The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainfish

It actually gets worse for me. I've got my stag weekend next week when I'm supposed to be playing golf on the Friday and karting and laser questing on Saturday. I may end up being a spectator to all events. I'm just hoping I'll be able to drink but that would mean I have to stop the painkillers. It won't be easy  :(
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

jonclox

Quote from: Trainfish on May 26, 2012, 04:24:53 PM
Ok well I'm angry because I managed to fall down the stairs and crack 4 or 5 ribs meaning I can't go out and play golf in this weather because it hurts too much. 3 weeks of pain so far  >:(
Ouch  :'( broken a few over the years myself so can understand the pain you must be suffering but the pain should start to ease  now that 3 weeks has passed.......not stop..... but just ease slowely
Good luck to you for a speedy recovery anyway
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Lawrence

Quote from: Trainfish on May 27, 2012, 12:08:19 AM
It actually gets worse for me. I've got my stag weekend next week when I'm supposed to be playing golf on the Friday and karting and laser questing on Saturday. I may end up being a spectator to all events. I'm just hoping I'll be able to drink but that would mean I have to stop the painkillers. It won't be easy  :(

I should think you would want to be fit for post wedding days not just the stag do  ;)

Trainfish

It's complicated but I actually got married last year so I've already done all the post wedding stuff. We do things a little differently down this way  ::)
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

galway

Dear auntie NGF,

Don't often get angry – well not since my younger days, however, was getting a bit racked off at work, that I was doing a disproportionate amount of work and hours to some of my colleagues.

Went to see the Regional Manager with my concerns about my workload (without comparing myself to anyone else initially), listened to the normal b*ll about everyone is in the same boat, having to work harder in these difficult times etc etc. Pointed out to him that my sales were at least 50% more than any other driver (I do van sales) and in a couple of cases more than double than some.

Then I made the mistake of mentioning I never have a break (drive truck on tachograph), well this is all the conversation revolved around from then on, I was breaking law etc, everyone has to take breaks you get the drift, referred him back to earlier comments "having to work harder in these difficult times etc etc " – made absolutely no difference, he now had a reason to push everything back on me (some of these jumped up little $#%*$  love this).

Anyway the reason I am angry – I gave the b*ll*ks the ammo to have a go at me, so am angry with myself, this will shortly pass.

I also came out of the meeting knowing that I am working over the companies max  (48 hrs per week) – currently doing  over  50 without breaks (we get paid for 39), I will now start taking my breaks and working at a pace of my other co-workers, this should then take me to over 60 hours per week and force (because of company rules) the obnoxious little *@* to take some of my calls off me, if I've learnt one thing from today its 'don't give them the opportunity to put it back on you'  and start playing them by their rules – use their rules against them, that's two things (or three) but who's counting!

Thanks for reading feel much better already.  :)

Yours sincerely
Gaillimh
Is féidir tú a choinneáil ar eascainí an madra nó is féidir a lasadh coinneal duit

Trainfish

Mate, when I'm working (off sick with my ribs at the moment obviously) I do similar to you and work far more hours than anyone else yet get the job done and done well. I've also had all the "everyone's in the same boat" bit which is the same in most companies. I spoke to someone in HR about it and she advised me to just do the hours I'm contracted to do. She said even though I get the job done, nobody notices that. The only time they will notice is when you fail because there's not enough hours in the day. I'm not the sort of person to do that normally but when I return to work I certainly will be doing that. Then they have to sit up and take notice. I also keep an accurate record of all the hours I work.
John

<*))))><

Lawrence

Problem is some companies think they can get away with stuff like this because everyone is scared of losing their jobs and as soon as you stand up to them, that is the sort of crap you get back.  Apart from looking elsewhere I don't know what else you can do, I'm not that up on employment law.
Trainfish has a valid point though and it sounds like all your co-workers are doing just that!

Newportnobby

Always pays to remember that sewage doesn't naturally flow uphill

longbridge

I though it was only Aussie employers that took their staff for granted, I could hardly wait to retire in 2004 when my Mum passed away and left me a small inheritance,  my employer had the staff working extra hours for zero extra pay and yes we were all scared of loosing our jobs.

What used to bug me was that my Rostered Day off was a Monday but if an annual holiday fell on a Monday that was to bad the Holiday was counted as my RDO.

For 3 years before retirement I worked 3 days a week because I could not handle the attitude of todays greedy employers that want your blood and pay a pittance.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

hairygit

Then I made the mistake of mentioning I never have a break (drive truck on tachograph), well this is all the conversation revolved around from then on, I was breaking law etc
That is a crazy thing to do, tachograph offences have very serious consequences, including massive fines, and even prison (rare but it HAS happened!) VOSA have a habit of checking tachos when vehicles are checked at the roadside, and as you are probably aware you have to carry the previous 4 weeks tachos with you. Also, your employer is obliged to keep the used tachos for 12 months, and VOSA can swoop unannounced on your employers office at any time and inspect them. YOU and your employer can be prosecuted at any point during the 12 months for ANY tacho infringements, insufficient breaks, insufficient daily rest (10 hours, but can be reduced to 9 hours 2 days in any working week) plus a whole range of other issues :thumbsdown: PLEASE, Stop doing this immediately, NO employer or job is worth the risk, and with the new digital tachos (compulsory in vehicles registered from 1/1/2007) you will get hung, drawn and quartered if you get caught. VOSA have just anounced a major crackdown on tacho offences, so it may be too late already :'( I have been driving coaches for 25+ years, and I know there is no way round it! The rules are for YOUR protection from dodgy employers, as well as everybody else using the roads, so take care out there! 
Male children never grow up, we just get older and our toys become more expensive!

galway

Not doing too bad had same lecture twice in two days!

All my paper tacho's and my card when driving newer trucks all comply with appropriate regulations, breaks/rest time recorded etc. We actually have our tacho's reviewed independently every month and any issues are brought to our attention - I have yet to be called in by the auditor. We have to download our electronic tacho card every week to our national Road Safety Authority, again all my records are in order.

However, I take your point on safety grounds and I have today started taking my statutory rest times, with a small bonus, got back to depot over an hour later than normal, manager noticed and is going to review my workload.
Is féidir tú a choinneáil ar eascainí an madra nó is féidir a lasadh coinneal duit

Tank

Quote from: galway on May 31, 2012, 06:28:35 PM
....got back to depot over an hour later than normal, manager noticed and is going to review my workload.

Excellent news mate. :thumbsup:  Amazing for a manager to notice so quickly. ;)

Lawrence

Amazing for a manager to notice, period!

EtchedPixels

Second that, because no way will your manager "remember" you told him about it if it ends up in court !

I work my correct hours, and for a lot of jobs that's actually a good idea anyway. The 40 hour week didn't come about through union militancy it came about largely because employers of the time and government all eager to maximise productivity discovered that over 40hrs/week actual productivity and effectiveness in a lot of jobs goes down.. 60hrs/week is actually less productive than 40.

Modern "human resources" management is entirely about propaganda, buck passing and manipulation (and I'll point out here  have an MBA and got the highest marks on the course on the HR units... so I feel qualified by be rude). In the far right American rhetoric they build all their theories from they threw out scientific evidence as well as decency.

Old style models weren't any "nicer". They didn't pick 40 hours to promote good health and wellbeing of workers (some notably exceptions like the quaker run businesses of course), they did it to maximise work done. But at least it was based on the actual science.

And yes our French friends with their overlong lunches, short working hours, and big holidays are more productive than the UK. Odd that, and somehow I don't think its caused by the unpasteurised cheese 8)

*/rant*

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

keerout

:smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:  :evil:
GOOD rant!  :thumbsup:
Gerard

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations