How prototypical are you?

Started by scottmitchell74, January 25, 2014, 06:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottmitchell74

My current layout is wildly non-prototypical. I struggle with this, because sometimes I want to make it look more realistic, but sometimes I want to run something based only on whimsy.

I am in the process of tightening up my rolling stock a little bit so things make more sense, and if/when I start my next venture I plan on making it more prototypical (at least with the rolling stock, if not the scenery which might not pass muster).

How about you?
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

PLD

At exhibitions, we try to stick to a consistent location and period. In the clubrooms or at home, anything goes so long as it is the right gauge (we've even been known to test 009 loco on the N gauge layout!)

Alex

Hi Scott,

Good question. My Wemyss Private Railway will run to as close to prototype as possible regarding wagons and engines. The Bangor and Aroostook on the other hand runs what I can get my hands on. The engines went through 3-4 various colour schemes but I have seen photos that show all variants working together.

Also the wooden freight cars ran well into the late 50's early 60's and in all manner of colour schemes so I can basically run a mix of wooden reefers with steel freight cars. I've also got two private railroads for good measure as well.

Alex  :wave:

Luke Piewalker

I am spectacularly unprototypical.
I just added a monorail, and have a spectacular back story to allow me to run American trains on my layout...  :confused1:

scottmitchell74

Would love to read the back-story!
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

grumbeast

Astonishingly unprototypical...

Though I do try and build vague geographic regions for particular countries

Graham

Richey1977

I came to the conclusion a while ago that I'm a 'train set' man. Oval loops, stations on spurs, and those big rampy level crossings that you hardly see in prototype.

In answer to your question, I'm not after prototypical. I've relatively little knowledge about real trains anyway.

Lawrence

ParkeNd

Although I'm a newbie I reckon at best N gauge is about an allusion of a railway. So although modelling real places is required for me, reduced scale distances, simplified track formations, combination of the most attractive bits of different timelines (1920 trackplan with 1960's locos), and whatever locos I like the look of, are all fine for me. I particularly won't be going to confession if my coach rakes aren't strictly to the book - as long as my platforms and with a brake at the end is perfect.

More educated philistine than prototypical.

d-a-n

Ha! My layout is a 70s early to 90s BR blue oval trainset, consisting of a load of unsecured Kato sitting around my Ikea dining-tabletop 'desk' - the blue diesels look like they're running in a pine desert!
When I first started out, I only envisaged a single loop with 0 series bullet trains/orange TGVs/Eurostars running round but shunting was too tempting so that's where it's gone.
I do try to make my consists prototypical but sometimes I'll have a large logo 47 running with MCO 16t minerals... I started out with the large logo 47 and bought early 90s Yeoman hoppers (bought on the weight of them being weathered) thinking I'd do a 90s layout but then I realised that the interesting/cheap wagons were in an early period and started buying 80s blue stuff. Recently I've been getting all 70s blue after buying the Newspaper express so I might have a class 24 pulling 1992 onwards TTA shell wagons but seeing as I'm the only one looking it doesn't matter.

That's why I'm planning on getting an 8F austerity which will pull TOPs coded wagons.

scottmitchell74

kevin141

At show's try to run as near to current scene but a odd out of time visitor may appear even Thomas and co have been seen will now go back to the cupboard
kevin 141
Good dinner

Les1952

Both my layouts set out to provide an impression of the area rather than be a total replica of a prototype.

I've had comments like "it looks nothing like the real Furtwangen" followed by an admission that "it does look like a small town in the Black Forest", which is what I'd aimed for with Furtwangen Ost.   At home it is sometimes used as my analogue test track so a WD or a 4MT tank in the Black Forest.......

For Hawthorn Dene there is no chance of fitting the prototype of Easington Colliery into a 20 foot layout, let alone the ten feet I have available.  So an impression of the area is all I can achieve.

As for stock- a D20 (extinct in 1957) never met a Class 37 (new to the area in the mid sixties),  Billy Butlin didn't buy Silver Link and so on- but if at an exhibition I can create a convincing impression of the Durham Coast line in the early sixties I'll be happy.    The New York Central switcher and the Erie Lackawanna SD45-2 won't see use when the layout isn't in the shed.......

All the very best
Les

Newportnobby

Totally fictitious location in Oxfordshire which gives me licence to run Western, London Midland, Southern and Eastern region stock from steam through to green/maroon diesels so late 50's/early 60's.
My only aberration is a Blue Pullman which I just couldn't resist.
(said it before Bealman jumps in :P)

tutenkhamunsleeping

I'm marginally more prototypical than railways in TV programmes ;)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations