The Adventures of Globibahn

Started by Globibahn, January 17, 2021, 09:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alcazar

I can get "Wyke", farmhouse cheddar (young or aged), the red stuff and Wensleydale from the cheese counter, straight from the block or wheel, at my local Edeka in Lörrach - but it's very special supermarket anyway. My wife loves the Wyke (pictured and bought yesterday).

Peter

ntpntpntp

@Alcazar   Ah yes,  Wyke Farms cheddar.  We normally buy that in Lidl, I prefer it to Cathedral City.    "wiki-cheese" as we affectionally call it :D
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Globibahn

Quote from: Alcazar on August 06, 2022, 03:35:37 PM
I can get "Wyke", farmhouse cheddar (young or aged), the red stuff and Wensleydale from the cheese counter, straight from the block or wheel, at my local Edeka in Lörrach - but it's very special supermarket anyway. My wife loves the Wyke (pictured and bought yesterday).

Peter

That looks nice, nice and mature. OK will try to keep an eye out for it. Hope it is not hugely expensive! :-[

Globibahn

Tomorrow I will have been here in Saxony for 6 whole months, can't believe it!

One thing I always find of interest is making cultural observations. I in no way believe that Britain is better than Germany or vice versa, there is an equal measure of good and less-good things in both countries!

So disclaimer, the following is really only presented for entertainment purposes.

Observations about Germany:

1. Lids and boxes. When you buy a storage box at the hardwore superstore, the box and lid are sold as separate items. Why anybody would ever want a box with no lid completely defeats me.

2. Shirtlessness for men in public is not tollerable. The only excepetion would be some public parks, where there is an alternative vibe.

3. Drinking alcohol on the street is totally normal. Beer is always drunk from bottles. A consequence is that there is a lot of smashed bottle glass everywhere.

4. As a pedestrian, the traffic lights do not have buttons on them, they have hand sensors. Often it is hard to tell if the sensor has been activated. Coupled with very long wait times for lights to change in favour of the pedestrian, this can lead to confusion while waiting to cross safely.

5. In queues, there is a usually prevailing sense of haste and urgency. It is never possible to relax in a queueing situation.

6. Men don't kiss women as a form of greeting, unless already close friends (or family).

7. Kindergarten nannies often push sets of 6 or so toddlers around town in little rectangular cargo carts.

8. For administrative purposes, there is an office for everything, which you actually go to to speak to someone. Everything from vehicle admin to taxes.

I am sure there are plenty of things I have missed out! ;D

mika

Haha, that's Germany in a nutshell  :D

Dave_K

A box without a lid included? Savages! lol

I can agree with no.2 completely.

Interesting observations, thanks for sharing.

dannyboy

Quote from: Globibahn on August 08, 2022, 01:50:14 PM

8. For administrative purposes, there is an office for everything, which you actually go to to speak to someone. Everything from vehicle admin to taxes.

In the spirit of the post, fancy being able to go and speak to someone in person - is this a backward or a forward step?
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Globibahn

Quote from: dannyboy on August 08, 2022, 02:04:46 PM

In the spirit of the post, fancy being able to go and speak to someone in person - is this a backward or a forward step?

I assume this is more like how things once were in the UK, say in the 1960s - when the town hall was there for such purposes and things were not so much centralised. I think it is nice, as things can often be sorted out better face-to-face.

Presumably it does cost the tax payer more, to provide all these facilities. :hmmm:

Globibahn

Quote from: mika on August 08, 2022, 01:54:24 PM
Haha, that's Germany in a nutshell  :D

I am sure there is plenty of material for a 2nd list! :D

Hiawatha

Quote from: Dave_K on August 08, 2022, 01:58:05 PM
A box without a lid included? Savages! lol
What a waste to buy a complete box if only the lid got damaged! :P

And relaxing while standing in a queue? :no:

Had to look for the Kindergarten carts. Never seen them before, not even on TV. :goggleeyes:
Peter

Alcazar

So disclaimer, the following is really only presented for entertainment purposes.

Observations about Germany:
1. Lids and boxes. When you buy a storage box at the hardwore superstore, the box and lid are sold as separate items. Why anybody would ever want a box with no lid completely defeats me.
2. Shirtlessness for men in public is not tollerable. The only excepetion would be some public parks, where there is an alternative vibe.
3. Drinking alcohol on the street is totally normal. Beer is always drunk from bottles. A consequence is that there is a lot of smashed bottle glass everywhere.
4. As a pedestrian, the traffic lights do not have buttons on them, they have hand sensors. Often it is hard to tell if the sensor has been activated. Coupled with very long wait times for lights to change in favour of the pedestrian, this can lead to confusion while waiting to cross safely.
5. In queues, there is a usually prevailing sense of haste and urgency. It is never possible to relax in a queueing situation.
6. Men don't kiss women as a form of greeting, unless already close friends (or family).
7. Kindergarten nannies often push sets of 6 or so toddlers around town in little rectangular cargo carts.

1. Depends whether they are stackable without lids or what they are used for - I have plenty of old IKEA toy boxes where I collect paper and wine bottles before putting them in the blue paperbins or taking them to the bottle bank
2. And in the "ultra curve" at football matches
3. In student towns especially, e.g. Freiburg as well, but not everywhere
4. This is just to hoodwink the pedestrians and the disguise the fact that the traffic lights work in a set pattern
5. Queues!?
6. For first introductions, a handshake, for parties or e.g. meeting friends at restaurant, two pecks on the cheek - follow the lady for which side first! In Switzerland three pecks.
7. The "Bollerwagen" has other uses, particularly on May 1st and Father's Day, when it is used to transport crates of beer!
8. Because no-one answers the telephone at the tax office etc., especially if you have a question about the current ground tax reform. Still, there is a chat bot, which unfortunately says it is "still learning" at every question it is asked. Germany's answer to "the computer says no"?

Nice observations - have you found the Spanish restaurant in Neustadt yet?

Peter

Peter

joe cassidy

I remember once a German colleague asked me what is the English word for the strip of metal that holds down the edge of a fitted carpet in a doorway.

I replied :

"the strip of metal that holds down the edge of a fitted carpet in a doorway".

Globibahn

Quote from: Alcazar on August 08, 2022, 03:31:24 PM

Nice observations - have you found the Spanish restaurant in Neustadt yet?

Peter

Peter

LOL good responses, I did not know those carts were called Bollerwagen. ;D

No I haven't chanced upon the restaurant yet, will have to keep an eye out!

Globibahn

Quote from: Globibahn on August 05, 2022, 06:38:35 PM
One of the things I do miss is real Cheddar Cheese!

Funnily enough, they did sell Cathedral City at the big Kaufland Supermarket in Neustadt Sachsen. But nowhere around Dresden Neustadt seems to sell that.

Today, however, I did discover this in Lidl. It looks the right colour (often stuff sold as Cheddar has a red colour, I never even tried it of course)! This product is manufactured by 'Dale Farm' (it is not a farm, it is a massive manufacturing concern) in Ireland. They produce 'Dramona Cheddar'. Anyway, not complaining, keen to give it a try! It looks smooth, so not a very mature Cheddar, I imagine.

It is with bitter disappointment that I have to report this alleged-"Cheddar" is a total flop.

On opening up, it looks wrong straight away. It is rubbery-smooth. Although described as medium mature, it definitely is not so. The flavour is just a generic taste, that I would describe as cheese-like.

So, on the plus side, it is definitely cheese. On the negative side, you would have to have never eaten cheddar to describe it as such.

I will move along to whatever brand I find next!

ntpntpntp

I like "rubber cheese" like that on burgers and cheese-on-toast.  Not overpowering :)
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations