Too much time talking ??

Started by sparky, June 28, 2014, 09:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparky

Do you think we all spend too much time talking and not doing????....I have not posted much for a day or two as I have actually been adding some track to the layout....instead of just thinking about it and reading the forum...back off to the garage to carry on.....!!!!

Ray Haddad

It's the equivalent of a very long coffee break. Where else can you have a casual chat with so many fellow modelers and not have to drive miles to do it?

Forums can be time wasters but we seem to be an aging hobby. People tend to be of an advancing age but with lots of skills. For me, it kind of hurts to bend over for hours working so these breaks are a necessity and I don't begrudge them at all. I welcome them. Just like I welcome my afternoon nap.
I exclusively model the WSMF Railroad.

jonclox

An hours concentrated modelling is enough for my health so I 'rest' in this forum quite a bit. I guess that the resting periods are far longer than the modelling but that cant be helped.
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

d-a-n

Whenever the computer goes on (therefore, whenever I'm on the forum), the layout tends to be running as well - I must spend more time playing trains than being on the forum!

[smg id=13546]

In all seriousness, it's good to have a blether about trains on here, I have certainly learnt more about modelling and prototype than I ever would've done under my own steam.
As long as you're enjoying the time you have on your layout and on this forum, it's all good whatever ratio you take it in.

Newportnobby

I'd be the first to confess to being on the forum more than on my layouts, witness my post count :-[
However, I'm retired so my time is mine to do with as and when I wish :P
Being a Moderator (can't pick and choose what to read) :D is a filthy job but someone has to do it ;)

Northman

Having a quick browse or even typing a short post only takes a few minutes and is perhaps "armchair modelling" - it is certainly quicker than making cardboard model buildings in N Scale!

I am self employed and during the week I take a quick break between working on client files to have a dekko at what is going on in my new N world :goggleeyes:

MikeDunn

Alas, I'm on here 99.9% more than on the layout  :'(

After saying that ... most of my 'layout build time' tends to be Bank Holidays only, and the last few have seen other things taking a higher priority  :(  Not done anything since I ripped up the last build to enlarge the board, put down the WS risers, & plaster-clothed it all.

Hoping things settle down from October so I can get some track lain !  The board is stood up-ended by the pulled-up OO board, so I can't even play with those  :'(

Mike

Sprintex

Quote from: newportnobby on June 28, 2014, 01:43:50 PM
Being a Moderator (can't pick and choose what to read) :D is a filthy job but someone has to do it ;)

No using that as an excuse, no-one has to read every post, and between the lot of us Mods we probably cover every thread anyway :P

Sometimes it depends on circumstances. If you have to physically get the layout out of storage, or need lots of materials and tools for the bit you're modeling then it can be a chore to set up and clear up after, so you can only do these things when you have a good few hours spare or even a day. You can fill in smaller timeslots here and there doing other things like construct a building-kit or paint something small for 'planting' on the layout later though :thumbsup:

Paul

sparky

Fitted 2 new points and cobalt motors... Now to watch the Brazil game....

jonclox

Quote from: sparky on June 28, 2014, 05:25:15 PM
Fitted 2 new points and cobalt motors... Now to watch the Brazil game....
Hey good foryou.
Ive got 12 that need fitting if your in the mood to pop round and help me out ;)
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

hairygit

I used to agree that I spent too much time on here and not enough layout work. But things have changed drastically for me in the last 12 months! I had emergency surgery in June last year for suspected colon cancer, which resulted in 6 months off work,  and the location of the stoma I was left with made it impossible to lean over my baseboard to reach anything much. Went back to work just before xmas, started getting back into the layout, then had a stroke on March 6th, which badly affected my right arm/hand. While in hospital for that, I had a prolapse of the stoma, and at this moment in time have 10 inches (25cm for you young un's) of intestine hanging out of my stomach wall. To make matters worse, they will not risk sorting the intestine until at least 6 months after the stroke, meaning September at the earliest. So, I can't get near my layout to do anything, my arm/hand is getting better, but sitting down is extremely uncomfortable, as is standing, so after a 3 month absence from this forum I found 127 pages of unread posts to read, 25 threads on each page, certainly stopping me getting bored! So sometimes being on here is the only thing keeping me sane, and if I spend all my time on here, what the heck, there's nothing else I CAN do, and at least I'm thinking about my layout! :D
Male children never grow up, we just get older and our toys become more expensive!

Northman

sorry to hear of your trials and tribulations hairyone.......127 pages - try being a newbie - last count was 612 unread pages for me - I am starting to get through some of the backlog though and learning a lot whilst I do it!

Zakalwe

its amazing how many threads you can read or posts you can do whilst copydex dries
"I just think people overvalue argument because they like to hear themselves talk."

Newportnobby

Quote from: hairygit on June 28, 2014, 07:33:20 PM
I used to agree that I spent too much time on here and not enough layout work. But things have changed drastically for me in the last 12 months! I had emergency surgery in June last year for suspected colon cancer, which resulted in 6 months off work,  and the location of the stoma I was left with made it impossible to lean over my baseboard to reach anything much. Went back to work just before xmas, started getting back into the layout, then had a stroke on March 6th, which badly affected my right arm/hand. While in hospital for that, I had a prolapse of the stoma, and at this moment in time have 10 inches (25cm for you young un's) of intestine hanging out of my stomach wall. To make matters worse, they will not risk sorting the intestine until at least 6 months after the stroke, meaning September at the earliest. So, I can't get near my layout to do anything, my arm/hand is getting better, but sitting down is extremely uncomfortable, as is standing, so after a 3 month absence from this forum I found 127 pages of unread posts to read, 25 threads on each page, certainly stopping me getting bored! So sometimes being on here is the only thing keeping me sane, and if I spend all my time on here, what the heck, there's nothing else I CAN do, and at least I'm thinking about my layout! :D

Eek :o
Makes my hip replacement sound like a walk in the park now :-[
I wish you every success in getting back to good health, and am glad we're all keeping you from being too bored.

port perran

I spend my model railway time in three ways :
1) Modelling
2) On the Forum
3) Playing Trains

Oh...and quite a lot of time (and...too much money) in the model shop !
As for the forum itself, some threads appeal and some don't so I pick and choose the ones I read and contribute to. It is a good way to relax and a really good way to pick up new ideas and suggestions. And, of course, if you have a question (and we all do at some time or other), someone has the answer (usually pretty quickly).
So...no, we don't talk too much........it's all good fun.
Keep up the good work and keep the posts coming.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations