New Farish Class 44, 45 and 46 Models Cancelled

Started by Ian Morton, October 08, 2015, 04:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ditape

Maybe they will consider bring production back to the UK if China is getting problematic.
Diane Tape

JasonBz

Quote from: Ditape on October 27, 2015, 07:07:08 PM
Maybe they will consider bring production back to the UK if China is getting problematic.

I doubt it will get that bad, I seem to recall reading that UK produced locomotives to current specifications would retail in the region of £250 /£300 a pop

Thorpe Parva

Quote from: Ditape on October 27, 2015, 07:07:08 PM

I think you'll find that Bachmann/Farish is a Chinese-owned Company.

Parky

hmm might give up on this N gauge lark and pursue my looking at O gauge. Fed up with these supply games

red_death

Quote from: Parky on October 28, 2015, 05:32:15 PM
hmm might give up on this N gauge lark and pursue my looking at O gauge. Fed up with these supply games

I'm not sure that you will find things any better in O, in fact considerably worse if Heljan are anything to go by ie very limited batch production and single runs!

Cheers, Mike

Mr PJ

I don't know if Bachmann are quite that unresponsive to demand.
The Mk2a Blue/grey TSOs have pretty much sold out now, but most suppliers have them available for pre-order, which indicates another batch should be on the way, at some point at least...

As for the Class 25/3s I pointed out to the people who do the wish-list poll 4 weeks ago that this was the biggest missing gap of for 2mm diesels at the moment (though obviously joined by the peaks now!) in the N gauge market - but they said it was too late as the agenda was already set - but might be added in 2016. Probably doesn't help getting new models on the market when manufacturers aren't getting the information about what is really wanted in the first place, particularly when in this case the chassis is already available (albeit only half a dozen later body-style 25s had the boiler water tanks).

Cheers,
Paul

oreamnos

It's been several months since I've read this forum and I just saw this thread.

This is no surprise to me at all.  In fact - I'm not sure if it was here or at RMWeb - but over a year ago I opined that they would axe this release of Peaks.  I'm pretty sure they were part of the 2013-14 catalog and the RRP was around 90 quid - something ridiculous considering the primitive mechanical specification.  The factory weathering was a minus in my book, too.

I agree with others that it makes no sense to keep producing the Peaks with the old non-DCC friendly chassis given that it was now unique in the Farish range.

I hope the existing body tools for the 44/45/46 are still OK - all the multiple toolings (I think I counted 7 unique body variations altogether once) really are quite good.  I'm hoping Farish keeps the body and simply retool its attachment points to fit a new chassis, much like it retooled the majority of the old Poole bodies to fit the first gen BachFar split-frame chassis.

When is the new Class 40 due?  Next Autumn?  Once it is done I'd expect the same chassis to be used for the Peaks but even using the existing body the Peaks would need new bogie tooling (which actually would be a good thing given how over-wide the current ones are).  So maybe new Peaks in 2018-19 or 2019-20?

I really liked the original model (wide bogies aside) and have bought more than a few since 2006.  Interestingly I bought 3 of them from Hattons pre-owned within the past two months, each for less than £35 because they allegedly were broken and wouldn't run, but the problem was only split gears!  I expect secondhand prices to rise now.

OT, but I've had a go at fitting Peak bogies to a Cl 40 chassis.  They do fit and even though they aren't real 40 bogies, they look extremely good actually (the buffer beams line up right with the nose ends),  The only catch is that there is a little interference with the 40 water tank which requires a bit of trimming to the inner ends of the Peak bogies and I haven't been able to bring myself to do that.

Matt

railsquid

Quote from: oreamnos on November 25, 2015, 12:45:48 AM
It's been several months since I've read this forum and I just saw this thread.

This is no surprise to me at all.  In fact - I'm not sure if it was here or at RMWeb - but over a year ago I opined that they would axe this release of Peaks.  I'm pretty sure they were part of the 2013-14 catalog and the RRP was around 90 quid - something ridiculous considering the primitive mechanical specification.  The factory weathering was a minus in my book, too.

The models quoted at the start of this thread are in the 2014 catalogue in a very over-weathered looking state.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations