new scam

Started by guest311, January 22, 2020, 10:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

received this e-mail this morning, just for info of anyone else who may receive it

PayPal

An unauthorized party may have accessed your account

To protect your information, we have:

-- Disabled the password to your account.
-- Reversed any modifications made by this party.
-- Canceled any pending orders. You can ignore any confirmation emails that you received for these orders.

In the meantime, we recommend that you change your password, to help protect your account from being compromised again.

For your security, your account cannot be accessed via our website until you regain access to your account.

CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD

please ignore and delete if you get one, or access your acct only via your normal paypal login screen, you will be able to log in, I was.

dannyboy

This is a variation on a theme that has been around for a long time. I always forward the email to
spoof@paypal.com
and then delete it of course.  ;)

I did once get quite a comprehensive reply from PayPal, but basically it said that there was not a lot they could do. We have to be more and more vigilant these days and your final comment @class37025 about only accessing your account from the PayPal login screen is a timely reminder to all.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

ntpntpntp

Yep, a classic technique to try and convince you to click the link so they can harvest your password.   NEVER click links in emails, go directly to the site yourself.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

middlefour

There is a similar one doing the rounds claiming that the payment for your tv licence has not gone through, shame these folk have nothing better to do!!
Steve

silly moo

It does worry me that these scams are getting more and more sophisticated and I’m getting older and more forgetful  :(

It is easy to think that you will not fall for them but you can get caught unawares especially if you are distracted or under a lot of stress. Scams were mentioned on telly yesterday and I really felt for a lady who had been scammed while her husband was very ill.

guest311

had a phone call the other day from 'Amazon Prime' I think the Mumbai office, telling me that £39.99 would be deducted from my account unless I gave details enabling the caller to cancl this deduction  :-[

response was

'good luck with that you  :censored:  :censored: as I don't have, and never have had, an account with Amazon.
I shall however be passing details of this call to my inspector, so please await the call from my headquarters, or the met police scam unit'

didn't get any further as, for some reason, the call got cut off  >:D

lil chris

I had a similar call from somebody, well actually the wife answered the call. It was a automated voice saying there was a strange transaction on my account press 1 to contact a manager to sort it out. The wife hung up, later I checked on line with Amazon and they confirmed, has suspected, the call was not from them. Who ever it was made the mistake of leaving their number so I gave that to Amazon.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

dannyboy

I do not now have a landline and, (touch wood - ouch!), I have never had a 'scam' call on my mobile. I did once get a 'scam' call on the landline and after a couple of minutes conversation, I asked the caller to hang on a minute, as I worked in security, (which was true), and we were testing a new device that could trace phantom 'phone numbers, (not true). The call was immediately endedl
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

simonprelude

Had a text on Sunday from 'Paypal'

Update Pending,Limited access please confirm: secure-update.co

Obviously didn't click on the link and no paypal problems

TrevL

I used to get alot of scam calls, so I got a call blocker, but that didn't stop the the ones that use different numbers each time they ring.  However, being with TalkTalk, is signed up to their free call blocker, where whoever calls for the first time has to say their name which gives me the option of accepting the call from that number never/once/always.  Since being on this, I have not had one scam call, which after years of getting them, is absolutely awesome. :claphappy:
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Newportnobby

I have caller ID so can ignore any number I don't recognise.
Fine, I guess, as long as memory stays intact

middlefour

Quote from: class37025 on January 22, 2020, 04:26:44 PM
had a phone call the other day from 'Amazon Prime' I think the Mumbai office, telling me that £39.99 would be deducted from my account unless I gave details enabling the caller to cancl this deduction  :-[

response was

'good luck with that you  :censored:  :censored: as I don't have, and never have had, an account with Amazon.
I shall however be passing details of this call to my inspector, so please await the call from my headquarters, or the met police scam unit'

didn't get any further as, for some reason, the call got cut off  >:D

Just had that call, and like you I have nothing to do with Amazon ever, got a similar response as well !!!
Steve

Malc

I have had emails from just about every bank in the UK and the USA claiming my account had suspicious activity. I suppose the emails are automated and cost nothing to send. If they get 1 in a million clicking the link, it's pay day for them.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

TrevL

Quote from: Malc on January 23, 2020, 04:32:41 PM
I have had emails from just about every bank in the UK and the USA claiming my account had suspicious activity.

Know what you mean.  In fact, I've had them from my own bank too, which is weird, cos they don't have my email address, nor will I ever give it to them, because if I do, there will always be that element of doubt whether it is genuine or not.  They keep sending me letters asking me to update my email address, which get shredded immediately.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Young Bulla

Had one last week, unpaid bill supposedly from British gas! Wrong side of the Irish sea and 100% solid fuel heated house.

Do I just ignore it or ask for a week's grace until the money from my long lost Nigerian relative arrives?

Decisions decisions!

All the best
Stan

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations