8F LNER, transforming to GWR

Started by petercharlesfagg, October 28, 2013, 06:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercharlesfagg

Friends,
Our friend Katie has this loco in her stable:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181240978093?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Would it need much work to transform it to the GWR version?

I understand that a paint job would be needed but knowing very little about the class would there be any important differences?

Regards, Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

NeilWhite

Hi Peter

I don't think there was ever a 'GWR version' of this locomotive. The closest would be the GWR 28XX - have a look at pictures of one of the Dapol models on the web for comparison.

There is a GEM whitemetal body kit for the 28XX that goes on the Farish 8F chassis.

I think there are still a few Dapol 28XXs available out there.

Neil

port perran

Hi Peter

There were no genuine GW Class 8Fs though I believe some were constructed at Swindon (or did I imagine that?).
Some would have run on ex GWR territory. I certainly saw some at Westbury in the early 60s.
Were you perhaps muddling them with the ex ROD 2-8-0s from the LNER some of which were purchased (and Swindonised) after the First World War?
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Dorsetmike

During WW2 I believe LMS design 8Fs were built by all four companies, not sure what company name got put on the tender but they would all have been in wartime black.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Newportnobby

Further to previous replies I don't believe any Stanier 8F's ever appeared under GWR badging as they had their own excellent 28xx class and the GWR were fiercely partisan about the origin of their locos.
In latter days, 8F's may have appeared on Western Region metals but purely as a way of getting from A to B, rather than being based there :hmmm:

Chinahand

Strangely enough I was actually talking about these locos to a fellow member at the meet-up on Saturday.

The GWR did indeed purchase 5 surplus Swindon built 8Fs at the end of WWII which were then deployed as heavy freight locos, generally on the china clay trains. They were given 85xx Class numbers. At the time of purchase these locos carried the WD black wartime livery and the GWR simply painted out the WD logo with a pot of black paint and replaced it with a GW logo so there is little to do to the GF model except to remove the LNER logo and numbering and replacing it with a GW logo and numbers.

I suppose if you wanted to be really clever you could remove the LNER logo, apply a WD logo and then paint over it so that it showed through slightly before applying the new GW logo. Either way, these locos were generally run in a pretty filthy condition so some heavy weathering would be prototypical. Although the crews didn't particularly like them (a box of spanners was one term I've heard) they apparently had prodigious pulling power.
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)
[smg id=2316]

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Chinahand on October 28, 2013, 11:11:25 PM
The GWR did indeed purchase 5 surplus Swindon built 8Fs at the end of WWII which were then deployed as heavy freight locos, generally on the china clay trains.

They got 8400-8479 numbers (which were in fact LMS numbers not GWR)

I wasn't aware that the GWR ever bought any, although the LNER acquired a few as class O6

Rather nice spoof at
http://www.gwsr.com/news/2010/april/swindon-8f-mystery-photograph.aspx

though, including GWR safety valves.

The GWR had several on loan until 1946 then sent them back where they belonged, with 8Fs then re-appearing on the GWR in British Rail days.

The ones that ended up on BR were mostly Swindon built ones (possibly because they had ATC).  The visible differences are however tiny especially in N scale

- GWR works plate
- GWR pattern lamp irons
- Number on the buffer beam not on the smokebox front
- Brake ejector pipe lowered in BR period

So apart from numbering it differently not a lot in BR days.

48431 survives and has the modifications if you want to stare at photos or an excuse to go visit it 8)

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Chinahand

You are absolutely right Alan. My bad.

They were, as you say, given LMS Class 84XX numbers not 85XX numbers. I was typing from memory which is obviously not so good these days.  Also they were not actually 'purchased' by GWR but were 'retained' by them after the war but did, most certainly, carry the GW logo on the tender.
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)
[smg id=2316]

petercharlesfagg

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

Chinahand

It is indeed a superb loco Peter (though not an 8F  :D)

I received mine last May and posted a pic of it in the 'Show' thread here http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=6331.msg137905#msg137905
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)
[smg id=2316]

Newportnobby

Am I alone in thinking the dear old Farish 8F is due a re-tooling (and very quickly please!)?
After all, it is probably the most numerous freight loco ever produced.
No doubt I'll crash and burn on that statement :hmmm:

Ollie3440

Quote from: newportnobby on October 29, 2013, 03:13:21 PM
Am I alone in thinking the dear old Farish 8F is due a re-tooling (and very quickly please!)?

I have a feeling a re-tooled 8f may be announced next March. It is due an upgrade and surely they can use either the Tender from the Black 5, or the Chassis from the WD? I'll certainly want several :D

Ollie

:NGaugersRule:
Hi I'm Ollie, and I'm a addicted to buying MK1s......

My Previous Exhibition Layout - The Sheaf Valley Railway
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24.0

My Current Exhibition Layout - Wenlock
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23228.0

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: Chinahand on October 29, 2013, 12:54:50 PM
It is indeed a superb loco Peter (though not an 8F  :D)

I received mine last May and posted a pic of it in the 'Show' thread here http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=6331.msg137905#msg137905

Trevor,
Please excuse my ignorance but apart from the lettering I see no difference?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Is the loco you bought and what we can see on Osbourns web site, not the "Night Owl"?

All these numbers and classes are getting me all confused!

Peter.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Ollie3440 on October 29, 2013, 05:46:14 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on October 29, 2013, 03:13:21 PM

I have a feeling a re-tooled 8f may be announced next March. It is due an upgrade and surely they can use either the Tender from the Black 5, or the Chassis from the WD? I'll certainly want several :D

Ollie

:NGaugersRule:

Why am I not surprised ::)

Chinahand

Night Owl ? What Night Owl ?

The loco you linked to and the one I bought in May are one and the same Class 38xx 2-8-0 No. 3850.

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on October 29, 2013, 05:49:08 PM
Trevor,
Please excuse my ignorance but apart from the lettering I see no difference?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Is the loco you bought and what we can see on Osbourns web site, not the "Night Owl"?

All these numbers and classes are getting me all confused!

Peter.
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)
[smg id=2316]

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations