Cavalex dropped OO class 91

Started by exmouthcraig, January 21, 2020, 06:44:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exmouthcraig

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/news/cavalex-to-abandon-oo-gauge-class-91-but-continue-in-n/

Well for once we get some good news out of the bad.

Cavalex have pulled the Class 91 locomotive after Hornbys announcement atthe beginning of the year.

They do state however the N gauge project will continue

njee20

Bit of a double edged sword, the N gauge one is nowhere near as progressed as the OO was, but yes, it's certainly not overly negative!

I feel for them, the 3D print looked superb, and with Hornby not offering a new DVT or mk4 it feels like the place for a high end 91 is limited.

simonprelude

I just hope in 12 months time we don't get the news the N gauge version has been dropped also.

Skyline2uk

Got to say I am more than a little confused by all this and a bit dismayed.

1) On the face of it, a major manufacture has announced a re-tool (specs unknown) for a 00 model locomotive that has been in its back catalogue (last produced when?) for many many years.

2) This is, as far as it stands, for the locomotive ALONE. Can see no plans for matching coaches and DVTs.

3) This has resulted in a relatively new brand dropping (or at least long term hold) their plans for THE ENTIRE TRAIN in 00. Samples and specs of their loco seems to be high quality.

4) Therefore as its stands the best out 00 friends can hope for is a newer loco from a mainstream manufacture with no matching stock to the same standard.

5) Us folk in N have a very old / dated loco and stock that is no longer in production from a mainstream manufacture.

6) We hope the newbie will produce a new N gauge loco and matching stock to a high standard.

7) News on the n gauge new entrant has been scarce and no samples seen to date.

Hope above sums it up?

Much as its tempting to say big manufacture has trod on new boy, it would seem big manufacture is quite advanced with his model. If you look at the video from Simon K that he recently gave to a magazine on YouTube (sorry forget magazine, but should be easy to find by searching for videos about the 2020 range), he makes a statement when questioned about 91s AND 66s AND Terriers.

Skyline2uk

Vonzack

I feel for Cavalex after the Hornby anouncement, such a shame I think they would have done a great job with the 91s and MkIVs. Let's hope the N Gauge version gathers pace now.

njee20

Quote from: Skyline2uk on January 21, 2020, 11:29:15 AM
Got to say I am more than a little confused by all this and a bit dismayed.
Much as its tempting to say big manufacture has trod on new boy, it would seem big manufacture is quite advanced with his model. If you look at the video from Simon C that he recently gave to a magazine on YouTube (sorry forget magazine, but should be easy to find by searching for videos about the 2020 range), he makes a statement when questioned about 91s AND 66s AND Terriers.

Who's Simon C? Simon Kohler?

That is about it, but there are some nuances. Ignoring all the "major brand"/"small brand" nomenclature as it's just confusing... Cavalex promoted the 91 in both gauges (as they have with most of their projects), they made no bones of the fact that the OO gauge one was far more popular, but Cav is an N gauge modeller, so I don't doubt there's a keenness to deliver an N gauge one. They had a 3D render and a 3D print of a OO gauge bodyshell, which looks incredible. They do all their own CADs and design in house.

Hornby have now ridden in and said there'll be a 91 (but no new mk4s or DVT, which must be 30 year old models), and that has meant Cavalex have re-evaluated their entire project and decided it's not viable. Obviously they could still do the coaches/DVT and hope that Hornby don't sneak those out too, or find that Hornby get the colours subtly wrong (or they do) and they don't match, or any of the other variables that potentially could give them a real headache. How much work Hornby have done is up for debate. They mentioned in 2016 that they thought about it, but that the 87 won out. You can infer that means a statement of intent, but ultimately they've been tight lipped until an announcement that one was due in 2019. A cynic could say that the lack of coaches is a testing of the water, and now Cavalex have pulled out I suspect they're more likely.

The RMWeb thread is full of praise for Cavalex (before and after their announcement), and they've said the number of people to have actually dropped out is tiny, but the reality is that the 91 is a bit of a niche model (even in OO, moreso in N), and the marked probably can't sustain two high end models of it. Hornby will likely have a significant advantage, even if they churn out an inferior product, because of their reputation, dealer network, market reach, marketing budget etc etc.

Like Vonzack I really feel for Cavalex, they'd clearly done a fair bit of work on the project, and the initial signs were very positive indeed. I hope the N gauge ones progress. I'm tempted, purely to help them along, despite having no real need for a 91/mk4s, but I'm just not sure how far my altruism stretches!

Skyline2uk

QuoteWho's Simon C? Simon Kohler?

Yes, have now corrected my post.

QuoteLike Vonzack I really feel for Cavalex, they'd clearly done a fair bit of work on the project, and the initial signs were very positive indeed. I hope the N gauge ones progress. I'm tempted, purely to help them along, despite having no real need for a 91/mk4s, but I'm just not sure how far my altruism stretches!

I also feel for them, I have met Cav in person and his enthusiasm for the 91 in N was obvious. I have read lots of wild speculation about Hornby targeting the project but refuse to get into it, other than feel sad it's happened this way.

I expressed interest (and still have that interest) in a 91 in N for three reasons:

1) I want the project to succeed.
2) I have been saying for years that the old Farish model is desperate for a re-tool.
3) Despite not modelling East Coast, I would love a new std 91 on the front of a rake of MK3s with a buffer fitted HST "surrogate DVT" on the other end. That configuration screams POWER and appeals to an HST fan like me.

Skyline2uk

Adam1701D

Really sad to see the 4mm 91 dropped, as the Cav lads had really done their homework and meticulously researched all the tiny detail differences that occurred over the years. You'd be surprised how much variation there was even before the 91/1 refurbishment.

I'd love to see the N version with Mk4s flourish. With the class finishing their ECML duties this year, there is bound to be increased popularity. The Mk4s also have a future working for Grand Central to Blackpool and Transport for Wales on the WAG services.

The 91 and HST combos in 1988-9 were magnificent and had incredible acceleration out of The Cross with over 8000hp on tap. The plan was to have the power cars idling to provide train supply only but they didn't like that so had to provide power. A proper Bi-Mode way before the Azumas.

If you are modelling the 91s in their early days on the ECML, they often hauled Mark 1 or Mark 2 sets on secondary duties. I remember one bank holiday weekend seeing extra services with 91s hauling blue/grey Mk1s from the Peterborough commuter sets to York, along with a couple of brand-new NSE 321s borrowed from the GE.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

crewearpley40

Hi I have heard mk 4s will be replacing mk3s on the cardiff  holyhead Tfw and cascading to grand central on the euston blackpool route

simonprelude

Quote from: captainelectra on January 21, 2020, 09:54:41 PM
If you are modelling the 91s in their early days on the ECML, they often hauled Mark 1 or Mark 2 sets on secondary duties. I remember one bank holiday weekend seeing extra services with 91s hauling blue/grey Mk1s from the Peterborough commuter sets to York, along with a couple of brand-new NSE 321s borrowed from the GE.

Have quite a few photo's somewhere, even one of a 91 on Pullman stock. Will have to dig them out.

fredd

Are there updates on Cavalex proceeding with the N 225?  They are quite active on their website for various wagon projects but no hints that I can see on this project.  With the Kato Azuma and Rails LNER HST coming we are so close to being able to replicate this photo.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48512163086_f8d84431ac.jpg

njee20

This came up on FB yesterday. Alex told someone that if the market was there they'd make it. However after the RMWeb thread was cancelled, over a year ago, they've not even created a new thread for the N gauge one. There's nowhere to express interest on their site. It'll clearly never happen, and they're not giving it any attention. Those two things are evidently related, but it's circular!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations