The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pengi

One of my business twitter accounts got hacked  :veryangry:- luckily I caught it in time - and my password contained a number of non-alphanumeric characters  :o
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Caz

Sounds like a key logger jobby.   :worried:
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Newportnobby

Quote from: Caz on August 11, 2015, 08:30:10 PM
Sounds like a key logger jobby.   :worried:

Being a computer numpty (amongst other things) is there any way I can counteract that or guard against it please?

lil chris

I do not we can help you with being a numpty Mick,he..he.. but do not use the same password for lots of sites especially if they contain important information. I usually have save passwords and History turned off on my browser and if you are worried about such things use a good anti virus scanner and keep it updated. The only trouble with virus scanners is they slow your computer down, but that is the price you pay for security.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

MikeDunn

As Chris says, if you're a numpty if you want to avoid key loggers, you need to have a decent A/V product (I use Avast @ home, works lappie uses McAfee I think - not a fan of that, but I avoid Norton like the plague these days !); a decent anti-malware (I have SpyBot & Defender); don't allow password caching; use unique passwords to sites; use strong passwords that can't be cracked using a dictionary attack, at least 8 characters mixing upper-case, lower-case, numbers and special characters (the latter where possible - some systems refuse them  ???); only install things you absolutely trust; avoid dodgy websites.  What should be the usual things ...

Make sure you run scans relatively regularly; weekly is good.  No need to be present either; fire off before you head out for the day, or overnight when you're in bed.

Sprintex

Quote from: MikeDunn on August 12, 2015, 08:57:45 AM
fire off . . . overnight when you're in bed.

That's a mental image I can do without  :worried:

Paul

MikeDunn

Quote from: Sprintex on August 12, 2015, 09:57:19 AM
That's a mental image I can do without  :worried:
... says the man who gave us nightmares (see what I did there  :P) with the image on the left ... !!!

Sprintex

Touche :laughabovepost:

Paul

railsquid

steve836

KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Sprintex

It's a piece of malware that records key strokes you make on the keyboard and can report back to the perpetrator, thereby supplying them with your passwords ;)

Paul

steve836

Quote from: Sprintex on August 12, 2015, 07:16:04 PM
It's a piece of malware that records key strokes you make on the keyboard and can report back to the perpetrator, thereby supplying them with your passwords ;)

Paul

Thanks Paul, but if it does that what difference does making your password so complicated make?

KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Sprintex

It doesn't make any difference if you have a key-logger program present. The idea behind making your passwords complicated is to make them difficult for a hacker to guess.

Paul

Malc

Key loggers aren't that common. You have to visit a dodgy site and let it install some software. Most decent virus checkers will examine any files downloaded and quarantine them if they are dodgy. You should avoid opening attachments on unsolicited mail for the same reason.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Tom U

I have been told that using an on-screen keyboard will prevent keyloggers from recording your input.  Don't know if that is true, but I always use the on-screen keyboard when inputting important data such as bank login etc.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations