Hornby-Arnold Announcements..... When?

Started by JeremiahJBunyan, March 13, 2015, 11:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeremiahJBunyan

Hey,

Any idea when Hornby-Arnold will be making their N gauge announcements for 2015?

Karhedron

:laughabovepost:

Short answer is no. Hornby have not even confirmed if they will be making an announcement, never mind when.

The Ally Pally show is at the end of the month. This is a big event which is sometimes used by manufacturers to make announcements. That does not mean Hornby will do so, merely that it is the next plausible occasion.

I heard they were planning an announcement at Nuremburg at the end of January but nothing came of that. Take any rumours with a big pinch of salt unless they are directly from Hornby themselves.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

ahodgett

I heard the Brighton Belle had really sold well and beaten all hornby's expectations, hence there would be another model announced this year 2015. Yet! It was on special offer recently for 40% off from Hornby themselves and some retailers are now stocking them at normal price. so did it really sell that well??

Arthur

MikeDunn

Quote from: ahodgett on March 13, 2015, 01:02:53 PM
It was on special offer recently for 40% off from Hornby themselves and some retailers are now stocking them at normal price. so did it really sell that well??
Except ... was it ?  Everyone who tried to buy from Hornby at £119.99 got charged £199.99, and the only discount seems to have been £50 buying both versions at the same time ... so £50 off £400 - hardly 40%  :no:

As to being in the retail channel - again, is it ?  Yes, places like Locomotion have had them (and at the £119.99 mark  :thumbsup:), but others have it at the full price ...  I did a bit of hunting and it seems only Hornby concessions are selling the BB ... so not in the retail channel.  To us it's a very fine distinction (do we even care ?), but it seems to be a large one for the shops ...

I'm of the opinion that at full price it sold less well than expected - hence the attempts at the price reduction.  And looking at the way they flew off the shelves at Locomotion, that price was a steal  :thumbsup:.  So the real price should be somewhere between - £160 anyone ?

But that's my opinion  ::)  :P

Mike

red_death

Hornby have expressed that they were pleased with initial sales - that is not in doubt.

My suspicion is that subsequent discounting is more to clear last remaining stock as Hornby seem very keen to ensure good cashflow and reduce stock holdings (not a stupid strategy at all in my book).

Cheers, Mike

ScottyStitch

Quote from: MikeDunn on March 13, 2015, 01:15:29 PM
Quote from: ahodgett on March 13, 2015, 01:02:53 PM
It was on special offer recently for 40% off from Hornby themselves and some retailers are now stocking them at normal price. so did it really sell that well??
Except ... was it ?  Everyone who tried to buy from Hornby at £119.99 got charged £199.99, and the only discount seems to have been £50 buying both versions at the same time ... so £50 off £400 - hardly 40%  :no:

As to being in the retail channel - again, is it ?  Yes, places like Locomotion have had them (and at the £119.99 mark  :thumbsup:), but others have it at the full price ...  I did a bit of hunting and it seems only Hornby concessions are selling the BB ... so not in the retail channel.  To us it's a very fine distinction (do we even care ?), but it seems to be a large one for the shops ...

I'm of the opinion that at full price it sold less well than expected - hence the attempts at the price reduction.  And looking at the way they flew off the shelves at Locomotion, that price was a steal  :thumbsup:.  So the real price should be somewhere between - £160 anyone ?

But that's my opinion  ::)  :P

Mike

Rails of Sheffield sent an email out today. They are selling the Blue/Grey BB for £199.99.

https://railsofsheffield.com/search/filtered-search-results?query=brighton+belle&search_button=Search&manufacturer=Hornby

MikeDunn

Quote from: red_death on March 13, 2015, 01:29:00 PM
Hornby have expressed that they were pleased with initial sales - that is not in doubt.

Never said that what Hornby said was in doubt ...  Sometimes, what I say with my professional hat on isn't what my opinion is internally in the company !!!  :no:

Have you ever seen a company spokesman say anything that wasn't a positive spin ?   ::)

Karhedron

Bachmann and Dapol have both been willing to say they were disappointed with electric sales. Peco have said that they are not making any further locos after the sales of the 2251s.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

MikeDunn

I think that "were disappointed" would be a whole pile of spin on bad news !  Wouldn't be surprised if the poor fella who said "hey, wouldn't a sparkie do well ?" was hung out to dry :(

Karhedron

I think Dave Jones decided to set up DJM because he wanted to be master of his own destiny.  ;)

MikeDunn

You just made me laugh out loud - I never had him in mind at all !!!  I was thinking generally, not specifically :)  But I can see how my phrasing could be taken that way !!!

Oops !!!!  ::)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations