loco respray

Started by brbluewill, February 20, 2012, 07:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brbluewill

not got the courage to try myself ;D ;D ;D looking for a recommendations for a respray as i have never ventured into this before.thanks in advance :thumbsup:
Where our songs are challenged we shall sing them all the louder!!!!!

Ollie3440

Judging by the excellent work he's done previously it may be worth contacting our one and only Chris. Some of the stuff he's done on his own layout is exquisite!

Ollie
Hi I'm Ollie, and I'm a addicted to buying MK1s......

My Previous Exhibition Layout - The Sheaf Valley Railway
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24.0

My Current Exhibition Layout - Wenlock
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23228.0

guest311

Quote from: gwrwill on February 20, 2012, 07:28:01 PM
not got the courage to try myself ;D ;D ;D looking for a recommendations for a respray as i have never ventured into this before.thanks in advance :thumbsup:

contact Chris on here, does a great job and not overpriced.

really pleased with the ones he's done for me.

would also suggest Tank, but he can only do camo and toothpaste  :evil:

cheers

alan

Tank

Cheers Alan, I think!  LOL

What are you looking for exactly Will?  I'm sure you could do it.  ;)

longbridge

I find it very rewarding to do the job myself.

Have you thought of practicing on an old piece of rolling stock first as you may be pleasantly surprised with the results and how easy it really is, you could then find the courage to go onto more important items.

I soak my models in Non Caustic Oven Cleaner, wash them in luke warm water using an old toothbrush, dry them and spray them with Tamiya Spray Paint in Cans.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

EtchedPixels

Definitely worth picking up an old body and having a go - especially for the simpler liveries. It takes a few goes to get loco painting to an ok standard but its worth it.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Newportnobby

Quote from: EtchedPixels on February 20, 2012, 09:45:50 PM
Definitely worth picking up an old body and having a go

Burke & Hare eat your heart out (unfortunate turn of phrase)

brbluewill

right gonna have a bash with a wagon :o ;D any tips ;D ;D

EtchedPixels

- Everything clean
- Stir paint well - if your matt paints are glossy usually it means you didn't stir them properly
- Thin coats of paint
- Brush in multiple directions, in particular if you've got a sticking out bar or strut brush along the edges of it as well to get rid of any excess paint.
- If using acrylic don't be tempted to go back over an area a minute later to touch it up - let it dry and then revisit or it'll show marks

For primers the Games Workshop white is really good and generally available, the black isn't a good primer for materials but is nice matt black for things like kettles and beats doing it all with a brush.

Alan

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

brbluewill

thanks alan will have a bash at the weekend :o will post pics as long as no one laughs ;D ;D ;D ;D

longbridge

Pleased to hear you are having a crack at painting them yourself, very rewarding :thumbsup:

You might also like to try Tamiya spray paint for a truly professional job, quick easy and looks great.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Chris

My repaints have all been done with Holts car paints. I strip off the old livery with Mr Muscle oven cleaner, rinse thorougly then spray on a coat of grey primer to check for blemishes. Once happy another final coat of primer goes on before the main colours. If you need to mask anything would recommend Tamiya masking tape.

If you'd prefer someone else to repaint your loco feel free to drop me a PM.

Newportnobby

Quote from: gwrwill on February 21, 2012, 05:22:14 PM
thanks alan will have a bash at the weekend :o will post pics as long as no one laughs ;D ;D ;D ;D

To quote a line from Lady Scottishplay "but screw your courage to the sticking place and you'll not fail" (or words to that effect ???)

brbluewill

Quote from: Chris on February 21, 2012, 09:30:02 PM
My repaints have all been done with Holts car paints. I strip off the old livery with Mr Muscle oven cleaner, rinse thorougly then spray on a coat of grey primer to check for blemishes. Once happy another final coat of primer goes on before the main colours. If you need to mask anything would recommend Tamiya masking tape.

If you'd prefer someone else to repaint your loco feel free to drop me a PM.

cheers chris will have a bash at a wagon or two and see if i feel adventurous or not ;D if not i will be in touch :thumbsup:

TPE NORTH

Hi guys. Ive got a full virgin mk3 set but i can not seem to find a virgin mk3 DVT. Im toying with the idea of buying DVT and sending it away for repainting. Any suggestions or examples of good work, so should i hang on until 1 in virgin livery comes avaliable. Alan

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations