SHAPEWAYS PRICE HIKE ON THE 30TH

Started by Snowwolflair, January 27, 2019, 03:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowwolflair

Shapeways recently changed their pricing model increasing the price of new models.

From the 30/31st January historic models like ATSO's, Snowwolflair, 3DR and others will have their existing prices revised.

In my case this ranges from 50% to 350% increases

If there are any models you have been thinking about buying then now is the time to act.

RailGooner

These price increases combined with the inevitable import duties after March, will I think, mean the end of the UK market for Shapeways.

Snowwolflair

Quote from: RailGooner on January 27, 2019, 03:41:10 PM
These price increases combined with the inevitable import duties after March, will I think, mean the end of the UK market for Shapeways.

Mike  (revolution) thought no duties but we shall see.  Regardless the price increases is a problem.

I'm looking at other print sources, however Shapeways is the only one with a shop.  So in future I might design and prove with Shapeways and then get printed elsewhere cheaper :D

If this worked is there a potential for an NGF expansion of the N'porium for 3D prints being sold by designers and a cut to the forum? @Tank

Bob G

I bought the Leader kit two weeks ago from Shapeways. With two Tomytec HM-01 chassis from Plazajapan, the price was about £165. Thought it was expensive but glad it did it before the price rise. They arrived this week. Very nice well thought out kit actually, especially in ultra fine grain.
I'm happy to use the small diameter wheels on the two mini chassis as I dont have the desire to hack two Q1s like @Snowwolflair wants to do, and I want a simpler build. But I will do something about the top speed of these motors, like wiring them in series or something, and a thumping great resistor :)

I'm now off to comb Shapeways for other southern stuff....

Bob

The Q

Quote from: Snowwolflair on January 27, 2019, 03:47:45 PM

I'm looking at other print sources, however Shapeways is the only one with a shop.  So in future I might design and prove with Shapeways and then get printed elsewhere cheaper :D
@Tank

https://i.materialise.com/en/shop/category/scale-models

NTrain

I have been a customer of Shapeways since their early days, when they first started as post graduate students.

It has been a rocky road. They change rules. Items you have ordered for years, suddenly no longer printable. I stopped using their WSF, because the quality was changeable.

I was on the trial for the new HP 3D printer which was hyped as being a very economical machine. During the trial, the prices were very good and, I found I liked the material, I was about to check out dimensional issues, as this had been discussed, when the trial ended, and now the price is about the same as FUD, for a material which is basically WSF+. Dropped that material from my portfolio in a shot......

I have tried hard to find alternatives to Shapeways FUD, but have not been able to find anyone able to compete on price etc.

I would very much like to find a UK supplier for my FUD products, but UK industry is not interested in small business.

Snowwolflair

Quote from: The Q on January 27, 2019, 04:17:49 PM

@Tank

https://i.materialise.com/en/shop/category/scale-models

Yes I'm looking at them but their shop software is way behind the cure, not to say they will catch up.

When I get time I'm going to get test prints from several of these newcomers and I'm also on the lookout for a UK source.

RailGooner

Mike  (revolution) thought no duties but we shall see.  Regardless the price increases is a problem.

Ah, yes, I remember reading that now. And Mike's far better placed than I am to know about such things, so I happily concede.

I think the price increases alone will probably be enough to kill off most a lot of future UK trade though. My pending order - waiting for payday on the 30th - will be my last.

njee20

I only used to order when they did free shipping, but I've not seen one of those deals for a while. There are a few bits I want, so it seems now is the time to purchase. Shame, but they do seem to have been getting less and less competitive for years, At a time when I'd expect the opposite. That said the fact there isn't an obvious competitor suggests they continue to have a monopoly. I wonder if a lot of people are just printing at home as home printers have come on and there isn't the margins to justify Shapeways 'challenges'.

thebrighton

I've been waiting in hope of a free postage offer too but they seem to have dried up. As it looks like they're going to be pricing themselves out of my budget I put an order in on the 19th for the last few things I wanted. Expected delivery was the 11th Feb but 3 of the 4 items were already printed by the 20th with one failing and having to be reprinted but they were still despatched by the 25th and due to arrive tomorrow.
The reason for my long ramble is that I've ordered stacks from Shapeways over the years have never seen a turnaround that quick, nowhere near, which may suggest they are already seeing orders dropping off significantly.

Snowwolflair

Quote from: thebrighton on January 27, 2019, 07:32:09 PM
I've been waiting in hope of a free postage offer too but they seem to have dried up. As it looks like they're going to be pricing themselves out of my budget I put an order in on the 19th for the last few things I wanted. Expected delivery was the 11th Feb but 3 of the 4 items were already printed by the 20th with one failing and having to be reprinted but they were still despatched by the 25th and due to arrive tomorrow.
The reason for my long ramble is that I've ordered stacks from Shapeways over the years have never seen a turnaround that quick, nowhere near, which may suggest they are already seeing orders dropping off significantly.

I agree that's what i'm seeing as well.

njee20

Intriguing. Perhaps the pricing change is a last stab to wring a bit more out of the 'core' buyers in their dying throes!

RailGooner

Quote from: thebrighton on January 27, 2019, 07:32:09 PM
I've been waiting in hope of a free postage offer too but they seem to have dried up.

And me. My wishlist has been steadily increasing since the summer hoping for a shipping offer.

Quote from: njee20 on January 27, 2019, 05:42:35 PM
I wonder if a lot of people are just printing at home as home printers have come on and there isn't the margins to justify Shapeways 'challenges'.

I reckon you could have something there.

EtchedPixels

If we stay in the EU - no duties

If we agree a deal - no duties for now (on most stuff). Then there will be a customs deal negotiated which is likely to be for no duties on a lot of stuff.

Hard brexit - at minimum significant duties and of course being mugged by the parcel company for 'processing'. Also none of the parcels companies and customs have enough staff so you'll be stuck behind urgent items like medicine and food).

One reason I've got so much out of stock is that I'm still waiting to work out what is going to happen. If we have a hard brexit then I'm closing down. No point carrying on given the way the prices of everything will shoot up. If we get a deal then great I can order stuff.

In some ways btw I am glad Shapeways is sticking the prices way up. The are becoming a near monopoly player so if they are sufficiently greedy (anyone suspect they want to hit the stock market soon....) that they drive people to smaller rivals in the long term that will be a good thing.

What we actually need is cheap home 3D printers that can do Shapeways quality pre-coloured 8)

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

woodbury22uk

Quote from: EtchedPixels on January 27, 2019, 11:15:30 PM

If we stay in the EU - no duties

If we agree a deal - no duties for now (on most stuff). Then there will be a customs deal negotiated which is likely to be for no duties on a lot of stuff.

Hard brexit - at minimum significant duties and of course being mugged by the parcel company for 'processing'. Also none of the parcels companies and customs have enough staff so you'll be stuck behind urgent items like medicine and food).

Alan

Most of our toy stuff is not subject to duties under WTO rules, but HMRC will probably still extract VAT (or whatever we call on from 30 March) for goods purchased outside the UK. I am not sure what safety compliance provisions apply. Most countries accept compliance with EU rules on toy safety.

Detailed trade codes are here.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/classifying-toys-games-and-sports-equipment

Tariffs can be viewed here:-

http://tariffdata.wto.org/Default.aspx?culture=en-US
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP