4 controls - I picked it up from my local model shop about 2 years ago now.  I got it for a bargain £90!

Most of my engines have been bought off eBay and I try not to pay more than £45 each including postage if possible.  I actually spent my Christmas money today and bought 3 engines all from the same seller.  I got an EWS Class 66, a DRS (respray) Class 37 and a Load Haul class 56 all for £108 including postage.

The Metcalfe kits come with good instructions and I am sure that if your other half builds one for you she will be hooked.  The terrace houses are good as there are plenty of variations within the pack.  Same with the corner shop and pub.  They also make ideal presents when your birthday and/or Xmas comes around as they are very reasonably priced.

There are also a few lady members on here and maybe you could show her the layouts they have made/are making.  Descanso Farm is one of them - you can find it on the layout construction thread.

One thing to bear in mind for the future.  We all like to see photos showing your progress.

Good luck. 

Simon 

austinbob

Quote from: cjbeattie on January 13, 2015, 12:10:37 AM
Craig, if you're not sure about whether to go DCC you could always get DCC ready train starter set and run it on DC for a while. E.G http://www.ehattons.com/71913/Graham_Farish_370_180_Seaside_Excursion_with_Class_4F_44044_in_BR_black_with_late_crest_and_BR_Mk1_BCK/StockDetail.aspx - Costs £110 from Hattons.
Also this one http://www.ehattons.com/58975/Dapol_NDIESEL1_Train_set_with_Class_73_JB_electro_diesel_in_BR_blue_2_x_VTG_ferrywagons_Gaugema/StockDetail.aspx - but its not in stock yet and you would have to pre-order it.
If you decided to go with DCC later you could by a chip for the loco and a DCC controller later.

Bob Austin

cjbeattie

thanks bob for links.

still havent fully decided which to go for..  if i am going to get a dcc controller later on and chip the engines makes me just want to save the fuss and go out and just be done with it and pay a wee bit extra early on and get a dcc set..found one yesturday for 140 pounds.. which is 30 quid cheaper than ebay. so i might just do that..

will speak to other half then order  :confused1:

Jack

Quote from: newportnobby on January 12, 2015, 09:45:18 PM
There are not many locos that come 'DCC fitted' i.e. they already contain the chip. There are many locos that are 'DCC ready' and they are fitted with a blanking plug to enable running on DC. The idea is you run the loco in on DC, remove the blanking plug and then fit the chip of your choice rather than a factory fitted one. (note, however, this invalidates the warranty)

Just to clarify:
If the loco is factory fitted "DCC Ready" and you just remove the blanking plug and insert a chip of your choice then you do not invalidate your warranty!!

If you hard wire a chip, i.e., you have to solder the chip into place then you might invalidate any warranty!!

It's one of the reasons why its a good idea that you always run in your "DCC Ready" locos on DC track and then fit your decoder. If within your warranty period the loco develops a fault under DCC running then you reinsert the Blanking plug, check running under DC (this proofs that's its not just a fried decoder) and return to supplier for repair/replacement if necessary.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

cjbeattie

thanks for that jack... well noted :)

just one thing you said 'run in your loco'

do you mean go slow for a small time? until warm or what? didnt realize they needed 'ran in '

austinbob

Quote from: cjbeattie on January 13, 2015, 05:01:52 PM
thanks for that jack... well noted :)

just one thing you said 'run in your loco'

do you mean go slow for a small time? until warm or what? didnt realize they needed 'ran in '
You need to run in each loco for about an hour in each direction at medium speed on DC. The instructions usually say how long to run in and whether lubrication is needed first.

Bob Austin

Jack

As austinbob says, most makers in their instructions suggest that you run in a new loco for an hour in each direction "light loco", that is without any load attached.

I do remember a thread of long ago (tried the Search button to look for it - can't) where an ex Farish worker suggested that after you have run the hour each way you should physically turn the loco around on the track and repeat. There is also a suggestion that a figure of eight track is a good way to run a loco in (if using R2 curves then diesels and short steamers only).

The thoughts behind the figure of eight or turning the loco around is so that the running gears get to "bed in" on each possible curve.

I personally run my locos in using a loop for half an hour each way then turn the loco around and run for a further half hour each way.

Its also wise to "run in" locos again after a full service strip and cleaning. I have seen suggestions that after about 25 hours running locos should be serviced in such a way, but I'll stand corrected if I've got that wrong.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations