The Adventures of Globibahn

Started by Globibahn, January 17, 2021, 09:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Globibahn

Hello all,

I'm going to be moving to central europe in early 2021 (doing my job as yoga teacher) and this thread will track my train-based and general adventures. I'm only taking 1 suitcase with me!

Some may be familiar with my Globibahn SBB layout thread over here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=42824.0 This layout is now being packed up to place into cryogenic storage.  :D

Here's an album of the Globibahn layout: https://photos.app.goo.gl/q2z2C9NARWJJnwx39

Back in September 2020 I did an Interrail trip around Germany, including a visit to Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg. I'm just re-posting the travelogue PDF as a little reminder.

Will be nice to have you all on board with me, as I plan, prepare and then embark on the trip!

Matt AKA Globibahn

weave

Hi Matt,

Looking forward to your adventures and lots of train (and beer) pics please.

Cheers, weave  :beers:

Globibahn

Quote from: weave on January 17, 2021, 09:37:35 AM
Hi Matt,

Looking forward to your adventures and lots of train (and beer) pics please.

Cheers, weave  :beers:

It will be a pleasure!

Meanwhile, the bike box arrived. It is the correct size - phew! It was flat packed, so I've used about 5 sticks from the hot glue gun to construct it. In addition, I will add duct tape and nylon straps to prevent any possibility of the box coming apart in transit.

Next thing is to make the wooden corner struts which will attach to the layout baseboard.

Globibahn

Working on the framework for the baseboard.

Globibahn

Progress on the layout framework.

I've also ordered a lot of plastic shot glasses on ebay - can anyone guess why??? :hmmm:

Globibahn

The little figures are superglued on my layout. However to be on the safe side I'm gluing plastic shot glasses over them with copydex, which will be fully removeable.

Looks a bit surreal!  ;D

swisstrains

They'll suffocate  :goggleeyes:
Poor little souls.

Globibahn

Quote from: swisstrains on February 05, 2021, 08:44:07 PM
They'll suffocate  :goggleeyes:
Poor little souls.

I hadn't really thought about airflow! Is there an organisation for the rights of mini layout figures whom I could consult? :hmmm:

Globibahn

Globibahn

Had a bit of a Homer Simpson 'Doh!' moment.

I thought I would remove one of the shot glassess to see if it had any effect on the paint. As it turns out, the glasses were stuck on much too strongly and the copydex had manged to seep into the acrylic paint and soften it.

Anyway, I removed the whole lot and half the paint on the platforms with them.

Several points from this:

1. I had been thinking, that in future I would glue figures in groups onto movable base plates anyway, so this has forced my hand. This enables moving figures around and onto new layouts/ dioramas etc.

2. Adhesion of acrylic modelling paints onto smooth foam core board is acceptable but not that great - I had the same issue with plaster not sticking to it also.

3. The whole Cafe scene will be re-done, also on its own base plate.

4. To summarise, looks bad but lessons learned, progress made. 8)

5. Having all my workmen on base plates means I can put them on the container yard diorama I'm thinking of doing....

chrism

Quote from: Globibahn on February 06, 2021, 01:54:55 PM

Looks more like an "Oh shot" moment to me.

Globibahn

Quote from: chrism on February 06, 2021, 02:17:31 PM
Quote from: Globibahn on February 06, 2021, 01:54:55 PM

Looks more like an "Oh shot" moment to me.

Anglo-Saxon expletives may well have issued forth!  :smiley-laughing:

Globibahn

Righty -ho.

I've set to work making the new base for the cafe scene...

Globibahn

Globibahn is finally in it's box ready for storage!

The final look of the layout converted into a crate, so-to-speak.

Bagged up. The belts help to squash the air out, otherewise puttting in the box very difficult.

There's 2 x 500gr bags of silica gel, held within string bags, placed in there to keep it's microclimate dry.

Slotting into the box. Easy!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations