Fed up with n gauge!!!

Started by bluedepot, June 24, 2011, 09:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EtchedPixels

Quote from: bluedepot on June 27, 2011, 08:15:54 PM
southernboy: "The next bit of advice was that electrofrog points alone still weren't that reliable - I would need to rewire them for polarity (so why don't they just supply them like that I asked ?? - well they just don't was the answer!! - idiots!!)" hahaha yes i've had the same thoughts... i'm not doing polarity switching on my layout, i'm still a beginner....

They don't supply them modified because it isn't needed. Its a fiction. Certain US pointwork benefits from such design change because it is to a very much finer tolerance so a wheel which is a spot out of gauge can cause problems. Fine scale points are made this way because in fine scale you've got fractions of a mm clearance. Unfortunately some people parrot the US finescale pointwork fixes as a kind of voodoo magic to cure other things, when it's not the answer, instead it merely breaks your track and invalidates the guarantees.

Peco points have huge clearances so don't need modifying. If you have a shorting problem on points only when a piece of stock goes over it then you need to check the wheels. Dapol had problems with some of the 73s being way off the correct back to back between the flanges and this is usually what needs fixing.

(If the points short when set in certain positions or all the time you have a wiring problen or are perhaps missing an insulator)

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

scotrail

Did you ever find a solution to the buzzing in corners? I have a GF loco which does this, It is just one bogie which does it (tested it off the rails with bogie turned and only one bogie affected)

Cheers

scotrail

Haha yep. I googled buzzing n gauge corners and a ngauge forum thread came up. Didnt even see the date till now!! Ps I found the problem.  One of the driveshafts was ever so slightly bent. Very light pressure and its now straightened out!

:D

CarriageShed

Interesting thread, though. I hadn't seen this one before. The moral of the story seems to be 'there are no problems in N Gauge, only solutions that haven't yet been applied'.

Sprintex

In this case I believe the 'bump' was justified in that it was asking if an answer was found to the problem. After all, that's the beauty of a forum like this is the great source of reference :)

Plus it shows some people DO use the Search button before asking :thumbsup:

Paul

scotrail

Quote from: Sprintex on June 29, 2014, 04:08:12 PM
In this case I believe the 'bump' was justified in that it was asking if an answer was found to the problem. After all, that's the beauty of a forum like this is the great source of reference :)

Plus it shows some people DO use the Search button before asking :thumbsup:

Paul

I try my best. I sense we should now let this thread return back to its resting place....

Sprintex

NeMo

Quote from: scotrail on June 29, 2014, 04:14:49 PM
I try my best. I sense we should now let this thread return back to its resting place....

Never really understood the problem with resurrecting old threads. The internet isn't a book; it doesn't need to be read from front to back. And besides, if adding new information to one thread means visitors don't have to search for two, three or more separate threads on the same topic, so much the better!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

scottmitchell74

Also! When someone starts on new thread covering the same topic, they're often shown a snarky link to the same topic existing in an older thread.  :goggleeyes: Go figure!
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Sprintex

Nothing wrong with resurrecting old threads if it's on the same subject and still relevant. As I stated above that's why the Search facility should be used :thumbsup:

The only time we refer people to earlier threads (and hopefully not in a snarky way ::) ) is when a new thread is started where the poster has clearly not even looked for previous threads on the subject or used the search to find out - 'ballasting' being one such subject where there are numerous threads covering every method already ;)

Paul

bluedepot

lol

I started this thread originally

the 73 that buzzed on corners I think was poorly converted to dcc and the body wasn't quite fitted right.

I sold the old poole built duchess of hamilton. it did not perform at slow speeds and derailed quite often.

short circuits are a lot rarer now and its nearly always wheel back to backs that abuse them. I have a gauge to adjust them now when this happens.

my layout runs ok now. feeds supply nearly every piece of track to the bus  poi

nts are all large or medium electrofrogs. in the scenic sections they have frog polarity switching. I clean the track a lot with ipa and use tomix cleaning car as well.

Tim

Geoff

Quote from: NeMo on June 29, 2014, 04:36:11 PM
Quote from: scotrail on June 29, 2014, 04:14:49 PM

Never really understood the problem with resurrecting old threads. The internet isn't a book; it doesn't need to be read from front to back. And besides, if adding new information to one thread means visitors don't have to search for two, three or more separate threads on the same topic, so much the better!

Cheers, NeMo

NeMo I totally agree with you, plus have you ever thought that anyone starting a thread on a subject that has already been covered might just want a chat, there is a lot of lonely people out there who just like to have a natter.  ;)
Geoff

Agrippa

Lost track of this topic about 5 light years ago ! :sleep:
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations