Modelling weather and seasons

Started by Sprintex, April 15, 2013, 10:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sprintex

I was fascinated by the Editorial in the latest NGS Journal regarding seasons and weather in Layout building, as it's something I've been giving a lot of thought to recently even before the article appeared. Spooky!  :uneasy:

Looking at pictures of people's layouts and going to exhibitions it does seem that nearly all layouts are spring/summer orientated with dry weather, yet the British are always complaining about the rain! ::) There is the occasional snowy layout but what about a distinctly autumnal scene with lots of reds/browns/yellows? Or maybe a winter scene WITHOUT snow, but very frosty like 'Kinmundy' on my Ally Pally video? Is it just a case of modelling the "ideal" or does it just not get consideration when deciding on scenery? :hmmm:

So, has anyone here actively modelled a particular season or weather-scenario away from the dry summer or snowy winter and what differences did you incorporate into the scenery to emphasise it?

I'm not expecting a big response to this, but you never know . . . ;)

Paul

bluedepot

you can get some nice autumn trees, and winter is easy just no leaves on trees...

like most people i suspect, i have not consciously selected any season, and so i just go for all sorts of greens, and so it ends up looking vaguely summer / spring like...

it would have been sensible to select a season and then decide of shades of green, types of trees etc. first....

tim

porkie

I did plan for my layout to be set in autum, but not a great choice of trees or bushes out their ready to plant..
:Class89:

My Layout build thread.... Milton grove TMD 1988 - 2000 WCML loosly based
www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57.0

Sprintex

One thing I have noticed is N gauge people - apart from those in uniform the casual ones all seem to be dressed in brightly coloured light summer clothing. Where are the people in long coats, hats, people with umbrellas or in wellies?  :confused2:

Paul

Bealman

The Americans seem to be into autumn modelling (or should I say, "fall") modelling a lot more than their UK counterparts. If you look through American modelling magazines you come across quite a number of autumn-themed layouts. This probably has something to do with the fact that the lines of the New England area of the US are very scenic and therefore a very popular modelling subject.

Of course, the area is well known and loved for it's magnificent autumn colours. I spent a week in Vermont during 'leaf peepers' season a few years ago, and all I can say is that it is truly spectacular. I can understand why people would model it. The landscape was truly beautiful at that time.

As for little figures with raincoats, etc on, when I first started modelling in 00 as a kid I had a great set of Airfix figures that had a couple of blokes in a duffle coat, trenchcoat, and a sheepskin jacket, as I recall.

As for wellies.... I'd be careful there. We've got a few Kiwis on this forum and they tend to get a bit touchy when you mention wellies  :D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

daveg

Years ago I used lichen in autumn colours on my first N gauge layout. The effect was OK from a distance but closer up it looked rather overscale.

I see that WS do a range of 'Fall' colours but finding a supplier that stocks them all may be a challenge. MRD do list one though. Hopefully they would order in on request.

Maybe I'll give it a go so I can mix the evergreen type trees and shrubs with some autumnal colours on the trees.

Dave G

Mustermark

I have been planning to do late summer / early autumn on my layout. I found some really nice autumnal trees by JTT, but i also think the whole thing in brown and orange would be a bit bright and a bit samey.  So much of it will be dark green with a few trees on the turn to give it variety.

Autumn is my favourite season.  So, yes, I think we like to represent an ideal on our models. I am not sure N gauge rain is doable, but I plan to make puddles on the roads and carparks etc like it has been raining, but my backdrop is suitably sunny and I like to think it has turned out nice after the rain earlier in the morning.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Mustermark on April 16, 2013, 12:26:37 PM
I am not sure N gauge rain is doable, but I plan to make puddles on the roads and carparks etc like it has been raining, but my backdrop is suitably sunny and I like to think it has turned out nice after the rain earlier in the morning.

Nice idea, Mark :thumbsup:
Maybe some gloss varnish on rooves to suggest they're still wet, but how are you going to create the steam rising from them from the sun on wet tiles ???

Sprintex

Aha, not just me then ;)

I personally can't stand hot sunny weather, give me a grey overcast day with a bit of rain and I'm happy :D So I didn't really want to model what I don't like, plus I thought modelling something different would make the layout stand out a bit at exhibitions.

I have some good photos to use as a dismal grey backdrop, and puddles, shiny rooves and wet cars will also feature. Yesterday I wrapped the fluorescent tubes that light the layout in car window tinting film to give a pleasing "dull day" effect and I'm choosing darker shades of flock as vegetation appears darker when it's wet. Still stumped with the people though :worried: Have managed to scratch build some N gauge umbrellas (really!) but I may have to have a go at tailoring some raincoats too! :goggleeyes:

Paul

scotsoft

Quote from: Sprintex on April 16, 2013, 01:49:26 PM
but I may have to have a go at tailoring some raincoats too! :goggleeyes:

Paul

Ah, the good old fashioned flasher brigade  :smiley-laughing:  :smiley-laughing:  :smiley-laughing:

daveg

Sprintex

Quote from: scotsoft on April 16, 2013, 01:58:17 PM

Paul

Ah, the good old fashioned flasher brigade  :smiley-laughing:  :smiley-laughing:  :smiley-laughing:

Now there's an idea for a cameo! >:D

Paul

James C

Quote from: Sprintex on April 16, 2013, 02:06:03 PM
Quote from: scotsoft on April 16, 2013, 01:58:17 PM

Paul

Now there's an idea for a cameo! >:D

Paul

Well Noch do make the range of "compromising position" figures in N gauge!

Newportnobby

I have already decided to paint my own backscenes in a typical English sky of various shades of grey (not got 50 yet) and have purchased a few matchpots for trialling dabbing and ragging etc.
These are methods taught to me by Linda Barker (yeah - in my dreams :drool:) when I used to watch some makeover programme many moons ago ::)

Jack

Making typical Cornish weather is a bit tricky, I haven't worked out how to make the rain safe yet. Water and electricity done mix too good, or so I'm told!  :laugh:
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations