What's the answer?

Started by Newportnobby, August 01, 2019, 02:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave d

Although I can remember those BODMAS instructions, I have used my trusty programmable CASIO calculator.
Must be correct cos it got me through all my qualification exams!
According to the calculator - the answer is 1  :)
Therefore ..... : for the calculation of bills I have to pay - I will use the calculator. For the acceptance of any payments I will use Google answers  ;D

dave d

Arrrrggghhhh!!!!
Just tried it with the multiplication sign inserted where multiplication is assumed .........
..... answer is 16  :o
Must needs take me off to a hermits cave ... need to contemplate reality  :confused1: :confused1:

red_death

I'm surprised that people are getting 1 - you can only do that if you add in extra brackets.

BODMAS is pretty clear that the correct answer is 16. (2+2) = 4 (Brackets first) as is 8 / 2 = 4 (Division) then the Multiplication of 4 x 4.

stevewalker

The question is ambiguous. I'd argue that 8 ÷ 2(2 + 2), can give you 8 ÷ 2(4), giving 8 ÷ 8.

If it was written as 8 ÷ 2x (where x = 4), you'd not divide the 8 by 2 and then multiply by 4, you'd multiply the 2 by 4 and then divide the 8 by the resulting 8.

Both versions are right and so if the equation were real, it'd need to be rearranged into a non-ambiguous version.

ntpntpntp

@stevewalker yes and that's how I would read it: 8 / 2(4) = 1 

As I posted way back the expression is written in an ambiguous way and if I were dealing with this as a specification for software I would require the originator to clarify the requirement.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Bealman

Agree. That's why it's out and about on the internet. Stirs up stuff like thinking, which maybe is no bad thing  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

crewearpley40

Educational game think it is

PaulCheffus

Quote from: stevewalker on August 05, 2019, 10:20:28 PM
The question is ambiguous. I'd argue that 8 ÷ 2(2 + 2), can give you 8 ÷ 2(4), giving 8 ÷ 8.

If it was written as 8 ÷ 2x (where x = 4), you'd not divide the 8 by 2 and then multiply by 4, you'd multiply the 2 by 4 and then divide the 8 by the resulting 8.

Both versions are right and so if the equation were real, it'd need to be rearranged into a non-ambiguous version.

Hi

Even then it would be 16 as division has a higher precedence than multiply.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

Bealman

I'm starting to think we've exhausted all possibilities here!

geoffc

Is this why every project goes over time and budget, the person submitting the project has calculated the higher value and the person accepting it has calculated the lower value?

Geoff

crewearpley40

Bealman

Quote from: geoffc on August 06, 2019, 09:30:24 AM
Is this why every project goes over time and budget, the person submitting the project has calculated the higher value and the person accepting it has calculated the lower value?

Geoff

Ah well, too easy then.

NewportNobby?

Please explain  ;D

Newportnobby

Going by how I was taught the 8 ÷ 2(2 + 2) would equal 1.
However, the insertion of a space in front of the bracket i.e. 8 ÷ 2 (2 + 2) would lead me to the answer of 16 but, then again, I'm a dunderhead.

njee20

Quote from: PaulCheffus on August 06, 2019, 09:24:17 AM

Even then it would be 16 as division has a higher precedence than multiply.

Cheers

Paul

Actually they're equal, although obviously the D comes first in BODMAS, as I said, in the American version they use PEMDAS; the point is that multiplication and division have a higher precedence than addition and subtraction. Then you work left to right.

dannyboy

Can we all agree that the answer is 1, (or 16), depending on your way of working out the formula and then put this to bed please?  :headbutt:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations