Etched Pixels/Ultima new items for 2014

Started by EtchedPixels, September 07, 2013, 11:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moogle

:thankyousign: Alan.
I think there might be a few Irish 6 wheelers that will suit that.  :thumbsup:
:hmmm: Book consulting time...  :)
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

EtchedPixels

Quote from: moogle on September 09, 2013, 05:47:17 PM

There are a collection of them that use the same chassis as I understand it (barring the gauge) an indeed basically the same body too. The DN&GR and in turn the GNR had a batch built at Wolverton in 1901. I gather one of them is in the museum in Ulster somewhere but more I know not.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

petercharlesfagg

As a complete ignoramus can somebody point me in the general direction of some images?

I have no idea what the items are!

Regards, Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

Irish Padre

:thankyousign:
Quote from: EtchedPixels on September 09, 2013, 05:57:10 PM
Quote from: moogle on September 09, 2013, 05:47:17 PM

There are a collection of them that use the same chassis as I understand it (barring the gauge) an indeed basically the same body too. The DN&GR and in turn the GNR had a batch built at Wolverton in 1901. I gather one of them is in the museum in Ulster somewhere but more I know not.

Yes, it's the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum in Belfast. Well worth a look - a fine selection of Irish broad and narrow gauge stock. I say broad but of course to us 5'3" is simply standard gauge!
There are also a few 6 wheel coaches in the collections of the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland and the Downpatrick Steam Railway

Chris in Prague

The GWR shunters truck would certainly be interesting if its the type that lasted into the 1960s?

Any chance of a Devon Belle observation car in Pullman livery?

Chinahand

Lots of lovely GWR stuff there Alan so I will definitely be watching out for future production updates.
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)
[smg id=2316]

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Chris in Prague on September 15, 2013, 09:30:10 AM
The GWR shunters truck would certainly be interesting if its the type that lasted into the 1960s?

Yes (well its generic). The real ones came in several batches with quite complex underframe and brake differences. There is a superb Masterclass Models etched kit for those who care. I plan to simply do the body for the Peco chassis and the two typical handrail variants (straight and bent)

Any chance of a Devon Belle observation car in Pullman livery?

Not on my plans. I think you could probably scratch build a reasonable version given the very angular shape. Build a shell out of clear plastic sheet and then vinyl the livery.

I'd be tempted to start with one of the old clear 101 DMU shells I think. They are pretty angular but maybe a little too short.

It would actually be very hard to do as an etched or 3D printed kit because of the sheer amount of open space only supported by the glazing.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Chris in Prague

Thanks for the reply, Etched Pixels. So, I'll put the GWR shunters truck on my to-buy-list.

Thank you too for the reply re: the Devon Belle observation car. I understand; that makes perfect sense. Could you, though, make the vinyl transfers? (I'm not familiar with this technology.)

EtchedPixels

Probably - although with the thin edge something like the new style vinyls Electra Railway Graphics do would probably be much easier to get right and apply - worth asking Adam once you've got a set of sizes perhaps ?

Chris in Prague

Thanks for your quick reply. Constructing a Devon Belle observation car is a medium-term project so I'll leave it, for now.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: MikeDunn on September 07, 2013, 05:15:53 PM
Ouch :(  That's a lot more than I'm paying for my brass OO set I'm constructing ... near on double :(

Some progress here. Kevin Knight on the yahoo group notes that you can get the body or body/underframes in 2mm from Bill Bedford as a special order. He may well do N as well if you ask nicely.

Price for body/underframe is £57 for each 3 car set, and £39 for the FK/BFK pair. You'll still need to find/build all the other bits but its probably a better starting point.

Chinahand

Do you have any time frame for production yet Alan so that I can start saving the pennies ?

The ones I'm particularly interested in are the GWR M11 70ft stowage van, the GWR K38 57ft 'Ocean Mails' van, the GWR Clerestory Stock and, of course, the GWR shunters truck.
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)
[smg id=2316]

MikeDunn

Quote from: EtchedPixels on September 16, 2013, 01:59:10 PM
Some progress here. Kevin Knight on the yahoo group notes that you can get the body or body/underframes in 2mm from Bill Bedford as a special order. He may well do N as well if you ask nicely.
Cheers - I have some of his kits, but didn't realise he did suitable underframes :)

EtchedPixels

I'd hope early in the year or maybe Christmas this year for the shunters truck and maybe the M11, early 2014 for the K38. Clerestory stock late 2014 - much to do on that front yet.

It's hard to be sure. It doesn't take much to shift it a couple of months in either direction.

Alan

Chinahand

Thanks Alan. Sounds as though it's time to start dropping Christmas prezzie hints to SWMBO.  ::)
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)
[smg id=2316]

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations