Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malc

You were lucky, none of the 3 Maplin's branches around here ever had what I wanted without visiting all 3 to get it.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Malc on May 31, 2018, 12:39:30 PM
You were lucky, none of the 3 Maplin's branches around here ever had what I wanted without visiting all 3 to get it.

You had choice? Luxury! ;)

Malc

Quote from: Newportnobby on May 31, 2018, 12:46:35 PM
Quote from: Malc on May 31, 2018, 12:39:30 PM
One in the city centre, one in Solihull and one in Redditch. About a 30 mile round trip.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

The Q

I used to use Maplin when they were a few people in a shed somewhere around Southend. You ordered a catalogue and it arrived with all the staffs photos on the inside and a free SI-FI poster.
Then they got bought out, moved up north somewhere, built huge warehouses and took shops all over the country and became generally useless.

dannyboy

The wikipedia page gives some interesting information -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maplin_(retailer)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

daveg

Their service certainly went down hill a while back but I still feel sorry for those that have lost their jobs.

Good luck to all those looking for other work - been there!

Dave G

Newportnobby

Quote from: The Q on May 31, 2018, 01:42:25 PM

Then they got bought out, moved up north somewhere, built huge warehouses and took shops all over the country and became generally useless.

You can't stop progress :no: :laughabovepost:

mickeyflinn

Quote from: Newportnobby on May 31, 2018, 12:35:48 PM
Sadly our Maplins has finally bitten the dust :(
Always handy for the odd pack of 'stuff' whilst avoiding postage costs from the major on-liners.
Hey Ho.
Have you tried CPC Farnell in Fulwood, Preston. They're online, have a physical shop, and are generally cheaper than Maplins are/were.

joe cassidy

They went downhill after they stopped the holiday camps.

Hideyhe, hideyhi !

outofgauge

Joined the long list of companies that got wayyyyyyy to big -seemed to be far to expensive -(called last year when on site in Wrexham for a switch for our broken genny- would have bin cheaper to buy a new genny!) I'm another hands up for rapid at Colchester  or if I'm rushing CPC at Preston-don't mind waiting or I use click an collect -one more visit to the trade counter and I get another £5 voucher for free  :claphappy:
Regards
Neil

Remember -this is not a practice ! One go only !
And I was Born ready .

Newportnobby

Quote from: joe cassidy on May 31, 2018, 08:28:26 PM

Hideyhe, hideyhi !

Silly boy. That was Butlitz :laugh:

dannyboy

You're just Pontinsficating now  :D

I'll get my (red) coat.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

broadsword

Quote from: joe cassidy on May 31, 2018, 08:28:26 PM

Hideyhe, hideyhi !

Jeffrey can't hear you !

Newportnobby

Gad, but it's hot, Fanshawe! :sweat:

I know there are some sun lovers out there but these temperatures are becoming somewhat tiresome now. I'm afraid this heat kills off my appetite and also any chance of sleep. As a rule, in this country, we don't have things like air conditioning so have to pay a fortune to power companies to run fans. Have a shower? 10 minutes later when you've dried yourself off you'll need another one ::)
Constantly running air con in the car thus using extra fuel and paying the fuel companies more for it. Watering the patio pots with a watering can because our water company, United Utilities, have asked us not to use hose pipes as, if we don't, they will impose a hosepipe ban. Brainless  :censored: deliberately setting fire to moorlands and woodlands thus putting emergency service personnel and wildlife at risk. Our poor dear pets sweltering in their fur coats while some of their brainless owners shut them in cars.
And yes, as sure as it starts to rain for more than a day, there'll be complaints about that as well.
One thing you can be assured of. Having bought myself a new motorbike which I collect in a couple of weeks time and intend to ride only in the dry, then it it will rain for days on end.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations