how time flies

Started by guest311, July 02, 2018, 01:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

last friday and saturday I was detailed by SWMBO to help my son-in-law to lay loft flooring panels in the loft of their new [to them] house.

a quick recce showed that there was fibreglass roll insulation laid [a] between the joists  :thumbsup: and another layer across the joists  :thumbsdown:

so plan was to move the top layer to expose the joists and lay the panels., so i duely turned up with marigolds, respirator, and overalls, determined to obey all elf-n-safety rules.

" nice overalls " s-i-l said
" my old RAF ones " I replied

" so how old are they ?"
" demobbed in '76, so at least 42 years old "

suddenly realised that these had been in use ever since I left the RAF.  still servicable, no holes / tears, I can't help but wonder if they are the oldest set of

"coveralls, mens , aircraft servicing" according to the label, though so faded can't find a date on them.

wonder if todays items will last as long ?

port perran

Excellent durability but did you get the flooring panels laid ok?
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

The Q

My RAF overalls (Demobbed 1988) did not last so long, several years of putting paint and anti fouling on boats made them positively toxic.

RAF woollen socks lasted somewhat longer, there is one original pair left, they are now supplimented by 9 pairs of RAF socks bought new about 5 years ago.

Fardap

My overalls lasted for ages... although a lot of that was down to them no longer fitting that comfortably due to relaxed muscle build up...

guest311

Quote from: port perran on July 02, 2018, 01:22:14 PM
Excellent durability but did you get the flooring panels laid ok?

yes thank you, though when I took off the marigolds, it was like tipping a bucket of water on the floor.

thankfully, my daughter made sure I rehydrated, and not with Watneys Red Brrel  :beers:

guest311

Quote from: The Q on July 02, 2018, 01:48:58 PM
My RAF overalls (Demobbed 1988) did not last so long, several years of putting paint and anti fouling on boats made them positively toxic.

RAF woollen socks lasted somewhat longer, there is one original pair left, they are now supplimented by 9 pairs of RAF socks bought new about 5 years ago.

only a couple of years ago that the last RAF towels were finally binned.  mind you in my day, we had an allowance for clothing, and for quarters barrack stores.

seemed churlish not to spend it each year, so stocks were built up  ::)

guest311

Quote from: Fardap on July 02, 2018, 01:51:55 PM
My overalls lasted for ages... although a lot of that was down to them no longer fitting that comfortably due to relaxed muscle build up...

amazed mine still do, though perhaps having had a series of german shepherds, and now a husky, it may be down to their need for exercise rather than any other reason  :)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations