What's the answer?

Started by Newportnobby, August 01, 2019, 02:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Train Waiting

I made it 1.  The acronyms are new to me.

School days were a long time ago for me, though.

When interviewing Bright Young Things, I have been know to ask them what's twice times the half of two-thirds!

Best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

crewearpley40

educational games to test  our patience, skills and helping one another on this forum ????

dannyboy

You didn't think that the 'N Gauge Forum' was all about n gauge stuff did you?   :no: We could write our own encyclopaedia with the knowledge on here.  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

crewearpley40

agree with you there dannyboy

njee20

Quote from: dannyboy on August 01, 2019, 03:50:18 PM
See, I said some of you must have gone to posh schools.  ;). Who decided that if there is no operator, you should insert a multiplication sign! Nobody told me that.  :)

Always been a thing. 2Y means 2 times Y, you don't need to write a multiplication symbol.

Bealman

Exactly. I was taught that multiplication means "lots of"

So 3y means 3 lots of y, in other words, y+y+y, or 3 times y.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Yet_Another

As ntpntpntp implies, there is only one correct answer, and that answer is a question. That question is:'What exactly do you mean by "8/2(2+2)"'
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Trainfish

Microsoft Excel says there's an error in the formula and offers a x before the bracket which means the answer becomes 16. That's what it was when I was at school too so it must be right  :P
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Platy767

Let y=(2+2)

2y=8

8/8=1

8/2(2+2)=1. I thought the missing explicit * grouped the 2(2+2) together? And that's how my Sharp calculator calculates the answer to be 1.

It would be 16 if it was expressed as 8/2*(2+2) and the Sharp agrees!

Mark

crewearpley40

the same conclusion doing mental arithmetic i had

Bealman

Just typing the original expression into the calculator on this phone gives 16.

crewearpley40

You glad you did not teach mathematics

Bealman

I taught Physics - lot of maths involved!  ;)

crewearpley40

Ok george. Probably best not to repeat my physics teacher ' s habits here. I did better at maths, history and cricket.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations