The Adventures of Globibahn

Started by Globibahn, January 17, 2021, 09:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Globibahn

Quote from: Dave_K on July 01, 2022, 03:51:44 PM
Sorry to hear this Matt, take care of yourself and hope you recover quickly.

Thank you Dave!

Jim Easterbrook

Quote from: Globibahn on July 01, 2022, 03:21:49 PM
Covid finally caught up with me - I am utterly exhausted. :-[

There's a lot of it about.

Gute Besserung.
Jim Easterbrook
"I'm an engineer, not an artist!"
"Amoro, emptio, utiliso!"
Personal website. / Photos on Flickr. / Blog.

Globibahn

Quote from: Jim Easterbrook on July 02, 2022, 09:03:51 AM
Quote from: Globibahn on July 01, 2022, 03:21:49 PM
Covid finally caught up with me - I am utterly exhausted. :-[

There's a lot of it about.

Gute Besserung.

Danke Jim! :beers:

Globibahn

Finally got over the Covid, thank heavens. Really no fun at all. So here is my belated trip report. As already mentioned, the whole thing was done on the 9€ ticket, so it was a very slow journey to Sonthofen and back!

My outward journey was like this:

Dresden - Hof - Nürnberg - Augsburg - Sonthofen

It took around 8 or so hours. The most IC- like section was the dosto that travels between Nürnberg and Augsburg. It stops a lot but it is very modern and comfortable.

For some reason this (shorter!) journey was not available for the return (without involving buses). Therefore the return proceeded thusly:

Sonthofen - Augsburg (an almost one and a half hour wait here, as my train from Sonthofen arrived 30 minutes late) - Nürnberg - Leipzig - Dresden

This took 12 hours! It is my longest ever train journey thus far. In true adventurer style, I spent my long wait in Augsburg not sight-seeing but sitting in a shopping centre, eating a sandwich and admiring a large pot plant.

Interesting to note, leaving Leipzig on the line to Dresden (Leipzig-Engelsdorf to be precise) I saw what must have been almost all the remaining BR120s lined up in a siding, alongside other redundant locos. How the mighty are fallen!

I did have a super time in the Bavarian Alps. The weather was on my side and I did 2 big mountain biking rides and two big hikes. I cannot wait to return!  ;D

Dave_K

Yay! Glad you back, fit and well Matt.
Lovely photos and what a tempting spread, let alone the massive beer! Thanks for the report, always appreciated.

swisstrains

Beautiful pics of a beautiful part of the World. Thanks Matt.
Good to hear that you're feeling fit again and ready for more adventures.

Globibahn

Quote from: swisstrains on July 13, 2022, 09:35:16 AM
Beautiful pics of a beautiful part of the World. Thanks Matt.
Good to hear that you're feeling fit again and ready for more adventures.

Thank you John!

For general reference, here is the said pot plant in Augsburg. :smiley-laughing:

TrevL

Nice to see a three legged cow :doh:
Just wondering, are a long lost relative of mine, guess what the "L" in my handle is.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

ntpntpntp

Ooooh I so want that meat 'n' cheese spread for breakfast!
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Globibahn

Quote from: TrevL on July 13, 2022, 09:40:59 AM
Nice to see a three legged cow :doh:
Just wondering, are a long lost relative of mine, guess what the "L" in my handle is.

Lamb! ;D

Globibahn

Quote from: ntpntpntp on July 13, 2022, 09:47:50 AM
Ooooh I so want that meat 'n' cheese spread for breakfast!

It was extremely tasty Nick, I think you would def. enjoy it! :thumbsup:

Globibahn

Interesting, looks like that apart from the forthcoming brand new Night Jet trains, they are also upgrading some of the older stock...

https://www.nightjet.com/de/komfortkategorien/nightjet-upgrade

Globibahn

Either an S1 or S2 suburban train crossing the Elbe between Bhf Neustadt and the Hauptbahnhof. S-Bahn locos can look in a bit of a sorry state in terms of paint work sometimes. Regarding dosto stock in the Dresden region, alomst all carriages are of the 1997 construction year-type (I believe). None of the flashy Twindexx here! You can see some are branded VVO (Verkehrs Verbund Oberelbe - Transport Assosciation Upper-Elbe) There are signs up in these carriages that this stock is being withdrawn for updating. I have even been in one very old dosto carriage, must one of the first of its kind. It had a more angular roof.

I had some business to attend to in Pirna today and spotted these goods locos in a siding there.

By the way, does anyone know exactly what type of carriages the CD Eurocity from Prague to Berlin are comprised of? They look awfully like UIC-X Eurofimas. Except the ventilation grill on the side is definitely rectangular and not lozenge-shaped. :hmmm:

Hiawatha

Quote from: GlobibahnBy the way, does anyone know exactly what type of carriages the CD Eurocity from Prague to Berlin are comprised of? They look awfully like UIC-X Eurofimas. Except the ventilation grill on the side is definitely rectangular and not lozenge-shaped. :hmmm:

If these are the same coaches that go between Prague and Hamburg then they are improved Eurofima successor types that the ÖBB and Austrian company SGP (Simmering–Graz–Pauker; in the meantime Siemens SGP) had developed. Resemble Eurofimas but e.g. have SGP bogies instead of Fiat. The CD bought them partly used from the ÖBB but some coaches were also built in the Czech Republic.

ASM makes the  Prague–Hamburg EuroCity coaches in N and describes them on the website:
https://as-modell.de/en/produkt-kategorie-en/n-en/czech-republic/ec176-en
Peter

Globibahn

Quote from: Hiawatha on July 19, 2022, 12:42:50 AM

If these are the same coaches that go between Prague and Hamburg then they are improved Eurofima successor types that the ÖBB and Austrian company SGP (Simmering–Graz–Pauker; in the meantime Siemens SGP) had developed. Resemble Eurofimas but e.g. have SGP bogies instead of Fiat. The CD bought them partly used from the ÖBB but some coaches were also built in the Czech Republic.

Brilliant, yes I am sure those are the same coaches. I wondered if they possibly had an ÖBB background - that is interesting!  :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations