Pre orders

Started by Newportnobby, July 30, 2016, 10:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

It still never fails to amaze me Farish have never opted for a re tooled Stanier 8F as being one of the largest classes of steam locos on the system at the time, especially as the majority of those who voted in the 'era' poll on this forum stated they model the transition era (although there weren't many votes cast)
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29164.msg325634#msg325634

red_death

Quote from: trkilliman on August 04, 2016, 02:54:09 PM
I do wonder how much research is put into what models people would like.

IIRC, TPO coaches and stowage vans came out top of a poll/s, yet there are no plans that I am aware of for anyone to produce them.

With 6,000 members I do wonder if it would be possible to have 2 or three RTR exclusive N.G.S. projects of different eras under development at the same time. Would this be feasible, or would the workload be too much for what are volunteers?

A lot of thought is put into what models to produce!

Farish have already done a TPO. IIRC Bachmann are doing a stowage van in OO so it may only be a matter of patience for that.

Within reason it isn't the number of projects that the NGS could have underway (we often have at least 2 at different stages at once plus kits) but:
- you still need to have a convincing plan to sell the best part of 2000-3000 (for rolling stock)
- compelling ideas and enough information on the model
- a customer base able to fork out to buy the models at the time (otherwise the NGS ends up sitting on lots of stock and our Treasurer gets cross!).

The most important part of it all is coming up with ideas that will appeal to enough people....

Cheers, Mike

Karhedron

Quote from: red_death on August 04, 2016, 04:15:05 PM
The most important part of it all is coming up with ideas that will appeal to enough people....

Indeed, I don't envy you that challenge. After getting involved in the K41 research, I started scratching my head for ideas for the next project and found is surprisingly difficult. I had no trouble coming up with possibilities but I always seemed to get stuck on the "how many people will buy this" step. Brake vehicles seem a well-filled niche now. Pre-nationalisation Catering vehicles are very thin on the ground but not likely to sell so well as they tended to be shorter lived and you usually only had no more than 1 of each type per train.

A gap in the market does not necessarily mean there is a market in the gap. ;)
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

PLD

Quote from: Karhedron on August 04, 2016, 02:08:35 PM
I had hoped that Farish would scale down the 00 City of Truro.

Perhaps there is an opportunity for RevolutioN to work with Farish on City?
The spanner in the works for Bachmann / Farish doing City of Truro is that the 00 model was in cooperation with the National Railway Museum. There may be IP or  commercial rights issues to overcome or a time period to expire before it can be done. As I understand it, Bachmann can release it with other identities in their regular 00 range but can not re-run as CoT for a number of years...

johnlambert

Quote from: trkilliman on August 04, 2016, 02:54:09 PM
Firstly I am the first to acknowledge that we all have our wish lists.

I do wonder how much research is put into what models people would like. It may come down to what you say Matt, which locos are likely to sell more than one to each customer.

I think it comes down to exactly that.  Why tool up for something that 3-6,000 N gauge modelers will buy one of when you can pick something that people can buy in multiples?  I don't know enough about City of Truro to know if it could be spun off into other models (I'd have thought so).

I suspect it will be a long wait for any GWR 4-4-0 locos as I think all engines of that format were withdrawn by the mid-1950s and none ever carried the later British Railways crest, which might limit the size of the market.

There are still a few obvious gaps in the market for UK outline steam engines.  The two obvious ones to me are the ex-LMS 8F 2-8-0 and the GWR Large Prarie Tanks.  I don't know enough about Southern or LNER to know what's missing there but I get the impression that Southern is a large and untapped potential market (or maybe Southern fans are just more noisy - only kidding, folks).

I'm sure the manufacturers will find ways to part us from our money.  Whether that's new variants of existing tooling. Further refined versions of current releases.  Or even new models that no-one's made before.  It would be nice if there were also a way to shorten the lead time between announcement and delivery, but I wouldn't bank on that happening any time soon.

Dorsetmike

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Newportnobby

Quote from: Dorsetmike on August 05, 2016, 02:12:56 PM
Still some Farish 8Fs on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Farish-372-154-BR-Class-8F-48750-BR-Black-Early-Crest-/201621961610?hash=item2ef19afb8a:m:m_Uj4CcaTbHqqm0486zcvbA

I didn't realise they stopped making them, perhaps they are retooling?

There has never been a squeak out of Bachmann Farish about a retooled 8F despite me sending them the results of our wish list 3 years ago in which it featured well.
Just imagine an 8F with a level of detail to match the Fairburn or the Duchess with a motor that allows wonderful slow controlled running (although my 5 pole version is not bad) :drool: :drool: :drool:
I'm getting all unnecessary so had better stop :-[

Les1952

Given that the WD isn't exactly Farish's best selling loco I would be surprised to see a retooled 8F to take sales from it, at least in the short term (though I may be wrong).

Colin at UM did say a few years ago that he keeps his business below the VAT threshold, so I'm not sure that collaboration with ANYBODY would fit in with his business model.  I would also go with the view that outside cranks may be further than Colin would wish to go, but I could be wrong on that one also.

Just a couple of thoughts
Les
with nothing on pre-order in N that is likely turn up in the next twelve months......

daveg

Farish Castle:

Just had an email from Hattons about my pre-order. I'm sure lots of folk have had a similar message but in case you didn't:

Graham Farish 372-030 Class 4073 Castle 4-6-0 5044 'Earl of Dunraven' in GWR lined green £118.96

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us between February 2017 & March 2017

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed.

Dave G

austinbob

Quote from: daveg on August 08, 2016, 05:32:49 PM
Farish Castle:

Just had an email from Hattons about my pre-order. I'm sure lots of folk have had a similar message but in case you didn't:

Graham Farish 372-030 Class 4073 Castle 4-6-0 5044 'Earl of Dunraven' in GWR lined green £118.96

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us between February 2017 & March 2017

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed.

Dave G
A bit more time to save up then...
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Newportnobby

Who else thinks the price will have risen before then? :hmmm:

daveg

Quote from: newportnobby on August 08, 2016, 09:22:41 PM

Order placed March 2013 @ £102.

So that'll be me, then  :doh:!

Dave G

Newportnobby

Quote from: daveg on August 08, 2016, 09:38:29 PM

Order placed March 2013 @ £102.

So that'll be me, then  :doh:!

Dave G

When I placed my order 12.3.13 the price was £110.46 which rose 17.3.16 to £118.96 so they're bound to go up again :worried:

In the meantime Rails have now got the l/crest 64xx pannier in so I should see mine end of this week maybe. They also have the new 4MT tanks in but I haven't ordered one of those, being quite happy with my older one rather than spend another £102

Kris

Price to rise sometime in January to fit in with the Bachmann new product release info. A good time to hide bad news.

daveg

Severely tempted but only briefly with those two, Mick. The pair would come out at around £180.

I've resisted so far. Trying to convince meself that with the 3 locos I still have on order, that'll be enough.

Farish Castle
Dapol/GM Class 73 Pullman
DJM Class 23 Baby Deltic

Dave G

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations