Hornby looking for ideas for more British N

Started by Michael Shillabeer, February 20, 2015, 06:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Shillabeer

Hello

As well as offering £50 off of two Brighton Belles the promotional email from Hornby says "Plans are already underway for the next additions to our Arnold British N gauge range. We would love to know what you think we should be making, tell us here on the Hornby Forum"

http://www.hornby.com/forum/n-gauge-wishlist

Best regards
Michael

Dorsetmike

Signed up and made a list of Steam locos, one that sprang to mind was the B4 dock tank, the Peco/Wills kit is long gone, that fitted an Arnold chassis so that might be an easy starter.

Just had a quick glance through the Arnold range, that 0-4-0T does not seem to be around now, in fact not much choice of steam either, 4-6-2, 2-8-2, 4-8-2, 2-8-0 and 2-10-0, or 0-6-0T, among the latter was the USA tank as used by the SR post WW2, however that is probably 1:160 plus it's too late for my period - 1930s

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

OwL

They could beat Dapol and GraFar by being the first to make a RtR Class 92 Electric loco.
A Class 172 DMU would be a good modern scene addition.

For steam era how about a decent 8F model? Very popular  loco and could do with an update in the model world.

Whatever they do it's good to see investment in the British an Gauge market.

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

scruff

I think it will have to be something iconic,
Maybe one of the LMS/LNER streamlined trains, APT-P?
Adelante or Trans Pennine Desiro.
Possibly a running mate for the Brighton belle?
Just my guesses but whatever turns up it can only be good for N Gauge as a whole.
Cheers
Mark

Bob Tidbury

I was going to suggest the APT but then thought if Rapido Trains are doing it in 00 and the Pendolino is the success I hope it will be they might downsize it to N I would persuade the Family to get me one .
That would be fantastic.
Bob

jivebunny

I'd echo the comments that whatever they decide to do will be good for N gauge, and it's a sign that their first venture into the scale has gone well enough for them to want to continue. It's nice to see Hornby engaging with "us lot" to see what we want, rather than just deciding for us. Their occasional presence on this very forum would be even nicer, in order to get a proper discussion going like we used to have with Dapol before Dave left, and like Rapido have with their customers. The fact that many of us grew up with Hornby probably means the brand loyalty is already there, I don't think they'd have much trouble becoming a big player in N.

The aforementioned Adelante would probably be a good seller. It has "impulse buy" potential as it looks sleek, it's been seen in multiple liveries and geographical areas, is only five cars long so would be suitable for all but the smallest of layouts, yet those with more space could also run them in multiple as happens on occasion (morning Oxford services quite a few years ago IIRC?)

My own suggestion would be the Class 142, which I suppose is iconic in its own little way. Hornby already have their own blueprints for them, they've covered vast parts of the country, have been around for 30 years in dozens of liveries, often run in multiple and are so short that fitting a number of them onto a layout doesn't take much space. I'd immediately buy four of them, possibly more.

Beating Dapol to a release probably wouldn't be a massive challenge.

JB

austinbob

I am very encouraged by Hornby's interest in N gauge. As others have eluded to - I don't think it matters too much what they produce. The important thing is there is another player in the market which adds to the competition and hopefully will widen the range of products available and hopefully improve the quality and reliability. I, for one, am not looking for price reductions but better quality, reliability and variety.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Gnep

I think that they could do a lot worse than a really nicely packaged complete "Rocket" train. Clearly a challenge to engineer, but with modern tiny pager motors available, more feasible than it's ever been. That or a Stirling Single...

austinbob

Quote from: Gnep on February 20, 2015, 09:45:16 PM
I think that they could do a lot worse than a really nicely packaged complete "Rocket" train. Clearly a challenge to engineer, but with modern tiny pager motors available, more feasible than it's ever been. That or a Stirling Single...
I think that might be a bit of a niche market - nice all the same!
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

4x2

I've had my say. If you want a particular loco - now's your chance !

Hornby's ears are open....
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Mr chapman

I'd love them to shrink the 2BIL, 2NOL, M7 or king Arthur. Some early southern stock would be most welcome.
HOWEVER...
I think the most sensible choice if I was running things would be an LMS, LNER or GWR loco. The more layouts with Hornby products on the better for future models in our preferred regions. We all need to share to start with :)
Then we can become tribal later  :D
DCC southern modeller

Brooksy

I've put in my tuppence worth. Great news that are looking to increase their N gauge range but looks like it's quite a while away if there only just consulting on it now - hopefully they've got something else up their sleeve for the meantime.

Geoff

This is good news but it would be wicked if Hornby would start a handful of projects that would bring N gauge to the forefront of N Gauge modelling, it would really be good to know how many N Gauge locos are sold a month and no doubt the market is getting larger for Hornby to feel the water, so the more people respond to there requests the more serious they will feel in starting more projects.

Thanks Michael for the link.
Geoff

Zakalwe

something iconic like a pendolino?

oh...wait.....
"I just think people overvalue argument because they like to hear themselves talk."

austinbob

Quote from: Zakalwe on February 20, 2015, 10:05:22 PM
something iconic like a pendolino?

oh...wait.....

Nahh! bring on the steam stuff!!
:beers:

Bob Austin

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations