Graham Farish 377-000

Started by exmouthcraig, November 24, 2018, 06:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exmouthcraig

:helpneededsign:

Evening all, does anyone have any knowledge of IF or WHEN farish are to reissue these wonderful 40T Sealions in olive green?

I unfortunately discovered photos of a Bulleid locomotive hauling a 10wagon load of these in Feb 14 and after a day of trawling found 1 shop with 5 left. Problem is id love 5more to weather to match but also another 10 weathered and loaded.

I contemplated getting them in the other later liveries but finding 5 of any seems  impossible. I discovered 8 for sale in Spain in a desert sand colour but they disappeared before a bid could be placed.

I saw a 377-000A listed at some point but as far as I'm aware they haven't been released.

Any info will be greatly appreciated

:thankyousign:

Yet_Another

I have a vague memory that Bachmann have said that these will not be re-released, as the cost would be prohibitive.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

carderrail

It was 2010 when they were last produced.....if they do produce them I bet the price will be a lot higher than the original models.

Regards

Tony

exmouthcraig

:thankyousign: for your info.

Looks like I'll have to track down some NGS kits then

bluedepot

revolution, sonic, realtrack, cavalex, djm...

this would be a good wagon to produce if bachmann really have given up on them in n

Bob G

Quote from: exmouthcraig on November 24, 2018, 06:00:28 PM

Evening all, does anyone have any knowledge of IF or WHEN farish are to reissue these wonderful 40T Sealions in olive green?

I unfortunately discovered photos of a Bulleid locomotive hauling a 10wagon load of these in Feb 14 and after a day of trawling found 1 shop with 5 left. Problem is id love 5more to weather to match but also another 10 weathered and loaded.

I contemplated getting them in the other later liveries but finding 5 of any seems  impossible. I discovered 8 for sale in Spain in a desert sand colour but they disappeared before a bid could be placed.

I saw a 377-000A listed at some point but as far as I'm aware they haven't been released.

377-000 were done in 2009. 377-000A were done in 2010. Nothing else since, AFAIK.
The Bullied could have been hauling the original SR designed Walrus in black. These were then "copied" by BR to give the very very similar Seacow (riveted) or Sealion (welded).
The model is in fact a Seacow.

I dont see how the cost would be prohibitive. There are many complex wagons about right now, and they are all pretty expensive, but why do they say prohibitively so?

Bob

exmouthcraig

Quote from: bluedepot on November 24, 2018, 10:37:26 PM
revolution, sonic, realtrack, cavalex, djm...

this would be a good wagon to produce if bachmann really have given up on them in n

All who seem to be tied up with plenty of other projects.

Maybe the NGS could purchase the moulds from Bachmann to prevent these wagons disappearing all together. Presumably the set up  costing is where the money gets spent so to pay for those costs produce more models?

Yet_Another

Regarding the Sealions/Seacows: I spoke to both Bachmann and the NGS today, and there are no plans for further Graham Farish releases, but the NGS kit is well advanced for reissue. I may have to watch out for that...
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Bob G

Blimey. Glad I got my dozen  then.

Steven B

Quote from: exmouthcraig on November 24, 2018, 11:11:32 PM
Presumably the set up  costing is where the money gets spent so to pay for those costs produce more models?

Producing the plastic parts from the molds is the least expensive part of producing a wagon.

The problem with the Seacow/Sealion is the cost of putting all the bits together to make a finished model. Farish reps told me a few years ago that the RRP would be so high they wouldn't sell enough - £30-40 per wagon was mentioned.

Bob G

Quote from: Steven B on November 26, 2018, 09:18:29 AM
Presumably the set up  costing is where the money gets spent so to pay for those costs produce more models?

Producing the plastic parts from the molds is the least expensive part of producing a wagon.

The problem with the Seacow/Sealion is the cost of putting all the bits together to make a finished model. Farish reps told me a few years ago that the RRP would be so high they wouldn't sell enough - £30-40 per wagon was mentioned.

A bit like the Kernow Thumper in OO. Lots of tiny parts which when first envisaged, Chinese wages were lower, so not a problem. Now its too expensive. This is where Hornby's "Design Clever" concept wins out.

Bob

njee20

Quote from: Steven B on November 26, 2018, 09:18:29 AM

Bachmann have said that with several wagons, the IPA car carriers in OO gauge (and hence their not being downsized) are the same. Given the Seacows sell for over £40 second hand I'm not sure that would be a barrier.  Others they've obviously decided the market will weather it - re-runs of FIA container pairs, PCA and JPA cement tankers etc are far more expensive than original runs, for an identical product. I guess it's just a reflection of increased labour costs on those wagons with lots of separately (by the factory) applied details.

NGS-PO

Quote from: Bob G on November 24, 2018, 11:06:12 PM
Quote from: exmouthcraig on November 24, 2018, 06:00:28 PM

I dont see how the cost would be prohibitive. There are many complex wagons about right now, and they are all pretty expensive, but why do they say prohibitively so?

Bob

Interestingly, Dapol are on record as saying the same thing about their Dogfish (Dogfishes ?)

They have said that the price they would have to charge the modeller would be excessive. The Implication being that no-one would buy them at the price they'd have to charge. I'm sure that was on their Dapol Digest.

I'm guessing the Seacow situation is similar ?
If you know someone who's depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn't a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they're going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It's hard to be a friend to someone who's depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do."

(PLEASE NOTE: Unless where obviously posting on behalf of the NGS, all posts and views are my own and not connected/endorsed by the Society.)

njee20

I'm guessing with the Seacows it's the handrails at the end which are particularly fiddly. I recall that was far and away the hardest part of the NGS kit too. I guess if they take a few minutes per wagon versus seconds to apply (say) some brake gear or something to another wagon then something which is ostensibly complex may actually be far easier to put together.

WesternKing

I had eight but managed to buy a couple of second hand ones recently For £22 each so I now have ten which I'm happy with but just seen there's half a dozen currently for sale on eBay, be interesting to see how much they sell for!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations