The Adventures of Globibahn

Started by Globibahn, January 17, 2021, 09:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Easterbrook

Quote from: Globibahn on May 23, 2022, 09:40:41 PM
How would one theoretically get from Dresden to Lübeck using only regional trains?  :hmmm:

Slowly?
Jim Easterbrook
"I'm an engineer, not an artist!"
"Amoro, emptio, utiliso!"
Personal website. / Photos on Flickr. / Blog.

Hiawatha

Just tried on reiseauskunft.bahn.de for June 1. Just five trains with 7:46 hours :sleep:

Dresden 9.06 RE 50 > Leipzig 10.50
Leipzig 11.04 RE 13 > Magdeburg 12.44
Magdeburg 13.03 RE 20 > Uelzen 14.46
Uelzen 15.01 ME RE3 > Lüneburg 15.24
Lüneburg 15.45 RE 83 > Lübeck 16.52

Fastest connection would take 4:57 hours with three trains which would start two hours later and arrive one hour earlier but would cost €47 instead of €9.
Peter

Globibahn

Quote from: Jim Easterbrook on May 23, 2022, 10:26:19 PM
Quote from: Globibahn on May 23, 2022, 09:40:41 PM
How would one theoretically get from Dresden to Lübeck using only regional trains?  :hmmm:

Slowly?

All things are relative Jim - it would still be faster than walking!!!! ;D

Globibahn

Quote from: Hiawatha on May 23, 2022, 10:29:14 PM
Just tried on reiseauskunft.bahn.de for June 1. Just five trains with 7:46 hours :sleep:

Dresden 9.06 RE 50 > Leipzig 10.50
Leipzig 11.04 RE 13 > Magdeburg 12.44
Magdeburg 13.03 RE 20 > Uelzen 14.46
Uelzen 15.01 ME RE3 > Lüneburg 15.24
Lüneburg 15.45 RE 83 > Lübeck 16.52

Fastest connection would take 4:57 hours with three trains which would start two hours later and arrive one hour earlier but would cost €47 instead of €9.

Absolutely superb, thank you so much. I will use this route in June and report back! :thumbsup: :beers:

Globibahn

This would make quite a cool urban diorama!

Globibahn

A white Vectron today pulling the service to Kiel from Prague.

And a better shot of the guide rail near the canopy supports.

Globibahn

In other general news:

I have secured myself a room for June/July/August here in Dresden. It is very close to Bahnhof Neustadt. It will be nice to have my own room, as currently I am still sharing a dorm at the hostel with 4 others!

Taking a moment to generally philosophise and ponder, I would like to move up the Elbe to Hamburg in September. It is becuase I already feel I have itchy feet. The fact that Hamburg has such an interesting harbour is a major selling point for me. It means I will have spent 6 months in Saxony, which is quite a good innings.

mika

Sounds good, Matt.

Hamburg also sounds like a very good plan. I just returned from Hamburg the other week and it's always a delight.

I always find Hamburg central station to be a point of interest.

The CD EuroCity should look fimiliar  ;)

Also, don't forget to see Miniatur Wunderland. Always a treat.

Best,
Michael

Dave_K

Seconded for Minitur Wunderland - I spent 2 days in that place. Phenomenal work and hugely enjoyable.

Globibahn

Quote from: mika on May 25, 2022, 12:33:32 PM

The CD EuroCity should look fimiliar  ;)

Best,
Michael

Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhh a CD Eurocity!!! I see them in my sleep :smiley-laughing: :bounce:

TrevL

I understand the Reeperbahn is a great place for window shopping.  ;)
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Globibahn

A Tatra T4 tram running in Dresden Neustadt today. These come out on special occasions - it may be because of the Pfingsten celebration tomorrow.

Globibahn

Hi all,

Scorching hot weekend here in Dresden. I recently moved into a flat share. Nice room and only a stone's throw from Bahnhof Neustadt.

I am living directly adjacent to the old goods yard area. It is a bit odd, some of the yard is still intact and well-serviced, with clean-looking and even new catenary. The line running towards the yard from the passenger station is freshly ballasted. However I have yet to see a single loco or wagon.

There's lots of evidence of old railway buildings around, mostly converted to art studios and the like. It is great to live in a railway-infused zone!

It is very sobering, however, to consider the role which this very goods station played in the holocaust deportations. I can't quite align it in my head with the positivity and niceness of this part of town.

Today I got a good shot of a tanker train around t'back of t'station.

And some of the old infrastructure (visible from the station main road), from when the yard was in full usage.

Dave_K

Nice to read of your continuing adventures - hope the flat share goes alright.
Interesting infrastructure to find and look for!

joe cassidy

I thought you went to Germany to be a yoga teacher ?

You seem to be on holiday permanent ?

Nice work if you can get it  :)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations