Baseboard/Frame over a single bed

Started by port perran, November 11, 2015, 06:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

port perran

I'm now starting to think about starting the replacement for my old layout Port Perran .
I need to build a new Port Perran which will link easily to my existing Trepol Bay layout.
Carpentry/woodwork is definitely something that doesn't come easily to me at all so I'm looking for ideas here.
The new layout needs to sit above a single bed so can be roughly 3ft wide and maybe 7ft long.
It needs to be light, sit on legs (or something else) which can straddle the single bed and it needs to be easy to take down and store when we have visitors.
Trepol Bay operates at a height of about 3ft 6 ins off the ground so the new layout will need to be that height.
Any bright ideas out there ?
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

PeterA

You could hinge it from the wall...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT4KtCldPes

Although the 3ft 6" may cause problems working on the back of the baseboard... Unless you made it easy to unhinge when required?

I take it adjusting the height of the existing layout isn't an option?

Newportnobby

Quote from: PeterA on November 11, 2015, 06:43:06 PM
You could hinge it from the wall...

Love the music but I don't like the idea as shown in the vid :no:
What happens to scenery and buildings when the layout is hinged upwards? :worried:

The only thing I can suggest to Martin is to have the baseboard on a pulley system to take it up to a height which enables the bed to be used for its proper function. If hinged legs were built into the bottom of the baseboard they could then be used when the layout is in the 'down' position :hmmm:
I don't think there's an easy way round this problem.

PeterA

Quote from: newportnobby on November 11, 2015, 08:29:01 PM

What happens to scenery and buildings when the layout is hinged upwards? :worried:

I plan on having everything glued/fixed in position...  ;)

Glad you liked the music!  :thumbsup:

Newportnobby

Quote from: PeterA on November 11, 2015, 08:40:04 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on November 11, 2015, 08:29:01 PM

I plan on having everything glued/fixed in position...  ;)

That's my point, though, Peter. The layout appears very flush to the wall so any buildings etc would get flattened :worried:

PeterA

Quote from: newportnobby on November 11, 2015, 08:47:17 PM
That's my point, though, Peter. The layout appears very flush to the wall so any buildings etc would get flattened :worried:

Ah, Probably not easy to see from the pics in the slideshow... It's spaced out from the wall by 3.75"

The Plywood on the back and sides is 3.5" high, this will be shaped etc when the scenery is done!  :thumbsup:

No flattened scenery or buildings!  :beers:

port perran

I've been to our local N gauge club meeting this evening and problem solved....I think.
One of the other members had a similar problem and by pure chance he brought his layout along.
His layout has removable legs which slot into  wooden sleeves. Very simple but it works beautifully so that the layout lifts off and slides under the bed when it needs to be stored.
My explanation doesn't make it clear but when I build my version, I'll post some photos of the baseboard with its legs before I lay any track.

PeterA

Quote from: port perran on November 11, 2015, 09:00:39 PM
I've been to our local N gauge club meeting this evening and problem solved....I think.
One of the other members had a similar problem and by pure chance he brought his layout along.
His layout has removable legs which slot into  wooden sleeves. Very simple but it works beautifully so that the layout lifts off and slides under the bed when it needs to be stored.
My explanation doesn't make it clear but when I build my version, I'll post some photos of the baseboard with its legs before I lay any track.

Glad you've found a solution... Look forward to seeing it develop!  :thumbsup:

port perran

Quote from: PeterA on November 11, 2015, 09:05:49 PM
Quote from: port perran on November 11, 2015, 09:00:39 PM
Glad you've found a solution... Look forward to seeing it develop!  :thumbsup:
Thanks . Yes, I'll post some pictures. Probably be a job for after Christmas though. It's all still in the planning stage (in my head) at the moment.

cornish yorkie

:hellosign: Martin glad you found a solution, look forward to developments.
regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

daveg

Chris in Prague I think uses a similar storage idea.

Watch out for the interference by the bed legs if that's a single! They may restrict both the width and length of your baseboard.

I've always had a yearning for the space to have a double bed size layout that I could walk all the way around!

Good luck with the new project and look forward to your progress reports.

Dave G

port perran

Yes, I've thought about the bed legs. Should present no problems I think. Anyway, progress should start in the next few weeks.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations