Scratchbuilt Station, What surface to use?

Started by Graham65, March 13, 2013, 10:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham65

Hi Guys

I am building a scratchbuilt station using 9mm MDF and Peco concrete platform edging. Once the edging is in place I am adding 1mm card directly on to the mdf base. It now leaves me with another 1mm to bring it up to the level of the peco edging. I was going to use 1mm card again but on top of this I was going to add 240 grade Wet & Dry sheets.

To me they seem to be perfect to get the textured finish, has anybody else used wet & dry as a top layer for their respective platforms and then what did you do afterwards. Just paint it and weather or is there problems about to occur with my idea?

regards

Graham

EtchedPixels

I've used it for tarmac finish - with other material to represent the stones along the edge. It is arguably still over scale but to me looks better because of the texture. Also makes nice flat roofs if you "batten" it with plasticard strips.

The metcalfe flagstone I found pretty repetetive but comes to life if weathered to randomise the surface a bit. Scalescenes stuff is nice, and there are some lightly embossed continental ones that look really good but I've yet to try out.

(Crazy people carve all the flagstones out of a layer of plaster, chip a few twist them etc). Never had the patience !

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

cycletrak9

One method which I've used in the past is to build the card surface level with the Peco platform edge and to paint the finished platform with acrylic paint mixed with a fine talcum powder - I used Johnsons baby powder [other talcum powders are available!].

The powder gives a slightly textured finish and also "deadens" the colour slightly. It also has the advantage that, if the platform surface is a single piece of card, there are no joins to be disguised.

You'll need to experiment with various mixes of paint/powder until you find one that looks right.

Once the surface is dry you can add some weathering, patches etc.

Hope this is useful - good luck!

carlwooduk

Graham,

On my layout ( Vale of Oxbury - RM Web has pics ) I used plasti -card surfaces , painted with suitable light / mid  grey tones with Humbrol enamel paints.
When the paint was still wet , texture was added from Geoscenics fine road powder. A fine layer was added using the finest seive I had ( more like  a tea strainer).
It was then sealed by a fine spray over with Woodlandscenics "scenic cement". I was pleased with the outcome to represent rough tarmac, now ready for some light weathering to finish off.

Carl

bluedepot

i used wet and dry paper painted grey, looks ok i think...

tim

Gogs

I have used very fine wet and dry paper, not on platforms but as a road surface, but I do not see why the same effect could not be achieved. Once the wet and dry is laid and the glue under it dry, rub your fingers over the surface to get a more random light grey effect. Just one thing to bear in mind if using this method; only do a small amount of rubbing per day or two, otherwise your finger tips get blistered and the wet and dry paper goes a funny red colour!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations