Reactivating Locos

Started by REGP, March 13, 2015, 07:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REGP

Quite a few of my locos, mainly Dapol & Farish steamers haven't been run for a couple of years as I didn't have layout or a permanent test track.

They had all been run in having been oiled if recommended and stored in the original boxes, they can all be run on DC or DCC.

Tried to run a pannier the other day and it didn't want to budge. ???

Now can anyone kind sole out there advise me of what sort of TLC will they need before I can start trying them out on the test track I am putting together.

Ray

EtchedPixels

The usual problem is Farish locos which have crap gears that split a lot.

In general though I would suggest

- inspect for any damage
- apply gentle power and see if it runs, then slowly turn it up and check it isn't running hot

if it runs a bit then jams or runs with a click-click sound suspect the gears
If it buzzes and won't run turn the power back off and check the gears, but also look check if the motor is stiff or there is hair or grit in it.

If you don't get any response of any kind then you probably have to take a voltmeter to it and carefully trace what is going on. It's unusual that a stored loco develops electrical faults.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

REGP

Thanks EP

Hopefully I'll be able to give that Dapol pannier some attention over the weekend and see what happens.

Ray

PLD

What were they 'oiled' with?

some lubricants can set if left to stand for any length of time effectively glueing up the works... The white grease Bachmann use in some models and Dapol used at one time is particularly notorious for this. The only solution is to strip and clean the loco...

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations