Tour de France 2018

Started by Newportnobby, July 04, 2018, 10:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

I thought I'd start a thread as Le tour starts on the 7th July. Personally I think it's great to see Chris Froome is being allowed to ride but why, oh why, is it taking so long for the authorities to sort out his alleged drug rule infraction? This has dragged on for an interminable length of time and, despite Froome's optimism he has nothing to worry about, can't help but prey on his mind, methinks.
Expect the usual excellent coverage from ITV4.

Bealman

OK... must remember not to trip over a coffee table and end up in a Canberra hospital for most of the day  ;D :thumbsup:

Looking forward to it. :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

njee20

Frustratingly I wrote a long post and then got a 403 response and couldn't send it, keeps happening weirdly.

They have resolved the irregular test, that was the UCI's announcement on Monday. No further action to be taken. I posted a URL but it seems it was that which was getting me the forbidden response!

It'll be interesting to see how he goes, conventionally people who've ridden the Giro don't go well at the Tour, wonder if he can buck the trend.

Personally I can't see him winning, but I fear his attempt will jeopardise the chances of a high placing for Geraint Thomas, who rode brilliantly at the Dauphiné. I'm not sure who I can see winning it though, that said!

Sagan for the green again, with some style no doubt!

Simon Yates for white maybe, Adam will still be wrecked from the Giro (think it's that way around!).

KoM... not sure, always a bit more open. Maybe Primož Roglič, he rode well last year in the mountains and has some solid results this year.

Looking forward to it!

Newportnobby

Thanks for that. It was the BBC 6am news who stated Chris had been allowed to compete but still had the decision hanging over him. I'm glad it has been resolved in his favour.
It probably still won't prevent some animals from hurling abuse (and worse) at him ::)

njee20

Yes, sure it will hang over him for a long time! The French have been foiled in their efforts to try and ensure a French winner too!

Philip.

Let's hope Cav and Sagan can be kept apart on what looks like a stage for sprinters, don't want a repeat of last year  :goggleeyes:

Bealman

Television coverage starts here in a couple of hours.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Philip.

Eurosport showing the whole stage, could be a long day  :D

RailGooner

I'm currently down Somerset way, caring for my Father-in-Law who's recuperating from major surgery. :angel: MBH warned me that my usual practice of watching every second of live coverage - even jumping between Eurosport and ITV4 during ads - wasn't on. :'(

Well the TiVo is scheduled to record it all and we hand over care to my Sister-i-L tomorrow. MBH hasn't, but I have, booked Monday off work so I can have a mega binge! :tv:

Newportnobby

Live coverage on ITV4 started 09.30 today.
Am juggling the TdF, footie and F1 qually at Silverstone. At some point I have to watch the Eng v India T20 cricket I recorded last night as it was past my bedtime.

RailGooner

daffy

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

cycletrak9

Interesting situation for Sky - the race doesn't reach the first big climbs until stage 10 but there is the lottery of the pave on the way to Roubaix on stage 9. Assuming that Froome hasn't made inroads into the deficit by the time we get to the mountains who do Sky give the support to? My guess is that they will hang fire on a decision until they see how things are going. 10, 11 and 12 are all big stages with Alp d'Huez on 12.

njee20

Agreed, certainly an interesting strategy call for them. I imagine they'll avoid Thomas or Froome expending too much energy - they won't want Thomas to go all out in support of Froome only to realise he's the better prospect.

Thomas has often looked superb until the last week where he has gone backwards (and obviously his Dauphiné victory doesn't disprove this!), I hope his staying power has increased, I'd love to see him on the podium. I think Froome is humble enough to ride for him too if they decide that's the greater good.

The cobbles aren't that bad, no 5-star sections and it looks dry, but definitely enough to put the cat among the pigeons. It's already been a pretty mad first few days with punctures/crashes to virtually all the favourites.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations