The Adventures of Globibahn

Started by Globibahn, January 17, 2021, 09:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave_K

Quote from: Globibahn on May 10, 2022, 02:55:27 PM
Cheers Dave, yes the quest for accomodation continues in ernest.

I also really like the Hectorrail livery.  :)

Yes, Basel is indeed quite a distance away. Have a grand time there!

Thank you!

Globibahn

I seem to be being followed around by Vectrons, just to spite me as a Taurus fan.

Oh well, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

This morning's Prague to Hamburg service (with MAV coaches) having a flying stop at Dresden HB. There was also a driver change.

Globibahn

i have seen quite a few Captrain locos about but yesterday at Dresden Neustadt station was the first time I actually got a clear shot of one!

Globibahn

Dresden Neustadt train station this morning. Much more lively than than the Neustadt in Sachsen train station where I was originally living!!! :D

ntpntpntp

Dresden seems to feature a lot in the youtube videos I watch from time to time.  A good mix of passenger trains plus freight on the avoiding lines round the side of the station.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Globibahn

Quote from: ntpntpntp on May 14, 2022, 12:17:41 PM
Dresden seems to feature a lot in the youtube videos I watch from time to time.  A good mix of passenger trains plus freight on the avoiding lines round the side of the station.

True Nick!

It is also certainly a good place for fans of Czech passenger and goods trains - I see them all the time!

By the way, I was meaning to ask, what is the purpose on railway tracks of having a third rail like so? This photo taken on a station platform.

ntpntpntp

My first thought would be where a point has been removed, but you'd expect to see other evidence of the other rails etc.   

Maybe some sort of derailment protection a bit like a check rail - an attempt to guide errant wheels away from the platform.

Maybe the track & sleepers in that location suffer from a lot of forces (tight curves?) and needed something to help lock the sleepers.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

swisstrains

Hi Matt. Does your photo show the start of a longer section of rail that runs parallel to the running rail to the right?
If so, is it also in the vicinity of the pillars that support the station roof? Check rails or guard rails are often provided to stop derailed vehicles from bringing down the station roof. They are also used on tracks adjacent to bridges where the supporting pillars are not deemed to be particularly substantial. The Eschede ICE disaster was made much worse because the train hit the bridge piers and it collapsed onto it.

Globibahn

Quote from: swisstrains on May 14, 2022, 02:26:02 PM
Hi Matt. Does your photo show the start of a longer section of rail that runs parallel to the running rail to the right?
If so, is it also in the vicinity of the pillars that support the station roof? Check rails or guard rails are often provided to stop derailed vehicles from bringing down the station roof. They are also used on tracks adjacent to bridges where the supporting pillars are not deemed to be particularly substantial. The Eschede ICE disaster was made much worse because the train hit the bridge piers and it collapsed onto it.

Cheers John and Nick!

I should have provided a wider establishing shot. Yes it is more or less as you describe John, this is indeed the start of a long third rail section that continues for the section under the station canopy, therefore being near pillars. I'll go back for another look.

swisstrains

I should have looked more closely at your photo of the Captrain 185. You can see the track in question next to the platform you are standing on. I assume there is a similar arrangement on the the 185s track.

Globibahn

Quote from: swisstrains on May 14, 2022, 09:52:02 PM
I should have looked more closely at your photo of the Captrain 185. You can see the track in question next to the platform you are standing on. I assume there is a similar arrangement on the the 185s track.

Excellent observation skills John (or should I say Monsieur Poirot? :smiley-laughing:) ! Yes you can see the start of the guide rail in the 185 photo. There is indeed one underneath the freight train too, it is actually in mirror image.

Globibahn

It has been a busy few days. I finally got accepted into the German public health system. It was all rather complicated (and expensive - oh how I miss the NHS!)

The weather here has been really great. I am still living at the hostel - at the moment there are lots of guests from the United States. I have been having a great time with new friends from Kentucky and California. We took the short train ride together to Kurort Rathen, where you can take a ferry over the Elbe and do a hike to the Basteibrücke bridge in the rocks.

We noticed a lot of locals drinking a bright green sparkling drink. We inquired what it was and it turns out this is Waldmeister Limonade - made from the small 'Woodruff' forest flower buds. It was very herby and refreshing.

Dave_K

Great pics Matt, well done getting onto the German health system! That walk looks like a bit of a climb!

Globibahn

Quote from: Dave_K on May 23, 2022, 03:26:19 PM
Great pics Matt, well done getting onto the German health system! That walk looks like a bit of a climb!

Thanks Dave, yes was a bit of a climb! ;D

Globibahn

There's much excitement here over the 9€ whole Germany ticket available June/ July/ August

https://www.bahn.com/en/offers/regional/9-euro-ticket-en

How would one theoretically get from Dresden to Lübeck using only regional trains?  :hmmm:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations