Cavalex Models to offer new 91 and mk4 coaches

Started by njee20, March 03, 2019, 11:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven B

Cavalex have delivered OO Gauge PGA which are very well regarded. They've also got PGA and BBAs on their N Gauge "to do" list.

Unfortunately, without enough support the projects won't go ahead. As much as I'd like to see a new Intercity 225 set I do wonder if it's likely to get eclipsed by the rumoured Kato Azumas.

Steven B

jpendle

I thought I'd started the Kato Azuma rumour :o :o :o :o

Is there another set of rumours floating around somewhere?

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

Skyline2uk

Out of region but defo my era.

I would be tempted by a 91 on its own as a way of doing the monsterously powerful 91+MK3s and HST DVT set (albeit the buffer power car would need some work), but would be price dependent as it's an indulgence.

Also, do Cavalex Models attend shows? Would be nice to have a chat with them about these and other proposed models.

Skyline2uk

njee20

Quote from: jpendle on March 04, 2019, 03:13:04 PM
I get that OHLE is vastly complex, but as most of use seem happy with un-prototypical Peco track I would have thought that a lot of us would be happy to compromise on OHLE as well.

And for that, you have Dapol  ;)

I agree that some sort of headspan/portal may be helpful where there's more than one track, but I'm just not sure I see that much of a market.  I wonder if 3D printing could be good for OHLE, again using a sort of modular approach.

You don't have to scratch build stuff, as said you have NBrass doing a sensible range of portals and various registration arms. They can be assembled by gluing with no solder required. I think the market for people who want basic ready to place is catered for by Dapol. If you want more variation then you've got NBrass, otherwise you scratch build. I'm just not sure I see a market for detailed RTP OHLE (catenary is just one of the wires, personal bugbear!), as it'll be wrong virtually everywhere, and people will either be happy to compromise with Dapol's cheap offering, or they'll put in the effort to get something more realistic, like NBrass or scratch building.

In reality I think a lot of people who would perhaps be the target market for the 'cheap and cheerful' stuff just don't bother at all.

Quote from: Skyline2uk on March 04, 2019, 03:30:31 PM
Also, do Cavalex Models attend shows? Would be nice to have a chat with them about these and other proposed models.

Cav certainly does with Burton on Trent, I'm struggling to think if I've seen Cavalex attend a show as a commercial entity.

@RBE ?

RBE

Hi all. Cav of Cavalex fame!

In order to releive any concerns regarding our company let me just say. Me an Alex (Perkins) have been modellers for years and I have run layouts at shows for over 10 years so what we do does come from a place of passion. We want to produce models that people want and are somewhat anal when it comes to detail and what we will accept. The 4mm PGA was a struggle at times with what can actually be fabricated on an industrial scale. We asked a lot of the factory and actually pushed their boundaries so couldn't have been happier with our first model.

As for a powered model. We want to expand and that means doing locomotives as well as stock. Everyone has to do a first one right? I come from an engineering background and am now a proffessional CAD designer by trade so can find my way around a mechanism. The factories also do these day in day out so wont produce something that wont run. I can only say give us a chance.

My next show with Burton on Trent is at Train West next month so pop over and have a chat. I will be more than happy to talk Cavalex models.

Regards
Cav

jpendle

Hi Cav,

Looking at the website, how are you dealing with international orders, shipping, pricing, etc?

Thanks,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

Bob Tidbury

:thankyousign: R B E  ,
I hope that you didn't think I was calling you a cowboy outfit  All I was asking was who are Cavalex and have they produced anything before , but I'm sorry I can't afford your intended models BUT I wish you the best of luck we need new manufacturers to keep the big boys on their toes .I have to be very careful about buying new stock and I can't unless I can sell older stuff that I very rarely run and I'm slowly sellling off the impulse buys first,then I will have to sell other regions and just keep to G W R and one or two locos that I really like .
Any way BEST WISHES FOR THE FUTURE .
Bob Tidbury

Adam1701D

I'm really interested to see how this progresses, as it's certainly an ambitious project. If offering the 225 in as built and current configuration, two sets of tooling will be required.

The 91s were refurbished along with the Mk4 coaches from 2004 with a lot of structural differences.

Class 91 became 91/1 and gained extra bodyside vents

The Mk4s received the "Project Mallard" refurbishment, losing one toilet per coach and a major rebuild of the Service Vehicle from first to standard class. The DVT also gained a WiFi dome. Since refurbishment by GNER, there have been no other major modifications to the fleet other than an internal refresh by Virgin.

The "as-built" set could be offered in Intercity and GNER livery and the Mallard set could then take on GNER "Red Doors" onwards. The sheer variety of 91 liveries possible is incredible and would certainly appeal to the limited edition market.

I would love a set in Intercity livery to replace my revinyled Farish rake.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

cutting42

This is very exciting for my 2000's ECML layout of Newark. I might have to put my 2 sets of Farish GNER 225's on ebay

woodbury22uk

Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Vonzack

Hi,

Should we not be using this link - https://www.cavalexmodels.com/class-91-expression-of-interest-form

From the Cavalex June Models update email.

Cheers, Mark.

Skyline2uk

I am interested, and I have expressed it  :thumbsup:

Skyline2uk

cutting42

monkey_brains

Likewise - it's one of those times when you feel the benefit of N Gauge and running full length trains with ease
A keen modern image modeller in N Gauge, the latest creation I am working on is Cottingfield - an N Gauge Rule 1 Layout

Plotting has started on a DC controlled layout for the trains I can't easily convert to DCC North Wroxham - an N Gauge Modern Era Layout

G_N_E_R

As Adam points out, I hope a 91/0 and 91/1 will be tooled! I'll certainly be getting a full rake in Swallow and GNER, hopefully two GNER variants if both pre and post Mallard formations are produced.

Expression of interest completed, time to start saving up the pennies!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations