The ratio foot bridge

Started by Matthew-peter, November 11, 2012, 05:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martink

You're right - we do seem to be talking about the two different kits.  Matthew-peter's original question appears to be about the covered/lattice footbridge, which is the only one I have built.  The span here is 106mm between the pillars, or 83mm across the full-height span (using the wider 6-panel option).  The height is 22mm to the underside of the main span, or 21mm counting the smoke deflectors - this makes it suitable for platform mounting only.  I placed mine over 9" and 10.5" curves with extra-wide gaps to the platforms, so it would be quite suitable for three tracks under more normal conditions.

As for kit bashing, it has been a couple of years since I built the beast, but I wouldn't think it to be too hard.  The key is the vertical (roof-support) pillars between each lattice panel - these would keep things under control as long as you stick to an integral number of panels.  Stretching the main span could be done by joining two 5-panel floor units instead of the supplied 5+1 (though this would either need three kits or doing the floor yourself), or building it as 1+5+1 to keep it down to two kits (if a 96mm/119mm /====\ span would be enough for your four tracks), though the result might look a bit spindly.  The model is certainly robust enough, even without the roof, so there are no concerns that way.  The third stairway should also be easy, since it really just comes down to leaving off one lattice end-panel from the landing.  A final caveat - I am working from memory here, but it does sound doable.

upnick

Quote from: Chetcombe on November 12, 2012, 01:08:36 AM
Ok so I'm confused. It looks like there may be two different kits being referenced here. A concrete slab one and the (much more attractive) lattice one shown in Martink's photo (footbridge looks really great in this pic btw).

I am a bit concerned by tales of this being a challenging kit. I was planning to try and kitbash a couple of these Ratio concrete ones to produce a version with 3 staircases spanning over both a double track as well as over 4 tracks. Hmmm maybe a rethink is in order - any suggestions?

Mike

Hi  Mike, 

My reply #5   gives dimensions /drawing for Ratio's  222 concrete footbridge asit comes for two tracks  from  just to clarify things  ;)

oscar

Quote from: upnick on November 11, 2012, 10:37:49 PM
Quote from: oscar on November 11, 2012, 09:46:42 PM
Quote from: scotsoft on November 11, 2012, 08:43:09 PM
Quote from: oscar on November 11, 2012, 08:10:52 PM
Wot's this furrin language? mm?  :laugh:

We're British, not French!

It's these young uns, they have been metricated instead of imperialised  :D

cheers John.

Aye, the EU has a strong hold on the youngsters!  :veryangry:

EU  or being  that bit younger has nothing to do with MM   :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:  just that bit easier .accurate than  inches    :P  :laugh: :laugh: :smiley-laughing:

Oh, I see.

Laziness!  :(  ;)

As for accurate, what's a mm more or less? Nothing in everyday life!  :unimpressed:

Newportnobby

Ah - but in N gauge a mm = 6 inches.
Size can be everything ;)

EtchedPixels

The concrete one is a model of the Southern Railway style footbridges and very easy to build. As it drops at the ends it would be fairly tricky to hack into a longer bridge though. It's a nice model.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Bikeracer

Quote from: scotsoft on November 11, 2012, 08:43:09 PM

It's these young uns, they have been metricated instead of imperialised  :D

cheers John.

I thought that was only a necessity if are of a certain faith.....or have I got the wrong word. :D

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

Matthew-peter

Quote from: upnick on November 11, 2012, 07:11:39 PM
Hi  Matthew Peter,   

Did a drawing in paint  & MM  for you   ;) if it's the 222   bridge your looking at building http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=RO222&style=main&strType=&Mcode=Ratio%20222

best adhesive for plastic kits is  liquid plasticweld  dont give me any bother at all     ;)

It is in fact a different bridge to that linked, however the other day I bought a bottle of plastic weld for my wargames minis and the layout, looks like  I made the right choice haha

OK who took my cake?

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations