Track trimming

Started by PeeWee, November 27, 2011, 10:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeeWee

Hi,

I'll be attempting my first layout soon and have got plenty of flexitrack to use and was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on how to do this properly and what tools to use.

Tank

davieb

i use a dremmel type drill with a thin grinding/cutoff disc

but please remember using this method WEAR EYE PROTECTION as i have had more than one disc shatter  :o

it does give a very clean cut once you get the hang of it

dave  :thumbsup:

Dock Shunter

I would recommend Xuron track cutters also. :thumbsup:
They may seem a little expensive but worth every penny.
A word of warning though.....don't ever use them for anything other than for cutting track....

polo2k

Never used xuron cutters, I use a mixture of dremel, side cutters and sometimes nail clippers! With the nail clippers I usually mark the rail with them and then bend it back and forth till it breaks at the weak spot.

They are also useful is you have layed a length of flexi track from a point and then curved it, if the outer rail pulls back and you need to drag it back through the sleeper chairs this is a cracker, the marks can be burnished off the rail later
Cheers
-Ash-

The only way to guarantee failure, is not to try

Mustermark

Quote from: Tank on November 27, 2011, 10:55:55 PM
Xuron cutters are most people's favourites, and something I've used for years. :thumbsup:

I just laid about 200ft of flexitrack and 90 points over just a few weekends using the Xuron track cutters.  Very easy to use and precise. :thumbsup:  I am really happy with the joins and very happy how quick it was to get done.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Bikeracer

I used a Dremel and a file for the burrs when I built my first small layout,but I've bought a Xuron cutter ready for my next track laying.If you use a Dremel get the fibre reinforcrd cutting discs,they don't shatter.

There are two types of Xuron cutters,the most popular seem to be the side cutters,but I bought the top cutters so I can trim track in situ.

I haven't had chance to try them yet,so can't comment on what they cut like.

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

longbridge

I always use a Dremmel tool with a thin cutting disc, perfect for grinding the ends of the rail to get the ends dead square and identical length.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

PeeWee

Thanks for all the advice guys :)

guest311

[/quote]

I just laid about 200ft of flexitrack and 90 points over just a few weekends using the Xuron track cutters.  Very easy to use and precise. :thumbsup:  I am really happy with the joins and very happy how quick it was to get done.
[/quote]

do you use the side cutters or top cutters ?

OwL

I use a Gerber multi tool, then file the track cut after wards. This gives a very neat finish.

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Fratton

my two pence worth is go with the zuron cutters, i have the top down ones and they have been invaluble...
Charlie.

Oldman

Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Mustermark

Quote from: class37025 on November 28, 2011, 10:38:48 AM
Quote from: Mustermark on November 28, 2011, 12:12:54 AM

do you use the side cutters or top cutters ?

I'm pretty sure I have the top down ones but I have found they are just fine in either direction. A side cut might mean you need to file the under the end of the rail a bit to ease fishplate insertion.

I found that when you're in a tight spot that it's easier to do a side cut and that the rail might twist with a top cut if you are a bit clumsy (like me). So if I chose again I might buy the side cutters.

Even saying all that it was so easy to do: snip, file and join. Best part of the whole process for me so far.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Newportnobby

Quote from: PeeWee on November 27, 2011, 10:50:26 PM
Hi,

I'll be attempting my first layout soon and have got plenty of flexitrack to use and was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on how to do this properly and what tools to use.

Hi Peewee - see if you can find a December 2011 copy of Railway Modeller c/w free DVD.
There's a pretty good tutorial on the DVD about laying/cutting flexitrack. Like me, they use Xuron cutters.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations