500 Error when trying to access forum - multiple devices and locations

Started by Dr.Rob, November 13, 2014, 02:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr.Rob

500 - An Error Has Occurred. Please Check Your Scripts
An error has occurred and the server was unable to complete your request. The server has reported "internal server error" as it it not able to determine the cause of the problem.
The most common reason for seeing this page is because of a website scripting error. Website administrators should check the following:
Incorrect permissions
The top cause of this error is incorrect permissions on a script or directory. Directories that contain web content (including cgi scripts) must be mode 755. CGI scripts must also be 755. PHP scripts outside cgi-bin folders must be mode 644.
Invalid script interpreter
The script interpreter is defined on the first line of the script after the #! and must exist on the server. This is usually perl and needs to be '/usr/bin/perl'. If you wish to use php, please use '/usr/bin/php5-cgi'. These paths can vary from system to system and it's important to ensure that they're correct for this server.
Script uploaded in binary mode
Text files are very slightly different between Unix and Windows platforms. If you upload in ASCII mode, the ftp server will translate the files to Unix mode for you if necessary. If you upload in binary mode, it won't. CGI scripts are one of the few places on web servers where this difference actually matters.
Script did not output headers
CGI scripts must output HTTP headers. If you're using PHP, it will do this for you. If you're using Perl, you must do it yourself or use a helper module to do it for you. You must also ensure that the headers are always the first output generated by the script. It's not uncommon for test or debugging code to output a message before the headers and that will cause the server to treat the script as broken.
Syntax error in script
This error will be generated if scripts have syntax errors and don't actually run successfully. You should obtain the relevant interpreter for your script and try to run it before uploading as this is the easiest way to ensure that there are no syntax errors.
Script is trying to use a module not installed on the server
Perl scripts will usually die with an error if a module the script requires is not installed. If you suspect a module you require is not installed, please contact support.
Error in .htaccess
This error will be returned if there is a directive Apache does not understand in the .htaccess file.
What to do if all else fails
If you've checked all of these things and can't fix the problem, our support staff will be able to find out more specific details of the actual problem and give you more detailed information on how to resolve it.

Tank

keithfre

I've had that a few times in recent days too, but it usually goes away if I log on again soon after.

steve836

Quote from: keithfre on November 13, 2014, 03:18:53 PM
I've had that a few times in recent days too, but it usually goes away if I log on again soon after.

Same here.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Ditape

Quote from: keithfre on November 13, 2014, 03:18:53 PM
Same here.
Diane Tape

mickd247

I got the same 500 error this morning at 07.45, but this evening the site came up ok, but have also noticed that pages seem to take a while to load, which has been the case for several days now.

Mick

Geoff

Geoff

austinbob

Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

MJKERR

The error 500 is caused by the PHP handler of the server
May I suggest to the website administrator that they create a plain HTML file in the public_html folder
This will then display to any visitor and confirm the server is alive, when the php handler has slowed down or stopped

steve836

Quote from: mjkerr on November 13, 2014, 10:50:44 PM
May I suggest to the website administrator that they create a plain HTML file in the public_html folder
This will then display to any visitor and confirm the server is alive, when the php handler has slowed down or stopped

What's that in English?
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

MJKERR

Quote from: steve836 on November 14, 2014, 07:59:43 AM
Quote from: mjkerr on November 13, 2014, 10:50:44 PM
What's that in English?
That is English, but any website administrator will understand this

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations