Demise of Thomas Cook - an inside view.

Started by Adam1701D, September 23, 2019, 08:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam1701D

My "day job" with Thomas Cook IT Support has come to an unexpected close today following the collapse of the rescue deal. I have something of a temporary reprieve for up to a few weeks, supporting the CAA and the administrators with the massive repatriation effort for our customers in-resort.

Today was horrible, saying goodbye to many friends and colleagues. Our building (which we share with Bauer Media and Model Rail) is now looking very empty with most of the stall leaving at lunchtime. What was sadder was seeing the UK retail stores turning from green to red on our monitors as they were taken off-line and the huge amount of disabled user accounts.

I have had to start job hunting, as Electra Rail does not pay the bills. I'm sure there will be some time to do some real modelling and crack on with a few new projects, such as the Purple Meridian, in the meantime. I still don't think it has sunk in yet and I am totally numb.

Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

crewearpley40

adam

we are all sorry to hear of this, and wish you and your family well. we all sincerely ( having heard the news ) hope that you are gainfully employed again soon in a ob which makes use of your skill sets. chin up.

emjaybee

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

NeMo

Sorry to hear this.

Good luck moving forward.

NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

exmouthcraig

Certainly is sad times for ALL associated with the failure of a business. With IT being some what the unmentioned members of staff I'm sure and a huge name for the world too loose.

Billions of pounds in debt and borrowing more and more year on year to try to sustain itself. I thought a statement yesterday from a certain chief exec was particularly hollow. Implying that he was working tirelessly on a sunday to cobble together another rescue package for the good of the company, presumably to make sure his golden handshake remained.

It is unfortunate how someone who is ultimately responsible for the company kept his job and that the board kept agreeing to the plans of borrowing their way out of trouble. A business plan I know my bank would never allow me to do and one I've yet to know succeed

Hopefully staff will get help with further employment and one thing is for sure EVERY business now needs IT support so  :beers: to your new prosperous future

Newportnobby

Sad about the demise of such a well known and long established company :(
Hope you can find another job you enjoy, Adam.

dannyboy

I can only echo the above sentiments. Good luck to you in the future. As has been said, companies need IT these days.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

RailGooner

Quote from: captainelectra on September 23, 2019, 08:40:41 PM
What was sadder was seeing the UK retail stores turning from green to red on our monitors as they were taken off-line and the huge amount of disabled user accounts.

What a vividly sad picture that paints Adam. I think when travel companies fail the focus of news reports and thus the national conscience, is on stranded holidaymakers. You've reminded me that the pain runs much wider and deeper. When those unfortunate holidaymakers finally get home, they will likely still have a job.

Very best of luck with the job hunting. :heart:

cornish yorkie

:hellosign:
   Sorry to hear your news Adam, best of luck for the future
         regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Bealman

Saw it on the news here last night.

Must be horrible for you. All the very best for the future, mate.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

njee20

Sorry to hear that Adam. My employer went into administration (another well known company) just over a year ago. I still work there (in tech), deprecating the systems and switching everything off gradually! After a couple of false starts I've got a new, better role starting in November. These things do usually work out for the best, as rubbish as they are in the short term. Chin up.

Graham

sorry to hear that, such and iconic company to end up like this. As others have said there is a lot of help for all the holidaymakers, hopefully there is the same level of help for the workers being made redundant.
as a proud owner of some of your work, a man of your skills will always be in demand.

JonHarbour

Good hunting Adam!

I'm sure something will come along for you fairly quickly. As others have said, every business needs IT support, so hopefully your prospects are good.
Still planning a layout...

joe cassidy

Sorry for you and everyone else at T Cook.

I have fond memories of visiting the "campus" at Peterborough in the 1990s selling paper.

Good luck!

Joe
P.S. I'm also on the rock & roll since my employeur went bust in January

Vonzack

Best wishes Adam, hope you get something sorted soon

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35%