The Adventures of Globibahn

Started by Globibahn, January 17, 2021, 09:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe cassidy

Have you found any model railway shops ?

Globibahn

Quote from: joe cassidy on April 20, 2022, 05:28:14 PM
Have you found any model railway shops ?

That is on my to-do list! Will report back. :thumbsup:

Globibahn

Yesterday was a bit dull weather-wise. Ideal for museums, so went to the Albertinum art gallery with 2 of my new friends from the hostel, who were visiting from southern Germany.

Feeling pooped after so much art viewing!

Jim Easterbrook

Please don't sit on the artworks.
Jim Easterbrook
"I'm an engineer, not an artist!"
"Amoro, emptio, utiliso!"
Personal website. / Photos on Flickr. / Blog.

Globibahn

Yesterday was nice and sunny so spent a day at the park.

Today, by contrast, has been rather dull and rainy, so took myself to the Dresden war museum, which is only 15 minutes walk from the hostel.

The museum looks at war from a conceptual and categorised viewpoint. It is not so much a 'gear' enthusiasts museum, like say Duxford. It was very interesting however - I even got a brief personal history lesson about the building and its siginificance from one of their on-hand assistants.

The museum was a former armaments house during the Prussian era. If I understood the assistant's German correctly, the modern 'wedge' extension represents/indicates angles and co-ordinates significant to the RAF Pathfinder flares dropped on the night of the heaviest bombing in Dresden.

Well worth a visit!

Globibahn

Borrowed one of the hostel's bikes and had a fab ride down through the town to the main station.

Found Hectorrail double-trouble in my favourite siding! Lokos 'Biberkopf' and 'Daniel'. ;)

Globibahn

One of the things I am greatly missing about the UK is Today's Railways International magazine! There is just nothing that comes close in the German language. One magazine does provide a similar international overview, but the photography is not very good.

Big gap in the market here!

Globibahn

Had a milestone day on Thursday - it was my appointment at the Foreigners' Office. I have been approved to work and stay here long term! A big relief.

I decided I no longer wanted to be a burdon on my hosts (plus it was a bit too far from the city), therefore I have moved to a city hostel for several weeks with determination to find my longer-term lodgings. I literally have no idea where in the city I will be living in a month's time - both scary and exciting!

It is nice and sunny now in Dresden - I was getting a bit weary of cold weather.

After two months here, I now become irrationally excited when I sometimes (and it is rarely) hear regular English people speaking! ;D

Bealman

That's gotta be good news for you!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

joe cassidy

Quote from: Globibahn on May 07, 2022, 10:46:01 AM
After two months here, I now become irrationally excited when I sometimes (and it is rarely) hear regular English people speaking! ;D

Does that include Australians ?  :)

Globibahn

Quote from: Bealman on May 07, 2022, 10:52:20 AM
That's gotta be good news for you!  :thumbsup:

Thank you Bealman, it most definitely is! :)

Globibahn

Quote from: joe cassidy on May 07, 2022, 11:46:23 AM
Quote from: Globibahn on May 07, 2022, 10:46:01 AM

Does that include Australians ?  :)

Yes, any English is good, no matter what the accent!

Dave_K

Congratulations on being allowed to stay! Good luck finding a place to stay proper!.
Like those Hectorrail locos, nice livery.
I forget how big Germany actually is, a pity as I'll be in Basel next week - so close , yet so far!!

joe cassidy

Will you have time to visit the French national railway museum in Mulhouse ?

Globibahn

Quote from: Dave_K on May 09, 2022, 04:25:16 PM
Congratulations on being allowed to stay! Good luck finding a place to stay proper!.
Like those Hectorrail locos, nice livery.
I forget how big Germany actually is, a pity as I'll be in Basel next week - so close , yet so far!!

Cheers Dave, yes the quest for accomodation continues in ernest.

I also really like the Hectorrail livery.  :)

Yes, Basel is indeed quite a distance away. Have a grand time there!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations