The Adventures of Globibahn

Started by Globibahn, January 17, 2021, 09:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Globibahn

Quote from: Globibahn on July 19, 2022, 04:54:58 PM

Brilliant, yes I am sure those are the same coaches. I wondered if they possibly had an ÖBB background - that is interesting!  :thumbsup:

Ooops hang on, now I am not so sure. The models show ventilation inlets close to the doors of the coaches (i.e. at both ends). The EC carriages on the Prague-Berlin train do not have those... :hmmm:

Hiawatha

Maybe depending on the type or – more likely – asymmetric design?
The two Bmz 241 show the two grilles near the doors on the compartment side ...

... while the two Bmz 245 show one centre grille on the corridor side.

Peter

Globibahn

Quote from: Hiawatha on July 19, 2022, 06:44:45 PM
Maybe depending on the type or – more likely – asymmetric design?
The two Bmz 241 show the two grilles near the doors on the compartment side ...

Interesting. I have definitely never seen grills near the doors. And I see the carriages almost every day from every conceivable angle!  :D

I even saw such a train this afternoon with the darker blue restaurant car right at the tail end, which always looks a bit odd.

Globibahn

Quote from: Globibahn on July 20, 2022, 09:25:22 PM

Interesting. I have definitely never seen grills near the doors. And I see the carriages almost every day from every conceivable angle!  :D

I have to hang my head in shame, I was mistaken. Apologies to all - this is truly "CD Eurocity-gate". I saw a rake today and there were indeed grills by the door ends - it seems the coaches are different on each side.

:-[ :-[ :-[

Globibahn

I finally got round to aquiring myself a bike. Picked this one up second hand. It has been a slightly troubled birth though.

I like the bike a lot and it works fine at the moment (gears not the quietest in the world). However I decided to take it for a service and an upgrade to metal pedals (which was expensive). The guy pointed out damage to 2 teeth on one of the front chain rings. He mentioned it would cost 160€ to sort out, as apparently you have to change all the chain rings front and back as well as the chain.

This gave me a sinking feeling, not sure if it is worth investing that amount in a second hand bike. It also got me to thinking I should just have bought a new bike. Sorting this one out with decent tyres alone is quite a lot of money.

In the service they put a new tyre on the back, which I now know is the worst possible junk tyre brand. I then also cleaned all the gears myself, as they clearly didn't touch them.

Anyway, working on a bike seems a bit like working on a giant N gauge loco ;D, I will have to figure it out as I go. I have already tweaked with the gears to get them to be quieter, damaged though they may be!

This is an ideal city for cycling, I imagine I will use the bike daily as my main transport. I have definitely bought the right kind of bike (i.e. a city bike). On a typical ride I come across every type of surface - gravel, tarmac, big cobbles, badly tarmaced cobbles, you name it! And you do need an upright position for hazard-awareness. Cycling is largely done on the pavements and there are pedesrians and other bikes left and centre, as well as cars, buses and trams on the road of course.

Dave_K

The bike looks good, I have a city bike too as I like the sit up stance to help me keep a good eye out for hazards! Is that front hub a dynamo for the light?
Bikes can cost a lot, but once initial service and tyre cost is out of the way, they normally give lengthy use before any other major maintenance is required.
Interestingly I prefer plastic pedals as metal ones can be like 'rat traps' and catch your ankles, etc.

Globibahn

Quote from: Dave_K on July 31, 2022, 04:17:27 PM
The bike looks good, I have a city bike too as I like the sit up stance to help me keep a good eye out for hazards! Is that front hub a dynamo for the light?
Bikes can cost a lot, but once initial service and tyre cost is out of the way, they normally give lengthy use before any other major maintenance is required.
Interestingly I prefer plastic pedals as metal ones can be like 'rat traps' and catch your ankles, etc.

Hi Dave - LOL yes know about the metal-pedal-danger. I do just prefer the grip though.

Yes that is indeed a dynamo hub. I think the lights work - I will test them tonight to be sure.

I am quite surprised at what a bashing a city bike needs to take, I am certainly glad of the front suspension. In Germany they call this style of bike a Trekking Bike, I can see why!

Hopefully the cogs will hold out a long time. Will have to make a descision if they fail.

NScaleNotes

Quote from: Globibahn on July 31, 2022, 03:03:37 PM

I like the bike a lot and it works fine at the moment (gears not the quietest in the world). However I decided to take it for a service and an upgrade to metal pedals (which was expensive). The guy pointed out damage to 2 teeth on one of the front chain rings. He mentioned it would cost 160€ to sort out, as apparently you have to change all the chain rings front and back as well as the chain.

Oofff. That seems a bit steep, what are they putting on gold plated Ultegra!?! Technically I suppose it's the right thing to do (very German ;))  but before you go down that route grab yourself a pair of pillars/adjustable spanner/vice grips and see if you can't gently coax the bent teeth back into the right position. It won't be perfect but it'll keep you on the road long enough to make a decision on whether to replace parts. It's probably where all the noise is coming from.

Also unless the chain and rear cassette is really worn there's no need to change the whole lot; if the fix above doesn't work I'd get a second opinion (maybe a good old boy who is good with bikes), you might only need someone to change that damaged front chain ring and the chain as they do stretch over time. Should be a lot cheaper than swapping everything out (£20 for a Shimano chain and big chain ring online).

Globibahn

Quote from: NScaleNotes on July 31, 2022, 05:30:59 PM

Oofff. That seems a bit steep, what are they putting on gold plated Ultegra!?! Technically I suppose it's the right thing to do (very German ;))  but before you go down that route grab yourself a pair of pillars/adjustable spanner/vice grips and see if you can't gently coax the bent teeth back into the right position. It won't be perfect but it'll keep you on the road long enough to make a decision on whether to replace parts. It's probably where all the noise is coming from.

Also unless the chain and rear cassette is really worn there's no need to change the whole lot; if the fix above doesn't work I'd get a second opinion (maybe a good old boy who is good with bikes), you might only need someone to change that damaged front chain ring and the chain as they do stretch over time. Should be a lot cheaper than swapping everything out (£20 for a Shimano chain and big chain ring online).

Yes I thought that sounded steep - it is only Shimano Acera. Last time I checked, they weren't using that on Tour de France bikes!! :smiley-laughing:

I did wonder about just using some pliers, will give it a shot, nothing to lose.

If this advice had come from @ntpntpntp, he would have me soldering wires onto the chainring and then testing it with a multimeter! :smiley-laughing:

ntpntpntp

Hehe - you'll be complaining about split gears next  :D

When I think of how I used to like cycling back in the 70s and 80s and go all over the place. I remember I used to take a large wooden box of N gauge stock on my back to railway club nights :)  The only thing I hated was cycling into a strong headwind, that used to get me really angry!   Sadly my bike fell into dis-use in the late 80s and was sold on once I had a car.   

In the early 00s SWMBO and I bought bikes to accompany our little-un but he was never really into cycling and we sold them on soon after, hardly used.  I can't see me ever taking it up again.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Globibahn

I took my bike to another repair shop this morning - a real spit and sawdust place.

They verified I have bought a pile of junk. The entre drive train is worn out and needs replacing for 160€ to 180€. The back wheel has small cracks and is well on the way out.

The best thing to do would be to ride it to a bike shop and buy a new bike! :-[

Jim Easterbrook

Might be worth salvaging any good bits to transfer to a new bike. The carrier rack and dynamo hub, for example.
Jim Easterbrook
"I'm an engineer, not an artist!"
"Amoro, emptio, utiliso!"
Personal website. / Photos on Flickr. / Blog.

Globibahn

Quote from: Jim Easterbrook on August 01, 2022, 10:11:11 PM
Might be worth salvaging any good bits to transfer to a new bike. The carrier rack and dynamo hub, for example.

Good point Jim, yes will salvage what I can!  :angel: :thumbsup:

Globibahn

One of the things I do miss is real Cheddar Cheese!

Funnily enough, they did sell Cathedral City at the big Kaufland Supermarket in Neustadt Sachsen. But nowhere around Dresden Neustadt seems to sell that.

Today, however, I did discover this in Lidl. It looks the right colour (often stuff sold as Cheddar has a red colour, I never even tried it of course)! This product is manufactured by 'Dale Farm' (it is not a farm, it is a massive manufacturing concern) in Ireland. They produce 'Dramona Cheddar'. Anyway, not complaining, keen to give it a try! It looks smooth, so not a very mature Cheddar, I imagine.

dannyboy

David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations