Lurker first too long

Started by tank63, April 01, 2020, 03:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tank63

I've decided after many years to build a small layout using Kato track. Period BR blue only but I've only a small space to build a layout. Space 2x6 but for the life of me I can not decided on what to model. Any advice would be welcomed

dannyboy

Welcome to the forum tank63.  A 'roundy roundy' will fit in a 2' width, or, you could consider an 'end to end'. How's that for helpfulness?  ;). Seriously, have a look throughout the layout threads for starters, you might get some ideas there.  :thumbsup: I can thoroughly recommend Kato Unitrack and if you do go down that route, it is easy to make it look less 'plastic' like.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

Hi tank63, and welcome to the forum :wave:
I'd suggest an oval with a passing loop and a couple of siding as, in 6 x 2, you'll not get much more in. With a single oval being bi-directional it can make operation interesting. The advantage of an oval is you can use it to run in new locos and also run trains while sitting watching with a glass of your favourite tipple :pint:  :D

RailGooner

tank63

Thanks for the advice.
Just had a look through Ian Futters book on Scottish railways found a nice easy branchline with a small station. Very interested as I love Scotland and the people. Some class 20s,37 plus 27s should make a pleasing little layout.

Ditape

Diane Tape

Lawrence

Quote from: tank63 on April 01, 2020, 05:59:22 PM
Very interested as I love Scotland and the people.

Clearly a well educated man with exceptional taste  :D

Are you planning to use the double track high speed curves, they work very well if you can squeeze them in, I don't recall the radii at the moment but you find something to whet your appetite here https://www.katousa.com/track-plans/n-plans.html

Bealman

Quote from: Lawrence on April 01, 2020, 09:00:42 PM
Very interested as I love Scotland and the people.

Clearly a well educated man with exceptional taste  :D

:laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:

G'day from Australia, tank63, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Thanks for the advice.
Just had a look through Ian Futters book on Scottish railways found a nice easy branchline with a small station. Very interested as I love Scotland and the people. Some class 20s,37 plus 27s should make a pleasing little layout.

For such a layout I would really urge you to go for open frame construction i.e. the baseboard surface is only under any track rather than 100% coverage. This will allow you to create scenery above and below track level, something that will look really good in a 6ft length.

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

crewearpley40

Agree with mick especially if intending to portray a water scene eg a loch, river where the river bed will be lower and foundations for high hills would be made going by scottish scenery

Train Waiting

Welcome aboard.

If you like BR blue and Scottish railways, it might be a good idea to look at the Highland or West Highland lines.  The Highland Main Line has a lot of single track and allows for a fairly wide variety of motive power.  The Far North, Kyle and West Highland lines have a bit less variety of motive power but the advantage of short trains.

Best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

crewearpley40

Two layouts in n spring to mind : loch tat and loch oran
Maybe worth google ing them . Excellent u tube vids to ogle or teuchter if west highland fort William on this forum

port perran

I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

tank63

Looking  at the 70s/80s some branchline type of layout. So my question is if running a four coach train what would the formation be. Second can you get Scottish numbers to change the coach identity as I don't think any manufacturer does Scottish livery coaches as of yet.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations