Oxford Diecast - Commercial Vehicles

Started by port perran, May 18, 2011, 09:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

port perran

Oxford Diecast are adding to their N Gauge model list all the time. Plenty of cars and buses/coaches but as yet no (as far as I know) lorries or commercial vehicles. 1950s/60s models would be ideal for me.
I know that other companies do offer such vehicles but Oxord are cheap and of a good quality.
Here's hoping !!
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Alex

Hi,

I was in touch with Oxford about the same thing a few months ago. They said they will be producing early commercial vehicles but they wouldn't be out until next year. As you say great little models at a very reasonable price. Most of my vehicles are from Oxford. They are also very easy to convert and detail.

Anglia with a scratchbuilt engine.

Morris pick up converted from a Morris van.

And a bruger van from one of their caravans.

Alex

H

Quote from: port perran on May 18, 2011, 09:34:02 PMI know that other companies do offer such vehicles but Oxord are cheap and of a good quality.

Hmm, although they're 'reasonable' and better than many I'm not so sure about that.

The cast metal Cxford models (buses and lorries) don't have flush glazing and the moulded plastic ones tend to have a translucent paint finish and need painting black on the inside to stop the light showing through. Also some are very much underscale; check out the caravan - an average person/figure couldn't stand upright inside. And the range is very much skewed to the oldie period; there is very little from the 80s, 90s, and this millennium.

Tomytec models are superior quality and relatively cheap but the range is also rather limited. The detail and finish is far crisper although that's difficult to show in a pic.

H.

EtchedPixels

I really like the burger van - it has that right air of "am I hungry enough to risk it"
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Alex

Hi,

Although I don't have any Tomytec vehicles they do look well done, but they are too modern for my needs. I have some Fleetline/Gem white metal trucks, mainly Bedford TKs, and they are ok for scenery fillers.

It doesn't really matter to me if the windows are flush fitted or not. At the range they are viewed from it's not really noticable. I suppose I could make them flush fitting if I fill the voids with Humbrol Clearfix. Not all N Gauge stuff is exactly 1/148, so we have to make do with what is available. When I was a wargamer not all 15mm figures were 15mm.

Alex

Vulcan

Not Oxford diecast, but there are some nice model Skodas available. I bought one and repainted it to represent my car. Only thing is I tend to park it in some stupid places....

Cheers,

David

H

Quote from: Vulcan on May 19, 2011, 10:21:14 PM
Not Oxford diecast, but there are some nice model Skodas available.

What make is the skoda model?

H.

D306Whistler

I would like to see a couple of Scania CP31 Fire Engines come out in N gauge to go with my large Fire Station :). Being a collector of Emergency Vehicles, I have one in a larger gauge from Oxford DC. That Skoda is a nice model by the way, is that a Herpa or a Vollmer model?
Check out my YouTube channel here
My Flickr Transport & Model Railway Gallery!

If you say "pls" because its shorter than "please", I will say "no" because its shorter than "yes" :P.

H

Quote from: D306Whistler on May 20, 2011, 02:54:58 PM
I would like to see a couple of Scania CP31 Fire Engines come out in N gauge to go with my large Fire Station

Hmm, you obviously don't read N'spirations otherwise you'd know that this Scania N gauge fire engine is already available (although I don't know if it's a CP31);

H.

Vulcan

Sorry, not sure what make the Skoda is, I'm not sure where its box is now. I'll try and remember to have a look at the ones in the shop on Monday to find out.

its also good at doing donuts:

Cheers,

David

D306Whistler

Quote from: H on May 20, 2011, 03:21:00 PM
I would like to see a couple of Scania CP31 Fire Engines come out in N gauge to go with my large Fire Station

Hmm, you obviously don't read N'spirations otherwise you'd know that this Scania N gauge fire engine is already available (although I don't know if it's a CP31);

H.

No mate, the only mags I read are Railway Modeller and Continental Modeller. Now that you have brought my attention to this model I will buy one for my Fire Department Fleet on my layout :). Oxford are bringing out a Dennis RS in 1:76 scale apparently, so if they follow on with an N scale variant. I will be very happy and I will probably giveaway my Hino Blue Hazmat Truck to another N gauge forum member who might have a use for it ;).
Check out my YouTube channel here
My Flickr Transport & Model Railway Gallery!

If you say "pls" because its shorter than "please", I will say "no" because its shorter than "yes" :P.

Bob(K)

Quote from: port perran on May 18, 2011, 09:34:02 PM
Oxford Diecast are adding to their N Gauge model list all the time. Plenty of cars and buses/coaches but as yet no (as far as I know) lorries or commercial vehicles. 1950s/60s models would be ideal for me.
I know that other companies do offer such vehicles but Oxord are cheap and of a good quality.
Here's hoping !!

I agree the Oxford range are good value. I have a few, including the Scammel Scarab and horse box, but you are right they could do with some basic 50s-70s basic commercial trucks for general use, such as coal yards, and other industrial areas. I am sure they will come. It is amazing how many models are available now in both N and 00 gauge as compared to say 10 years ago.

moogle

Quote from: H on May 19, 2011, 07:32:38 AM
Quote from: port perran on May 18, 2011, 09:34:02 PMI know that other companies do offer such vehicles but Oxord are cheap and of a good quality.

Hmm, although they're 'reasonable' and better than many I'm not so sure about that.

The cast metal Cxford models (buses and lorries) don't have flush glazing and the moulded plastic ones tend to have a translucent paint finish and need painting black on the inside to stop the light showing through. Also some are very much underscale; check out the caravan - an average person/figure couldn't stand upright inside. And the range is very much skewed to the oldie period; there is very little from the 80s, 90s, and this millennium.

Considering that before Oxford started their range us modellers of the oldie period had to make do with solid lumps of whitemetal I for one welcome them regardless of faults!  :thumbsup:
For years we saw nice modern (to us) models from Wiking and the like and could only dream...
Looking at the vastness of the 'OO' range I would say us oldie period N gauge modellers are in store for treats for a few years yet!  :)
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Dr Al

Quote from: H on May 20, 2011, 03:21:00 PM

Err, is this an advertising forum, given that you produce and sell N'spirations....?

Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations