The Adventures of Globibahn

Started by Globibahn, January 17, 2021, 09:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Globibahn

Quote from: ntpntpntp on August 09, 2022, 08:03:51 PM
I like "rubber cheese" like that on burgers and cheese-on-toast.  Not overpowering :)

DHL Dispatch Notification
1 x 350g Milbona Cheddar Cheese (Opened)
24 hr guaranteed international delivery
To: Mr Nick NTPNTP
Marshwold upon Avon
United Kingdom
Customs Notification:
UK cheese import duty payable by recipient
;D

mika

Quote from: Globibahn on August 09, 2022, 01:40:53 PM
I did not know those carts were called Bollerwagen. ;D

Careful, a Bollerwagen is something like this while I think you meant those, right?

Best,
Michael  :sorrysign:

Globibahn

Hi Mika,

LOL - although I have indeed also seen Bollerwagen being used for toddler transport, yes you are right, the Krippenwagen is what I meant.  ;D

Globibahn

I have been on a couple of visits to the Großer Garten - The Big Garden this week. It has a very grand palace in the middle and a park railway. It doesn't seem in action at the moment though.

This loco looks cool! 8)

joe cassidy

Quote from: Globibahn on August 11, 2022, 06:31:54 AM
Hi Mika,

LOL - although I have indeed also seen Bollerwagen being used for toddler transport, yes you are right, the Krippenwagen is what I meant.  ;D

I understand that at German beer festivals they have vehicules like this to transport "tired and emotional" visitors to a drying-out tent.

Would that be a bollerwagen, a krippenwagen, or a supermarket trolley ?

mika

Well, depends on how tired and emotional the visitors are... :D

Globibahn

Quote from: mika on August 11, 2022, 01:49:41 PM
Well, depends on how tired and emotional the visitors are... :D

Last time I got 'tired and emotional' was on a Greek Island after drinking un-recorded quantity of local retsina wine at a beach party (it came in plastic bottles - yes glamarous, probably not a good vintage). I seem to remember it had notes of summer rain on asphalt, with a slight nutiness and wafts of jasmine.

I could braely get out of bed the next day and it took a good 4 weeks before I could even look at a glass of wine again. :-[

Globibahn

So here we have bike 2.0, freshly purchased today!

I have opted for a 7 speed hub gear setup. I understand this requires very little maintenance or adjustment, as everything is enclosed. Also with hub gears you stop peddaling to change gear. So you can roll up to red lights in top gear, stop and then go down to bottom gear whilst standing there.

Likewise, I have gone for simple V brakes to keep maintenance cheap and easy..

Tyres are Schwalbe Marathons, feel more confident having a good brand.

I decided to ditch the idea of front suspension. On an upright-posture bike like this you don't really lean forward on the handlebars as much, so it seemed better to do without. I do need to lift the bike and down stairs to the cellar, so weight was a consideration. It comes in at 16kg with the pannier rack and all, not too bad.

Anyhow, time and miles will tell if I made the right choices. 8)

Oh, and I did buy it from a small bike shop. So I have their ongoing support with any technical mishaps. Always useful!

Jim Easterbrook

Excellent. I've long been a fan of hub gears, and have a Sachs 7-speed I built into a wheel getting on for 20 years ago. It hasn't yet had any maintenance.
Jim Easterbrook
"I'm an engineer, not an artist!"
"Amoro, emptio, utiliso!"
Personal website. / Photos on Flickr. / Blog.

Globibahn

Quote from: Jim Easterbrook on August 12, 2022, 08:48:18 PM
Excellent. I've long been a fan of hub gears, and have a Sachs 7-speed I built into a wheel getting on for 20 years ago. It hasn't yet had any maintenance.

Cheers Jim, hub gears are a really good idea for non-sports cycling.

They come in higher gear numbers than seven these days also, however seven has the most even stepping between the gear range. I had a long ride around the city today and it seemed the perfect combination to me!

Tram lines are a nightmare, I nearly came off going over some tram points this morning. I will have to take extra caution in future! :-[

Jim Easterbrook

Quote from: Globibahn on August 14, 2022, 05:49:17 PM
Tram lines are a nightmare, I nearly came off going over some tram points this morning. I will have to take extra caution in future! :-[

Look out for the warning signs.
Jim Easterbrook

joe cassidy

Translation :

"Beware - circus ahead"

?

Globibahn

Quote from: Jim Easterbrook on August 23, 2022, 07:31:12 PM

Look out for the warning signs.

Yes that is an exact illustration of what almost happened - I have been being very cautious since!

weave

My Google Translate says it means 'rails' but other meanings underneath say 'splint' or 'put in a splint' which I thought summed it all up perfectly  :). German efficiency!

Jim Easterbrook

Quote from: weave on August 24, 2022, 01:15:51 PM
My Google Translate says it means 'rails' but other meanings underneath say 'splint' or 'put in a splint' which I thought summed it all up perfectly  :). German efficiency!

I think Joe was translating the picture rather than the text. :)
Jim Easterbrook

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations